NE - Omaha Police kill mentally ill Native man, Zachary Bearheels, June 2017

Oh my God.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

The chief also said that dragging him by his hair and punching his head while he was motionless during the final strikes were also violations of the department's policy.

No words.

RIP Zachary. :rose:

Fired?

Wasn't there four them?

I hope they get more than merely fired.

Sent from my Life One X2 using Tapatalk

I don't even know how many total LE and Emergency Responders were involved. But yes, two officers will be, or have been fired. I'm trying to keep an eye out for updates or some sort of news regarding criminal charges, but not much is coming out!

Native Americans die more than blacks from police issues

New Details in police killing of Zachary Bearheels

http://www.wowt.com/content/news/New-details-in-case-of-mentally-ill-man-who-died-in-OPD-custody-428040663.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Apparently he did not die from his head wounds, according to the DA in Omaha.

Kleine said: "It's a difficult situation that an officer is in. They're trained and hopefully their actions comply with their training... The question here is whether excessive force was used against this mentally ill person."

If his COD isn't related to what they did to him that's one thing, but the way they treated him is another.

Some questions :

Should he have been traveling ALONE ? Maybe a family member could've traveled with him --for his own safety ?

What is wrong with that police department that they cannot recognize a mentally ill/retarded man ...from a man under the influence of drugs ? I haven't worked in LE but it can't be that difficult. Just how poorly trained were these cops ? It's not rocket science.
The difference between a mentally ill person and a person on drugs are vast. Zachary posed no threat at any time, since he was only confused and wanting to get home.

What was with the police dragging him by his hair ? That's what little kids do during a fight... not adults.
Why didn't they just be polite --and ASK Zachary to please stand up and get back in the cruiser.

Such simple solutions that LE could've used-- but they (LE) escalated it --and now a man is dead.

Rest in peace, Zachary !

I have lived in Omaha since 1965. For much of that time this was a city in effect run by the Police. At least one and possibly two mayors were run out of office by the Department, for not playing ball with the 'boys in blue'. It was considered common knowledge that many of them planted evidence to secure convictions. About a decade ago some of that began to change. Omaha is growing by leaps and bounds, companies are relocating here, we may be surpassing Kansas City in population in the next census.With that came an awareness that some of this stuff had to go. The Chief we now have is superb. We also have a county attorney who I think will indeed not hesitate to file charges if warranted.

What happened to this man was a disgrace.He was ejected from the bus with no responsibility being assumed by the bus company for his well being. He spent a day wandering unfamiliar streets in a strange city and then it appears he was killed because LE didn't want to do their jobs. He was in the process of being transported back to the bus station! How many times was LE going to do that before someone got him some help?

Snick, I hope you're right about your county attorney and the police chief. The murder of this young man has really bothered me. I'm still checking and waiting on charges and firings.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back