1102 users online (169 members and 933 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 146
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Miami
    Posts
    3,583

    FL - Isabella Hellman, 41, catamaran off Cay Sal, SE of the FL Keys, 14 May 2017 #2


    Coast Guard searching for 1 in catamaran incident off Cay Sal

    May 15, 2017

    Crews are looking for Delray Beach resident Isabella Hellman, missing since 8 p.m. Sunday. The International Response Coordination Center received a call from Lewis Bennett Sunday night saying his catamaran had struck an unknown object, causing it to take on water off Cay Sal, about 82 miles southeast of Marathon.

    Bennett reportedly said he was abandoning the vessel and that his wife, Hellman, was missing. Bennett was rescued around 1:30 a.m. Monday near Cay Sal and brought to Marathon.

    Coast Guard vessels and aircraft have been launched in the search for Hellman, a Realtor in Delray Beach.


    FBI, Coast Guard investigating Delray Beach woman missing at sea

    May 26, 2017

    The U.S. Coast Guard confirmed to WPTV Thursday afternoon that the agency is working with the FBI investigating the disappearance of Isabella Hellmann of Delray Beach.

    [...]

    The Coast Guard suspended its search for Isabella on May 18.


    Husband under investigation in Delray Beach woman's disappearance

    June 2, 2017

    The husband of a Delray Beach woman who vanished at sea last month is now being investigated in her disappearance, a Boca Raton police report revealed.

    [...]

    According to a Boca Raton police reportobtained by Local 10 News, Bennett called police Sunday while trying to retrieve a computer, an iPad, and engagement ring and other belongings from Hellmann's sister's home.

    [...]

    The police officer who was called to the home decided that it was best for Bennett to leave, and he did, the report said.

    An investigator with the U.S. Marshals Service told police that Lewis is under investigation in his wife's disappearance, the report said.


    Thread #1

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    26,860
    I don't understand how he had time to get his life raft, phone, and whatever else organized for his survival even though he was asleep when the boat hit an unknown object, and his wife, who was allegedly awake, didn't survive. It would make more sense if she was asleep and he was awake at the time of the incident.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    750
    Quote Originally Posted by otto View Post
    I don't understand how he had time to get his life raft, phone, and whatever else organized for his survival even though he was asleep when the boat hit an unknown object, and his wife, who was allegedly awake, didn't survive. It would make more sense if she was asleep and he was awake at the time of the incident.
    I don't think we can say for a fact that there was an impact, or that IH's disappearance happened because of the impact. But assuming that is the case, I'm envisioning the water level in the boat creeping up slowly. Asleep or not, once you're aware the boat is taking on water you could evaluate how much time you can spare based on how quickly the water level rises. And if you have time to grab a couple key items that make your rescue more likely, you're going to. JMO.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,048
    A ditch bag is assembled and put in the boat BEFORE you leave to go boating so that you don't have to waste time gathering everything when you are sinking. You need to get our of the boat as fast as you can, so that you aren't taken underwater with the boat.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    France
    Posts
    914
    Marking my spot.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,852
    I know nothing about boating on the ocean! I have copied and pasted this post from the end of thread #1 as I would like to know how is a boat guided at night if Cuba does not permit a GPS system?


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    Does Cuba have a restriction on the use of satellite phones?

    ETA: it's a communist country so it stands to reason satellite phones might be banned.

    Maybe that is why they delayed setting it up, and Isabella said it was hard to use...
    You're right... satellite phones are a big no-no in Cuba:

    The following items are listed as regulated because they need a permit from the Minisitry of* Informatics and Communications, so basically you can say they are not allowed:

    Stand alone GPS units and*satellite phones.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Into.Cuba.html

    The import of satellite phones and GPS systems is forbidden by the Cuban Customs unless you have a permit from the Cuban Ministry of Informatics and Communications.*
    The official statement of the government is that the phones are part of the secret U.S. cyberwar and are used to destabilize the country.*

    http://www.havana-guide.com/sat-phones.html


    How would the boat be guided at Night so Isabella knew the course she was suppose to be on?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,927
    How would the boat be navigated at night without GPS or satellite? Maps and compasses. Lost art.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1,738
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaTime View Post
    How would the boat be navigated at night without GPS or satellite? Maps and compasses. Lost art.
    And stars. : )

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    1,927
    Quote Originally Posted by cuffem View Post
    And stars. : )
    My SO is one of the few people left in the world who can navigate around the world using a sextant.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    10,068
    I wonder if International laws and treaties would apply to waters once out past a certain distance of the Cuba mainland.

