One Year Anniversary of the Tsunami

It's too sad to even imagine; we can only see the pictures on TV or read about it. I can't imagine such a thing happening and the devastation to the people and families.

Of course the earthquake in Pakistan was devastating also, as well as Katrina for us. We have our own problems with New Orleans for years to come; rebuilding.

We have a large number of natural disasters - forces of nature - that have happened; it makes you wonder what's going on. Some of them, like bad storms, they definitely think are being increased by global warming.

I never even had even heard of a Tsunami till last year.

Marthatex said:
It's too sad to even imagine; we can only see the pictures on TV or read about it. I can't imagine such a thing happening and the devastation to the people and families.

Of course the earthquake in Pakistan was devastating also, as well as Katrina for us. We have our own problems with New Orleans for years to come; rebuilding.

We have a large number of natural disasters - forces of nature - that have happened; it makes you wonder what's going on. Some of them, like bad storms, they definitely think are being increased by global warming.

I never even had even heard of a Tsunami till last year.
Let's hope we don't hear of another Tsunami anytime soon. With respect to global warming, for a few to still have a stance, that the problem is mostly imagined, lets me know they have to be idiots. More, and more, I read of the effects that a 1 degree temperature change is having on certain areas; in the meantime the temperature increase is much higher at the Poles, and the ice packs, and glaciers, are rapidly receding. That, coupled wuth the effects of continued deforestation in the Amazon, and so many third world countries, along with the rapidly increasing carbon dioxode levels, are rapidly changing the weather patterns throughout the world.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605/ggccebro/chapter1.html

"Tsunami of Tears"

The young boy looks at the puddle so small
Reflecting, warmest memories of all
His cozy little home, sisters all laugh
Baby brother father's giving a bath.

Seaside village waking, friends fill the streets
Mending nets, smells of yummy breakfast treats
Fishermen returned a bountiful catch
Soothing sunshine, soft summer breeze to match

Wave like a mountain races to their shore
Screaming, life splintered, floating piece of floor
Tumbling and spinning fury of the sea
Coming to rest in the branch of a tree

Small boy looking, no one left to cuddle
Tears rolling down, drip in the lil puddle
Crushing despair, will he ever feel joy?
Shimmering wings surround the little boy. . .

Copyright ©2005 Rocky Shorz

DK don't forget, for us American's this tragedy hit on Christmas Day, not the 26th...
It was a shocking ending to a beautiful Christmas Day

Queen delivers message

LONDON, England (CNN) -- Queen Elizabeth II delivered a somber annual Christmas message, focusing on the suffering wrought by the "dreadful events" of the past 12 months -- the Asian tsunami, the Pakistan-Indian earthquake, the hurricanes in the United States and the Caribbean, and the suicide bombings in London.

But the silver lining amid the series of "natural and human tragedies" was "a quite remarkable humanitarian response" -- a reminder of how faith can motivate people to "work together."

"This series of dreadful events has brought loss and suffering to so many people and their families and friends -- not only in the countries directly affected, but here in Britain and throughout the commonwealth," she said.

She said that during this Christmas her "thoughts are especially with those everywhere who are grieving the loss of loved ones during what for so many has been such a terrible year."

The queen said that in Britain itself "many people's lives were totally changed by the London bombings in July" and she said "I have sometimes thought that humanity seemed to have turned on itself -- with wars, civil disturbances and acts of brutal terrorism."

She called the humanitarian response after the tragedies from "people of compassion" as "quite remarkable," noting that religious faith was the inspiration "in many cases" for such a reaction.

"Christianity is not the only religion to teach its followers to help others and to treat your neighbor as you would want to be treated yourself. It has been clear that in the course of this year relief workers and financial support have come from members of every faith and from every corner of the world."

Buzzm1 said:
Let's hope we don't hear of another Tsunami anytime soon. With respect to global warming, for a few to still have a stance, that the problem is mostly imagined, lets me know they have to be idiots. More, and more, I read of the effects that a 1 degree temperature change is having on certain areas; in the meantime the temperature increase is much higher at the Poles, and the ice packs, and glaciers, are rapidly receding. That, coupled wuth the effects of continued deforestation in the Amazon, and so many third world countries, along with the rapidly increasing carbon dioxode levels, are rapidly changing the weather patterns throughout the world.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/1605/ggccebro/chapter1.html

Excellent charts, Buzz; thanks. We all should learn more - I am a klutz at science myself, but I've always been interested in environmental things.

Rocky, I absolutely love that poem about the boy. Wow, we have some talented people here at Websleuths.

I watched a two hour presentation on the Tsunami last night on the Discovery channel. They have combined all available film--even some from cameras found much later after the tsumani, as I recognised a few of the segments that had later been reported as such. It was wonderfully done and included so much footage, ten times more than I had ever seen before, I got more of a feel as to the extent of the damage, and the complete anguish of individuals from large families, where they were the only one who survived.

I also saw one segment, where a PHD, who had spent 20 years studying a very primitive tribe that existed on a few very small islands very close to the origin of the Tsunami. He was anxious to return to these islands as he expected the people to be devastated, much as on the mainland. Much to his surprise, not one member of the tribe died during the Tsunami waves that swept their islands. They had learned spiritual lessons from their ancestors, that when the water goes out, as it did first, their people are to flee inland, which they did, and which saved them all. That's being in touch with the nature around you.

The elephants, on the mainland, fled inland too--something that they too learned from their ancestors.

Buzzm1 said:
I also saw one segment, where a PHD, who had spent 20 years studying a very primitive tribe that existed on a few very small islands very close to the origin of the Tsunami. He was anxious to return to these islands as he expected the people to be devastated, much as on the mainland. Much to his surprise, not one member of the tribe died during the Tsunami waves that swept their islands. They had learned spiritual lessons from their ancestors, that when the water goes out, as it did first, their people are to flee inland, which they did, and which saved them all. That's being in touch with the nature around you.

The elephants, on the mainland, fled inland too--something that they too learned from their ancestors.

Yes, they report that many many people died because they actually went to the shoreline to watch and wonder why the ocean was receding.

Maybe So said:
Yes, they report that many many people died because they actually went to the shoreline to watch and wonder why the ocean was receding.
It gives me chills to think of what they went through, one of my biggest fears is water. I like the beach and water but I am terrified of it...

michelle said:
It gives me chills to think of what they went through, one of my biggest fears is water. I like the beach and water but I am terrified of it...
Michelle, the two hour presentation was chilling to watch, seeing literally thousands of people being swept away. Even after the first wave hit, and receded, people left their places of safety and began mingling among some of the devastation, and then the second, much larger wave came in and caught most of them in the open.

Buzzman1,

Have you seen the special on either Discovery or National Geographic about America's tsunami? It is very well done and will scare the crap out of you. It is talking about what would happen if one were to hit the east coast as many scientist predict will happen some day. Here is a link to some info on it.
http://www.rense.com/general13/tidal.htm

A wave higher than Nelson's Column and travelling faster than a jet aircraft will devastate the eastern seaboard of America and inundate much of southern Britain, say scientists who have analysed the effects of a future volcanic eruption in the Canary Islands.

A massive slab of rock twice the volume of the Isle of Man would break away from the island of La Palma and smash into the Atlantic Ocean to cause a tsunami - a monster wave - bigger than any recorded, the scientists warned yesterday.

more at the link...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth
Back