1238 users online (214 members and 1024 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 53
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    90

    Was Darrin Deaf That Night??

    Hello to you all and a Merry Christmas!
    I am a first time poster on here so please have patience, be gentle and welcome me!!
    I can see that I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as the rest of you on this case, I only know what I have read in books, websites, and mostly on this forum, I have never seen anything aired on TV here in the UK on this........... so hope you will still welcome me with little knowledge on this??
    I find it almost impossible to believe that these murders were committed to these 2 little boys and Darlies attack, whilst Darrin was sleeping.
    They didn't live in a 15 bedroom mansion, it's not like he was sleeping on the West wing and she was sleeping in the lounge in the East wing, he was only upstairs............ or was he??? I do not believe that Darrin didn't hear anything untoward that night, those poor babies must have cried for help and cried in pain.
    You would have to be some deep sleeper not to have heard anything, and if he was such a deep sleeper, what use would he be looking after baby Drake that night if he wasn't even going to be able to wake up if Drake cried in his cot in the night. So in effect, if Darrin didn't hear anything because he slept so soundly, maybe the so called 'intruder' could have even entered the bedroom and he still wouldn't have woken up...... I don't think so!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    28

    Was Darrin Deaf?

    Welcome to the Boards. Merry Christmas to you as well. You have posed a great question. The ones here on the boards who have far more knowledge about this than I do, will I am sure answer your question to much greater clarity than I ever could. I am posting to state that I, too, have wondered the same thing about Darin. I don't claim to have any inside info on his sleeping patterns, whether he was taking medication like benadryl or sleeping capsules, whether he woke up several times during the nights, or whatever, but my opinion is that he was a heavy sleeper and that Darlie was the one who got up with Drake at night. I believe that (IF Darin was in bed asleep) that he awoke and came downstairs before the bruhaha was over and landed in the middle of it. On the 911 tape, a poster here or on another board, pointed out that in the background Darin can be heard saying "give me the knife", so I think he is guilty of cutting the screen with the bread knife or of taking the butcher knife and finishing off the job to Damon. He could have taken the sock down the alley. BTW: I have listened to the 911 call hundreds of times and have never actually heard the "knife" part. I have heard, or thought I heard, the "give me" part supposedly said by Darin. IMO, if Darin has any culpability, it's limited and certainly not to the extent that Darlie is culpable. JMO

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652

    Exclamation Welcome, Tracey Duffield!

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Duffield
    Hello to you all and a Merry Christmas! I am a first time poster on here so please have patience, be gentle and welcome me!!
    Merry Christmas and welcome aboard, Miss Tracey. Glad to have you here.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Duffield
    I can see that I am nowhere near as knowledgeable as the rest of you on this case, I only know what I have read in books, websites, and mostly on this forum, I have never seen anything aired on TV here in the UK on this........... so hope you will still welcome me with little knowledge on this??
    The best website is justicefordarlie.net. They have the transcripts and a lot of documentation they don't have at Darlie's site, esp things like state exhibits, etc.


    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Duffield
    I find it almost impossible to believe that these murders were committed to these 2 little boys and Darlies attack, whilst Darrin was sleeping.
    They didn't live in a 15 bedroom mansion, it's not like he was sleeping on the West wing and she was sleeping in the lounge in the East wing, he was only upstairs............ or was he??? I do not believe that Darrin didn't hear anything untoward that night, those poor babies must have cried for help and cried in pain.
    They tested the sound in the house and discovered that cries for help could not be heard if the master bedroom door was closed. As I understand it, there was a set of doors at the top of the stairs that would have further blocked noise.

    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Duffield
    You would have to be some deep sleeper not to have heard anything, and if he was such a deep sleeper, what use would he be looking after baby Drake that night if he wasn't even going to be able to wake up if Drake cried in his cot in the night. So in effect, if Darrin didn't hear anything because he slept so soundly, maybe the so called 'intruder' could have even entered the bedroom and he still wouldn't have woken up...... I don't think so!!
    I have a hard time believing Darin was in a sound sleep at that time, too. He would have only been in bed about an hour before the crime took place, which is his story as I recall. I am not sure a person can go into a deep, deep sleep that fast.