    I tried looking it up and it gets confusing.

    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...Law_of_the_Sea

    The above link talks about the law of the seas.

    Even if they were permitted to use standalone GPS and satellite phone on the open seas it does seem like they would have needed a special permit to enter into cuba land or territory.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Into.Cuba.html


  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,819
    I still would like to know what they did and where they went between May 2nd and May 14. That's almost two weeks between the time they were in the BVI's to when they left Cuba.

    LB said he had "5 days of sailing" prior to arriving in Cuba (and I assume he did not stop at any islands along the way for safe harborage at night), but there are another 7 days that are unaccounted for.

    And, in those 7 days of un-accountability, Isabella missed her sister's graduation and spending her first Mother's Day with her daughter. Why?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    France
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by 1&2&3 View Post
    I know nothing about boating on the ocean! I have copied and pasted this post from the end of thread #1 as I would like to know how is a boat guided at night if Cuba does not permit a GPS system?


    Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    Does Cuba have a restriction on the use of satellite phones?

    ETA: it's a communist country so it stands to reason satellite phones might be banned.

    Maybe that is why they delayed setting it up, and Isabella said it was hard to use...
    You're right... satellite phones are a big no-no in Cuba:

    The following items are listed as regulated because they need a permit from the Minisitry of* Informatics and Communications, so basically you can say they are not allowed:

    Stand alone GPS units and*satellite phones.

    https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...Into.Cuba.html

    The import of satellite phones and GPS systems is forbidden by the Cuban Customs unless you have a permit from the Cuban Ministry of Informatics and Communications.*
    The official statement of the government is that the phones are part of the secret U.S. cyberwar and are used to destabilize the country.*

    http://www.havana-guide.com/sat-phones.html


    How would the boat be guided at Night so Isabella knew the course she was suppose to be on?
    SatNavs (GPS) are installed as part of the boat's navigation system. They are not "stand alone" items and so this rule would not apply here.

    Also, they are talking about bringing those items into the country, as in your luggage.
    Last edited by WebSight; 06-12-2017 at 01:22 PM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    France
    Posts
    914
    Quote Originally Posted by TeaTime View Post
    How would the boat be navigated at night without GPS or satellite? Maps and compasses. Lost art.
    If Lewis Bennett is a charter captain, as was suggested on the previous thread, it is required knowledge in order to obtain a license. Even if you are not a licensed captain, you cannot afford to be at sea without that knowledge in the event your systems go down.

    We were required to use both manual and SatNav on watch.
    Last edited by WebSight; 06-12-2017 at 01:58 PM.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    15,819
    The [Gold Coast] Bulletin, a MSM outlet out of Australia, revealed another business connection for Bennett: director of a firm called Eight Developments Proprietary Limited. The article doesn’t elaborate on the type of business.

    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/so...4zDC5sk8JuuJI/

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    3,048
    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post
    The [Gold Coast] Bulletin, a MSM outlet out of Australia, revealed another business connection for Bennett: director of a firm called Eight Developments Proprietary Limited. The article doesn’t elaborate on the type of business.

    http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/so...4zDC5sk8JuuJI/
    You can register as many businesses as you want: some may be active, some not active, all active, none active, etc.

    This new information tells us nothing at the moment. It may fit as a larger pizzle later...

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 1003
    Last Post: 06-11-2017, 02:50 PM
  2. Found Safe NE - Isabella Buckman, 13, Omaha, 17 May 2017
    By Gardener1850 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-19-2017, 08:57 AM
  3. Found Safe UK - Jodie Keys, 14, London, 26 Jan 2017
    By JerseyGirl in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-01-2017, 10:23 AM
  4. Found Safe KS - Abigail Tipton, Isabella & Sophia Franklin, 4, Overland Park, 23 Jan 2017
    By los2188 in forum Located Persons Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-29-2017, 04:43 AM

Tags for this Thread