"I believe in miracles"

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
Yesterday, Jerry and Lisa Toops recounted what they called a miracle during a news conference at SSM Cardinal Glennon Children’s Hospital. One of their three children, 5-year-old Tanner, is still recovering there. The other children, 3-year-old Tara and 7-month-old Tucker, were released from the hospital Sunday.

The reservoir break happened in sparsely populated Reynolds County. The Toops’ home in Johnson’s Shut-Ins State Park, where Jerry Toops was superintendent, was the only house destroyed.

Toops, 42, wanted to rescue his children and wife in those pre-dawn moments, but a wall of water hit him like a "head-on collision" in his bedroom. He estimated he swam upward through 20 or 30 feet of water until he reached the roof of his home. From there, he spotted no sign of his family.

"I knelt down and prayed. I prayed they would be all right," he said. He was swept away as the roof crumbled.

Lisa Toops, 38, had fallen asleep while feeding their youngest child on a couch around 4 a.m., and she heard the roar shortly before daybreak. "I yelled, ‘Jerry, get the kids.’ "

She grabbed the baby and rushed to Tanner’s bedroom. They made it as far as the end of the bed before the frigid water arrived.

"It took all of 10 seconds to completely fill the room," Toops said. She told Tanner to hold his breath and to pray "Jesus save us" as the water struck.

Outside of the house, Tanner was washed away while Toops kept the baby in her arms. She heard Tanner calling "Mommy," located him and managed to keep both boys near her until rescuers arrived.

Neither parent had time to reach Tara, who made it through the waters on her own, perhaps helped by doggy-paddle lessons she’d gotten in a backyard wading pool.

Jerry Toops fought the waters by grabbing onto anything he could find, though trees and pieces of roof kept crumbling once he had gotten hold. He made his way into a tree and climbed down when he heard emergency responders, perhaps 90 minutes after the water first struck.

"If anybody lives, I want to be there for whoever lives," he prayed.

Suffering from hypothermia, he was given a coat and was receiving treatment in an ambulance as he saw something nearly unbelievable - rescuers returning with the rest of his family.

"You know, I believe in miracles, and I believe this was one," he said, his voice breaking.

All three children were suffering from hypothermia as they were rushed to the hospital in St. Louis, 120 miles from their home. All were on respirators for a time. Tanner was upgraded earlier this week to fair condition. In addition to hypothermia, he was near cardiac arrest at one point and also needed skin grafts on his legs after he was burned during the rewarming process shortly after his rescue.
http://www.showmenews.com/2005/Dec/20051224News018.asp

amandab said:
How would that happen, exactly?

A person suffering from hypothermia needs to be gradually warmed, yet fairly quickly. Usually by warm baths or heat therapy packs. Evidently, when going through the warming procedure, someone didn't consider the fact that the child's skin would be more tender and more suseptible to burns.
Still that must have been a major burn as the child needed skin grafts.

This family is my sisters, best friend's brother. I still can't believe they all made it. My stomach hurts every time I think about it.

lisa0477 said:
This family is my sisters, best friend's brother. I still can't believe they all made it. My stomach hurts every time I think about it.
I BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!

lisa0477 said:

It is scary. Yet they are so very lucky and they realize it.
I worked with a service agency that dealt with people who had fires- and I saw this a lot. They might have lost everything- but they would still tell you how very lucky they were.
It is only at a time like that, that you know that losing everything you own, you can really understand how lucky you can be.
I read the article. This family went through H*!!. They were extremly lucky, and they realize it. They will be afraid for a while when it rains hard. They will probably be closer and appreciate each other more. And they need all of the help they can get. But they will survive it as stronger people.

I also believe in Miracles... :dance: Man can't do everything on his own

mysteriew said:
A person suffering from hypothermia needs to be gradually warmed, yet fairly quickly. Usually by warm baths or heat therapy packs. Evidently, when going through the warming procedure, someone didn't consider the fact that the child's skin would be more tender and more suseptible to burns.
Still that must have been a major burn as the child needed skin grafts.

Thanks for the explanation. :)

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clintbentwood