    However, he was a man and men don't pay a lot of attention to a lot of things. For some, a bomb could go off and they'd just think that the wife would take care of it whatever it was and roll over. So I don't know. But if they tested it and screams could not be heard from the family room to the master bedroom, that raises another question. How could he then claim to have heard the breaking glass?

    He says the breaking glass is the first thing he remembers hearing. I have never believed he could hear that upstairs but the sound of it seems to have left such an impression on him that I have felt that he was downstairs when the glass broke. That pretty much eliminates an intruder.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    I am not sure a person can go into a deep, deep sleep that fast.
    Interestingly I've heard your deepest period of sleep (REM) is in your first half an hour of sleep.

    Don't forget they did the glass test and they discovered that Darin could not have heard the glass breaking from his bedroom. That has two implications
    1) he lied when he said it is what woke him
    2) if he couldn't hear the glass break it is doubtful he would have heard much of what went on down there

    I don't think the boys would have made much noise to be honest, and she could have muffled their voices anyway.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    90
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    Merry Christmas and welcome aboard, Miss Tracey. Glad to have you here.



    The best website is justicefordarlie.net. They have the transcripts and a lot of documentation they don't have at Darlie's site, esp things like state exhibits, etc.




    They tested the sound in the house and discovered that cries for help could not be heard if the master bedroom door was closed. As I understand it, there was a set of doors at the top of the stairs that would have further blocked noise.


    I have a hard time believing Darin was in a sound sleep at that time, too. He would have only been in bed about an hour before the crime took place, which is his story as I recall. I am not sure a person can go into a deep, deep sleep that fast.

    However, he was a man and men don't pay a lot of attention to a lot of things. For some, a bomb could go off and they'd just think that the wife would take care of it whatever it was and roll over. So I don't know. But if they tested it and screams could not be heard from the family room to the master bedroom, that raises another question. How could he then claim to have heard the breaking glass?

    He says the breaking glass is the first thing he remembers hearing. I have never believed he could hear that upstairs but the sound of it seems to have left such an impression on him that I have felt that he was downstairs when the glass broke. That pretty much eliminates an intruder.
    I understand what you're saying, my husband can be snoring before the lights are even out (not a lovely sound and grounds for divorce I reckon)!!! That was a joke by the way!! I wasn't aware there had been sound tests carried out, therefore as you say, how did he hear the breaking glass, was the glass dropped on the carpet or a hard floor? I thought I read that Darrin said the first thing he knew anything when was when Darlie was screaming for him to come down?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracey Duffield
    I understand what you're saying, my husband can be snoring before the lights are even out (not a lovely sound and grounds for divorce I reckon)!!! That was a joke by the way!! I wasn't aware there had been sound tests carried out, therefore as you say, how did he hear the breaking glass, was the glass dropped on the carpet or a hard floor? I thought I read that Darrin said the first thing he knew anything when was when Darlie was screaming for him to come down?
    He said the first thing he heard was the breaking of glass, then a few minutes later (or seconds)....Darlie screaming, Devon, Devon, Devon!

    I think if he heard the glass break, he had to be downstairs when the glass fell (it fell on the vinyl floor of the kitchen). If he was downstairs when the glass fell, he had to be downstairs when the crime or part of it was committed. That means he either interrupted the crime or was downstairs all along, a part of the planning of it.

    Bottom line, he could not have heard the glass break from upstairs and that means he is lying about it. Why would he lie about it? Because he wants to place himself upstairs when the crime occurs so that he won't have to answer hard questions that might trip him up. Same reason Darlie had to position herself in a sleep or amnesiac state....so that they couldn't ask her hard questions that might trip her up along the way. I find it very interesting that they BOTH have the same basic alibi...I was sleeping when the crime took place so I can't tell you anything about how it happened. That hardly seems accidental to me. Coincidences in murder cases sometimes do occur but more often than not, they are created by the perps. I don't see any reason to believe this one is any different.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,908
    my son got sick and threw up the other night and my hubby was sleeping in the living room since my son was in our bed with me, well he started screaming while he was throwing up and let me tell you its a good distance from the living room to bedroom and the door was shut and hubby had a fan on and i never seen him run so fast in my life and he is a sound sleeper, there is something about your child crying out that i am sorry any parent can hear...

