1217 users online (207 members and 1010 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 26
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    343

    Why Christmas?

    Has anyone ever considered why this crime occurred on Christmas night? It must have some significance. Here's what I thought of to start...

    1 - It is a stressful time of year. Sometimes people have a short fuse around Christmas.

    2 - For those who do not have stable relationships with their family (or none at all), it can be a very sad and/or difficult time of year. I'm thinking about this line of reasoning as suggesting a loner/outsider/intruder.

    3 - There is, of course, the obvious religious significance.

    4 - People's movements, if you will, around Christmas, are well-known by others. In other words, friends and family usually know where you are going when, etc...

    5 - Parents stay up late (wrapping gifts/playing Santa) and children wake up early to open their gifts (making this date a somewhat odd time to choose to break into someone's home)

    6 - Thinking from the intruder perspective, if this was a crime of revenge, this crime becomes especially powerful/emotional by occurring on Christmas.

    Any one else have any thoughts on this? I guess it really bends either way, but it does seem to be significant one way or the other. However, I do think it points away from the complete stranger intruder theory, which I have never bought. Intruder, maybe, but not a stranger. Had there not been a 3-page ransom note, I would think that this could be a break-in gone terribly wrong, i.e., the intruder thought the Ramseys were gone for the holidays, but it turned out they were not.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    714
    The date of the murder is the ONLY reason the case received national publicity to begin with, IMO.
    I agree with you on all your points especially the lack of intruder presence in a very publicly busy household during this time of year.

    I think the murder was pre-meditated to occur on a holiday which was celebrated in publicly extravagant fashion every year by the murderer. It's the same reason why JonBenet's date of death is engraved on her tombstone as December 25, 1996, and not the more likely correct date of December 26. ( after midnight and well before dawn).
    JMO, but with 9 years of theory behind the reasoning.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkoflaura
    The date of the murder is the ONLY reason the case received national publicity to begin with, IMO.
    I agree with you on all your points especially the lack of intruder presence in a very publicly busy household during this time of year.

    I think the murder was pre-meditated to occur on a holiday which was celebrated in publicly extravagant fashion every year by the murderer. It's the same reason why JonBenet's date of death is engraved on her tombstone as December 25, 1996, and not the more likely correct date of December 26. ( after midnight and well before dawn).
    JMO, but with 9 years of theory behind the reasoning.

    Thinkofllaura,

    I think the TV videos of JonBenet suggestively dancing and singing in full makeup and elaborate costumes was the main ingredient that got the public's attention in this case.

    However, I agree that it's not likely that JonBenet died on December 25. It appears the Ramseys may have engaged is some puffery to help make the crime sound more sensational and thus gain additional sympathy by having December 25 put on the tombstone instead of the obvious December 26.

    But I also have an optional theory about why the date of December 25 was engraved on the tombstone. IMO there was a fifth person in the house that night -- a person who was let in by Burke but who was well known by the rest of the family. If the crime was committed by children, Colorado law states that if the child is under 10 years of age then he is legally not culpable and cannot be prosecuted. What if the fifth person in the house that night turned 10 years old on December 26?

    By engraving December 25 on the tombstone, it would create reasonable doubt that the perp was not yet 10 years old and thus not legally culpable of a crime.

    If Burke was involved in the crime he is not culpable because he didn't turn 10 years old until four weeks after the crime, but maybe his friend wasn't as lucky. So the Ramseys covered him by changing the date on the tombstone to create doubt with respect to the date of death.

    BlueCrab

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Voice of Reason
    Has anyone ever considered why this crime occurred on Christmas night? It must have some significance. Here's what I thought of to start...

    1 - It is a stressful time of year. Sometimes people have a short fuse around Christmas.
    Which is probably why JonBenet was hit by a member of her own family who flew off the handle for some reason.

    There exist several message boards about the Ramsey case, and the Ramseys do seem to have some fervent advocates there.
    Tomorrow it will be nine years since JonBenet's dead body was put down beside a gaily decorated Christmas tree by her father John who had carried her up from the basement.

    And I'd like to ask every single one of those Ramsey supporters: Soon after that, the parents John and Patsy Ramsey simply walked away, letting their dead little girl lie there. Do you have any plausible explanation for that??? Would YOU have done the same thing, you Ramsey supporters??? Normally parents who have lost their child to such a tragic death resist leaving the body, but the Ramseys' intention obviously was (excuse the sarcasm): "Let's get outa here as fast as we can before the investigators begin to smell a rat!"
    Last edited by rashomon; 12-25-2005 at 07:24 PM. Reason: spelling mistake

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    484
    Quote Originally Posted by rashomon
    And I'd like to ask every single one of those Ramsey supporters: Soon after that, the parents John and Patsy Ramsey simply walked away, letting their dead little girl lie there. Do you have any plausible explanation for that??? Would YOU have done the same thing, you Ramsey supporters??? Normally parents who have lost their child to such a tragic death resist leaving the body, but the Ramseys' intention obviously was (excuse the sarcasm): "Let's get outa here as fast as we can before the investigators begin to smell a rat!"
    You will get the standard answer, "They had to leave the house." Yes, but they only had to leave as far as the outside of the crime scene tape. Nothing stopped the Ramsey family from setting up camp across the street at the Barnhills. Surely the Barnhills would not have refused them.
    "That is my theory, it is mine, and belongs to me and I own it, and what it is too." -- Anne Elk

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pa, USA
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by why_nutt
    You will get the standard answer, "They had to leave the house." Yes, but they only had to leave as far as the outside of the crime scene tape. Nothing stopped the Ramsey family from setting up camp across the street at the Barnhills. Surely the Barnhills would not have refused them.
    How the RDI love to have it both ways.

