WV WV - Hevin Jenkins, 2, Cabell County, 15 December 2005

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
2-year old Missing in Putnam County
[size=-2]Posted 12/26/2005 01:35 PM[/size]

Aunt left child unattended in car, toddler missing

West Virginia State Police are searching for a missing child in Putnam County. Reports came in around 8:45 a.m. Monday that a woman walked into the BP gas station on Teays Valley Road in Hurricane. She had apparently left her 2-year-old nephew in the car, which was still running. When the woman, who is the child's aunt, came out of the convenience store, the car and the child were gone.

A short time later, police found the empty, black Chevy Cavalier in a parking lot, two doors down from the BP. The toddler was no where to be found.

State police are not releasing names at this time. The toddler is described as a 2-year-old, white male, with brown hair, and a buzz cut. State police say the little boy is autistic and is non-verbal. He is said to be from the Logan area.

More: http://www.wowktv.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=7605

WHAT!!! They won't issue an Amber Alert??? The kid is taken with the car by an unknown person, and that's not criteria to issue an alert? What are they waiting for? :furious:

SadieMae said:
WHAT!!! They won't issue an Amber Alert??? The kid is taken with the car by an unknown person, and that's not criteria to issue an alert? What are they waiting for? :furious:
The criteria is that they have to be able to publish information on who to look for, like a specific vehicle or license plate.

Since the stolen car has been located, they have no idea of who the adults are, so you don't know who to look for.

This doesn't sound right to me.

The typical story, is that someone steals a car and drops a child off unharmed somewhere. To steal a car, leave it two doors down and then take a disabled child . . . is an extremely rare scenario, I think.

I hope they're investigating the aunt who has custody to find out if for sure this is what happened.

KatherineQ said:
Here's an update. The aunt, and her boyfriend, are being questioned on the details.

It's hard to believe this story is as they are telling it.

http://sundaygazettemail.com/section/News/2005122614

Mills said Jenkins had been in his parents’ legal custody and apparently was just spending time with his aunt.

Usually, if a car is stolen at a gas station they will find the child somewhere and the car gone. It is very unusual for the child to be gone and the car located.
Two possibilities: the aunt and her boyfriend did something and are trying to cover it up...... or a sex offender saw an unattended child and decided to take advantage of it. Thus the car wasn't the attraction, the child was.

It is certainly interesting that she left the nephew in the car and took her own child into the station with her. Not judging, as I can think of a couple of situations where that might be expedient. I wonder how old her child is.

mysteriew said:
Usually, if a car is stolen at a gas station they will find the child somewhere and the car gone. It is very unusual for the child to be gone and the car located.
Two possibilities: the aunt and her boyfriend did something and are trying to cover it up...... or a sex offender saw an unattended child and decided to take advantage of it. Thus the car wasn't the attraction, the child was.

It is certainly interesting that she left the nephew in the car and took her own child into the station with her. Not judging, as I can think of a couple of situations where that might be expedient. I wonder how old her child is.

I wondered that too, how old her child is. Hopefully the child is old enough to either corroborate or disavow the aunt's story, and the investigation can continue on whatever track is correct.

It's hard to imagine a situation where someone would grab a car, and drive a very short distance and abandon the transportation. If they wanted the child (which I've never heard of in carjacking, but okay) what would they do with the child after they drove that little bit? How would they kidnap the child - by carrying the child off? Or what?

this reminds me of a story about a father who said his car was stolen and his sick son was in it, and the car was found but the boy never was ... I will see if I can find the links. It does seem awfully fishy.

Here it is: Christian Ferguson"Christian is severely mentally challenged and may be dressed only in a diaper and wrapped in a multicolored blanket.

He is on a special diet and requires medication twice a day or he may slip into a coma.

He was in his parents car in St. Louis MO US at about 6:30 AM on Wed. June 11 when it was stolen. The vehicle has been recovered but Christian is still missing."

http://codeamber.org/ferguson/

Here's another link: http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/927434/posts

And Another: http://www.missingkids.com/missingkids/servlet/PubCaseSearchServlet?act=viewChildDetail&caseNum=964942&orgPrefix=NCMC&seqNum=1&caseLang=en_US&searchLang=en_US

I wonder if they left the little one in the car in a car seat....left the car running so that he wouldn't get cold as they were only going to be a minute because he was difficult to handle? Doesn't make sense that they would take her child into the store though if that were the case....going to be a minute.

The story sounds fishy but why would they do anything to this little one if the aunt was babysitting or spending time with him but the parents were raising him? Finding the car just a couple blocks down is really strange.

Lots of questions here. Hope the little one is found safe and sound.

http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2005122719/

Tonya Sloan and Anthony Milam, both 27 and of Salt Rock in southern Cabell County, were scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Cabell Magistrate Court.

They were charged Monday with murder as a result of failing to get medical treatment for 31-month old Hevin Dakota Jenkins.

Sloan is Hevin's aunt, and the austic boy had been staying with her for the past several weeks, police said.

The State Police were preparing to drag the Ohio River today to search for Hevin's body.

Police said they believe the boy is dead, but they would not release any details about when or how they think he died.

I pray that they find this little guy safe, although, it doesn't seem to be what they are leaning towards in their investigation and search. How horrible was the mother that they placed him with this nutcase?

Pook said:
http://www.dailymail.com/news/News/2005122719/

Tonya Sloan and Anthony Milam, both 27 and of Salt Rock in southern Cabell County, were scheduled to be arraigned this morning in Cabell Magistrate Court.

They were charged Monday with murder as a result of failing to get medical treatment for 31-month old Hevin Dakota Jenkins.

Sloan is Hevin's aunt, and the austic boy had been staying with her for the past several weeks, police said.

The State Police were preparing to drag the Ohio River today to search for Hevin's body.

Police said they believe the boy is dead, but they would not release any details about when or how they think he died.
What a tragedy! What a lying sack of s***! She deserves the DP!

As soon as I read this post I knew something was way off. I am an aunt to two wonderful autistic little boys. There is no way in the world you would leave an autistic child alone in a running car. Of course I would hope nobody would leave any child in that situation. I am sickened!!!

mjak

There is no way I would leave a 2 yearold in the car regardless of disability.

When mine were younger I always had 2 in car seats.
Even to pay for gas I would bring all 4 into the store with me.. Usually carrying the two youngest.

I am curious as to why the aunt had this child for weeks?
What was going on with the mother?

http://www.theledger.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051227/APA/512270751

The boy had a seizure or other medical emergency at Sloan's home on Dec. 15 and she and Milam allegedly did nothing to help him, according to the criminal complaint. It did not give details.

The boy's mother, Amy White, had allowed him to stay periodically with Sloan and the boy's grandparents for the last month. The grandparents last saw the child on Dec. 15, and White asked State Police to check on the boy last week. Police did not find the child but did not have enough information to file a missing persons report, Mills said.

He said there were no "family squabbles or anything like that."

This is such a sad story, all the way around. It's conceivable that the aunt, who is a single mother, simply was overwhelmed and didn't know how to care for this child and this all snowballed and she panicked.

I can feel some empathy for everyone involved in this story - the boy's mother who passed this child around, the aunt who was neglectful with a child she maybe had no idea how to care for, and especially for the little boy himself who is now gone.

No one had seen this child since Dec. 15 except the Aunt. Which means the mother didn't contact the child on Christmas, nor did the Grandmother, or anyone. It just sounds like an extremely difficult situation all around, and perhaps by an accident this happened.

How did this end up in the located forum? Christopher is still missing, even though he is presumed dead. Until the remains are found, he is still missing.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhenderson
Back