Abandoned calf finds unlikely mother -- a dog!

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Abandoned calf finds unlikely mother

A black angus calf recently abandoned by her mother has been adopted by an entirely different species: a dog.

When Vegas, a Boxer mix, set eyes on Maggie the calf, her motherly instincts took over.

Earl Best, a longtime Maryville cattle farmer says, "Dogs and cattle don't usually mix, except in this case."

Last Sunday morning, Best went out to feed his cattle and found Maggie all by herself in the middle of the field. Her mother had abandoned her after birth.

"A soon as I brought her in, that dog went crazy wanting to be with the calf," adds Best.

Best says Vegas has never had puppies before and can't because she was spayed. Instead, she's decided to adopt.

"If the calf is laying down, a lot of time (the dog will) stand right over it or she will lay down on it like she's protecting it or keeping it warm," adds Best.

Right now, both Vegas and Maggie weigh in at about 70 pounds. In no time, the calf will be up to 1,400 pounds.

"I guess everything has to have some affection. The dog gives affection," says Best.

More: http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=30951

Maggie the calf and Vegas the doggie :)

051225162556_December25_2005_122505_cow1.jpg

Vegas the dog and Maggie the Calf :blowkiss:

051225162641_December25_2005_122505_cow3.jpg

http://www.wbir.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=30951

That is so sweet. And should be a lesson to society. If dogs and calves can do it, why can't people of all countries, races, and religions.

mysteriew said:
That is so sweet. And should be a lesson to society. If dogs and calves can do it, why can't people of all countries, races, and religions.

Very well said mysteriew!
I just love stories like this. Does anyone remember the story of the old sea turtle who "adopted" an orphaned hippo baby after the tsunami last year?
They washed up close together and the turtle stuck by the baby hippo and gave the scared little guy comfort in his time of need.

How sweet this is... I love animals.. they are SMART... :p

mysteriew said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: This is a great post mysteriew!

This is such a sweet story!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Curious.tea
Back