    First you bash the R's for not acting like they were afraid of any "faction" who may harm them by acting to casual.
    Then bash them for not wanting to stay around the same place where that faction may be.
    They can't win either way.

    Once JBR was found dead I would imagine the R's no longer knew who they could trust in this neigborhood of "friends".

  7. #7
    IrishMist's Avatar
    IrishMist is offline You can't control the wind - but you can adjust your sails
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Southeastern Tennessee
    Posts
    7,469
    I've thought about this as well, VOR. And, as usual, I see it going both ways! But there is one more thought I'd like to add-

    7. If it was an intruder, it would have to be someone that could spend the majority of the day and/or night away without friends/family noticing...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    14,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman
    How the RDI love to have it both ways.

    First you bash the R's for not acting like they were afraid of any "faction" who may harm them by acting to casual.
    Then bash them for not wanting to stay around the same place where that faction may be.
    They can't win either way.

    Once JBR was found dead I would imagine the R's no longer knew who they could trust in this neigborhood of "friends".

    But the Ramsey's did sort of contradict themselves. They say they were afraid of a faction even though John had already mentioned an 'inside job' They went to a friend's home but why not rent a suite and wait for their family to come and care for them? I can't imagine endangering the lives of friends or calling any attention to the children of others. I don't believe I've read of any extreme fear or terror for the remaining children in the Ramsey's or any of their friends.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by Zman
    Once JBR was found dead I would imagine the R's no longer knew who they could trust in this neigborhood of "friends".
    So their daughter was found murdered. The crime scene had changed abruptly from kidnapping to murder.
    So far the Ramseys had been treated with respect by the police. And as soon as it becomes clear that the child was murdered, the Ramseys suddenly try to get away from the police as fast as possible? Instead of imploring them to do anything in their power to find the killer at once?
    And it is an incredible scandal of course that nobody stopped them and took them to the police headquarters to be questioned.
    When a dead child is found in her parents' home you must look at the parents. For statistics are grim: a large number of children killed are killed by family members, and the percentage is even higher if the child was killed in its own home.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Pa, USA
    Posts
    448
    Quote Originally Posted by rashomon
    So their daughter was found murdered. The crime scene had changed abruptly from kidnapping to murder.
    So far the Ramseys had been treated with respect by the police. And as soon as it becomes clear that the child was murdered, the Ramseys suddenly try to get away from the police as fast as possible? Instead of imploring them to do anything in their power to find the killer at once?
    And it is an incredible scandal of course that nobody stopped them and took them to the police headquarters to be questioned.
    When a dead child is found in her parents' home you must look at the parents. For statistics are grim: a large number of children killed are killed by family members, and the percentage is even higher if the child was killed in its own home.
    I agree, however it's a percentage, not 100%. And I'll bet the percentage of crimes as strange as the JBR murder are pretty low.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,384
    Someone was giving themselves an Xmas gift. And John says Burke was asleep and Patsy was asleep but no one is vouching that John was asleep. Except John.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Phila suburbia
    Posts
    207
    My thoughts are that it could be someone who knows the R's are going to be traveling to Charlevois and then on to Disney.It might be this is the last night to have fun with JBR . Maybe they tried at the White's but something happened. That could be the reason it had to be that night,not because it was Christmas.
    Remember school and colleges were on break.
    I think the person was waiting for the right time to get her alone but as we know the R.s were busy with lots of people around. It might have just come down to the fact that this was last time for awhile to have JBR (and other kids?)
    alone

  13. #13

    Why Christmas?

    Why Christmas? Because it's Party Time. And pedophiles are more active at Party Time. It's a great cover for their illicit activities.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiesheila
    Why Christmas? Because it's Party Time. And pedophiles are more active at Party Time. It's a great cover for their illicit activities.
    Christmas is also travel time. A great cover for foreign factions travelling internationally on a mission.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    116
    That's NOT true!
    The ONLY reason why JonBenet's case went world wide is because of her Beauty Pageants,
    she would have just been another ordinary child who got murdered, until the Press got a hold of her pageant photos and that's when the case blew up and went world wide.


    Quote Originally Posted by Thinkoflaura
    The date of the murder is the ONLY reason the case received national publicity to begin with, IMO.
    I agree with you on all your points especially the lack of intruder presence in a very publicly busy household during this time of year.

    I think the murder was pre-meditated to occur on a holiday which was celebrated in publicly extravagant fashion every year by the murderer. It's the same reason why JonBenet's date of death is engraved on her tombstone as December 25, 1996, and not the more likely correct date of December 26. ( after midnight and well before dawn).
    JMO, but with 9 years of theory behind the reasoning.
    Aunt Pam: JonBenet why don't you put your shoes on? JonBenet: Because I want to feel the rhythm of the earth under my feet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast