10 Little balloons, the greatest gift they could give

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
I didn't want to post this in the smile forum, it made me cry. You just have to read this. So sad, but so inspirational.

This happened in our city, not too many days before Christmas.

And as many instructive stories do, it begins with great sadness — but ends with a great gift.

Denise, 15, was visiting her friends on the evening of Nov. 13 at their home, in the James A. Cayce public housing development on South Seventh Street. The girls were in an upstairs bedroom — fixing each others' hair, they said — when it happened.

Gunshots sounded on the street below. Denise's two friends, who knew the routine, immediately dropped to the bedroom floor for cover. But Denise did not know and did not drop for cover. And her young life ended.

So this was the awful thing that had happened. And the grief, sadness and loss kept happening, the circles spreading outward to envelop family and neighbors and city.

What's a neighborhood to do when such a random horror happens — when a beautiful and good girl such as Denise is lost because she was sitting in the wrong space at the wrong moment?

Where should the anger go when a young life is canceled because somewhere out the window in the dark, down on the street below, there is a gun and madness?

So here is what happened next:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051225/OPINION03/512250357/1054

mysteriew said:
I didn't want to post this in the smile forum, it made me cry. You just have to read this. So sad, but so inspirational.

This happened in our city, not too many days before Christmas.

And as many instructive stories do, it begins with great sadness — but ends with a great gift.

Denise, 15, was visiting her friends on the evening of Nov. 13 at their home, in the James A. Cayce public housing development on South Seventh Street. The girls were in an upstairs bedroom — fixing each others' hair, they said — when it happened.

Gunshots sounded on the street below. Denise's two friends, who knew the routine, immediately dropped to the bedroom floor for cover. But Denise did not know and did not drop for cover. And her young life ended.

So this was the awful thing that had happened. And the grief, sadness and loss kept happening, the circles spreading outward to envelop family and neighbors and city.

What's a neighborhood to do when such a random horror happens — when a beautiful and good girl such as Denise is lost because she was sitting in the wrong space at the wrong moment?

Where should the anger go when a young life is canceled because somewhere out the window in the dark, down on the street below, there is a gun and madness?

So here is what happened next:
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051225/OPINION03/512250357/1054
Very sweet story! Thanks so much for sharing it this Christmas morning!

that is such a touching story....so sad........what I find horrific is the *who knew the routine* part of the paragraph....is life really like that in America ? You hear a loud bang and you hit the floor ?

That is what got to me Goose. Little kids and they are responding as if they are soldiers in a war. :banghead:

Hey, Goose, in some larger cities in America that is exactly what it is like. In south Atlanta there was a home invasion last night and a little girl was shot in the leg for a small amount of money. The driveby shootings happen all the time....many children have been injured or killed.

God be kind to the noble boys
Who are somebodies pride and joy!:clap:

I keep thinking that those boys are potiental gang members. They are still young and impressionable. Yet she made the girl a person to them. She made the girl less an object of neighborhood gossip, and became a person. And they were made to feel some empathy for her. Hopefully that will stick with them.
Maybe it will make a difference to their lives someday.

I`m rather shocked at that...over here if we her a loud bang we just assune it`s a car backfiring (woman driver of course). I honestly don`t know if I could live in conditions like you describe. I don`t have any children yet (big hint) but I would be petrified every time they were away from me . Please be careful.

GoldenGoose said:
I`m rather shocked at that...over here if we her a loud bang we just assune it`s a car backfiring (woman driver of course). I honestly don`t know if I could live in conditions like you describe. I don`t have any children yet (big hint) but I would be petrified every time they were away from me . Please be careful.
It's a very very sad childhood for many children. Children cannot go out to play, and are not even safe in their own homes. Those children see death and dying way before they should.

"Woman driver of course" :slap:

GoldenGoose said:

Hey, what does the driver have to do with the car backfiring?

Seriously, it is not like that everywhere. Most big cities have a problem section, where it might be common. And that is what you hear so much of.
But most of the country it is pretty rare to hear gunfire.

Now in my area I will hear gunfire infrequently, and it doesn't bother me too much unless it gets close. It is usually just hunters or neighbors trying out a new gun.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PoignantEcho
Back