Anonymous shopper pays for Marine's engagement ring

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
A Marine who's planning to marry a Texan got an early Christmas present: A fellow shopper picked up the tab for a $3,000 diamond engagement ring after the two struck up a conversation in a jewelry store.

The 54-year-old Dallas woman who paid for the 1-carat, princess cut diamond ring wants to remain anonymous, Helzberg Diamonds spokeswoman Stacey McBride told The Associated Press on Friday.

The woman's father was in the military, her brother was a Marine who died in Vietnam and her nephew just got back from Iraq, McBride said.

Marine James Lynaugh, 28, of Patuxent River, Md., was shopping Thursday at the Helzberg Diamonds store at a mall in Tyler.

Lynaugh and the anonymous shopper discussed their mutual military connections. Lynaugh opened a store credit account to buy the ring, then left with it.

After the other shopper paid for her items, she inquired whether Lynaugh's credit charge could be reversed. She didn't even ask about the cost of the ring, McBride said.

"So we were able to reverse that charge, and she paid in full with a check," McBride said.

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/gen/ap/TX_Brite_Marine_Engagement.html

What a great gesture. It's wonderful when people step up and and express their generosity, especially when those who receive it, didn't ask for it, didn't expect it. and disdn't see it coming. I haven't ever puchased a diamond ring in this way for anybody, nor can I imagine myself doing it, but there have been more than a few times, when I've done some of these out-of-the blue things, and it is always so very rewarding to me.

Sometimes they are just very little things; like, years ago, when I saw two young boys literally hanging from the freezer that held the ice cream half gallons at the local market, while their mom patiently explained to them that there wasn't enough money to buy any ice cream. When she wasn't watching I asked them which was their favorite, and then got it out of thee freezer for them, and gave them $5 to pay for it, and told them to give it to their mom. She tracked me down before I managed to get out of the store, and expressed how much she was touched by my good will gesture, and how much she really wanted to buy it for the boys herself, but just didn't have enough moiney.. I always say to them that someday, maybe they can do something nice for someone else, and if so, take advatage of the opportunity.

Buzzm1 said:
I always say to them that someday, maybe they can do something nice for someone else, and if so, take advatage of the opportunity.

Thank you Buzz, for keeping 'the Chain'.

Clay Walker's 'Chain of Love'.
You dont owe me a thing
I been there too
Someone once helped me out
Just the way I'm helpin you
If you really wanna pay me back
Here's what you do]
Don't let the chain of love
End with you

mysteriew said:
Thank you Buzz, for keeping 'the Chain'.

Clay Walker's 'Chain of Love'.
Thank You mysteriew. This has been quite a year for me; I can't begin to tell you how "at peace" I feel within myself, for having been blessed enough to have really been able to give a lot this past year. Far more than, if asked, I could have ever imagined myself even thinking about giving. The amazing part of it is, it as if I am not giving anything because I haven't felt any financial pain, or loss of money, at all; . It's not that I am wealthy at all, or even have a high income; the money, I do have coming in, just seems to go an awfully long way. I can't rreally explain it; of course I am not spending $10,000 going here, and $10,000 going there, either, and I do consistently find really good deals on just about everything.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Witchee
Back