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    my son got sick and threw up the other night and my hubby was sleeping in the living room since my son was in our bed with me, well he started screaming while he was throwing up and let me tell you its a good distance from the living room to bedroom and the door was shut and hubby had a fan on and i never seen him run so fast in my life and he is a sound sleeper, there is something about your child crying out that i am sorry any parent can hear...
    I agree. I don't personally believe Darin was even upstairs when this happened. I think he was downstairs when the glass broke and he was so amazed at how loud it sounded in the silent house that he THOUGHT he would be able to hear it upstairs and that is why he has it in his story. Then the tests come along and prove him wrong, so what does he do? Holds onto the story. He can't change it at that point, so maintains he heard the glass break and then Darlie's screams. But even that does not match her story.

    She claims the glass broke when she was still on the couch. She gets up then and follows the intruder through the kitchen, stops at the kitchen entry to tell Damon to lay down, and goes across the kitchen and stops near the uility room door, goes back across the kitchen and turns on the light, then goes back to thru the kitchen, picks up the knife and carries it to the counter where she puts it down, then sees her own wounds in a mirror, and then turns to see Devon across the family room which is still dark, and runs to the stairway to call for Darin.

    Darin describes a very brief period between the glass breaking and Darlie's screams. Darlie fits an awful lot of stuff into that period. So maybe Darin's timing is off? Could be but still his statements are suspicious to me.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,908
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    I agree. I don't personally believe Darin was even upstairs when this happened. I think he was downstairs when the glass broke and he was so amazed at how loud it sounded in the silent house that he THOUGHT he would be able to hear it upstairs and that is why he has it in his story. Then the tests come along and prove him wrong, so what does he do? Holds onto the story. He can't change it at that point, so maintains he heard the glass break and then Darlie's screams. But even that does not match her story.

    She claims the glass broke when she was still on the couch. She gets up then and follows the intruder through the kitchen, stops at the kitchen entry to tell Damon to lay down, and goes across the kitchen and stops near the uility room door, goes back across the kitchen and turns on the light, then goes back to thru the kitchen, picks up the knife and carries it to the counter where she puts it down, then sees her own wounds in a mirror, and then turns to see Devon across the family room which is still dark, and runs to the stairway to call for Darin.

    Darin describes a very brief period between the glass breaking and Darlie's screams. Darlie fits an awful lot of stuff into that period. So maybe Darin's timing is off? Could be but still his statements are suspicious to me.
    i used to think she was innocent and since i have been lurking here i have changed back and forth, but one thing i think is if darlie did it i think darin helped....Just my opinion....i dont think she did it by herself..

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    3,652
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    i used to think she was innocent and since i have been lurking here i have changed back and forth, but one thing i think is if darlie did it i think darin helped....Just my opinion....i dont think she did it by herself..
    I don't either. I don't know if it was something he could have stopped or not, but I do believe he is much more involved than he claims. I think that is why he is so loyal to Darlie, why he hasn't tried to move on with his life....fear that if he does, she will tell what his part actually was.

    "The difference between fiction and reality? Fiction has to make sense." - Tom Clancy
    __________________
    This is the humble opinion of Goody Trugritt.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    [color=darkolivegreen][b]I agree. I don't personally believe Darin was even upstairs when this happened. I think he was downstairs when the glass broke and he was so amazed at how loud it sounded in the silent house that he THOUGHT he would be able to hear it upstairs and that is why he has it in his story.
    Or Darlie told him the glass broke as the intruder went out (and we've been through the probability of a glass coming off that wine rack from a jostle dozens of times and it is IMHO unrealistic anyway) and Darin, wanting to help Darlie and support her story (thinking she is innocent) factored it into his. Or else maybe something did really wake him up out of a dead sleep that night and he later put two and two together and thought it must have been the breaking glass.

    Darin describes a very brief period between the glass breaking and Darlie's screams. Darlie fits an awful lot of stuff into that period. So maybe Darin's timing is off? Could be but still his statements are suspicious to me.
    \

    Despite all Darlie says happened I don't think it would have taken too long... 30 seconds maybe? She doesn't follow the intruder out or anything. She just stops at the entry to the U-room picks up the knife and then walks back to the living room area.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    407
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    I don't either. I don't know if it was something he could have stopped or not, but I do believe he is much more involved than he claims. I think that is why he is so loyal to Darlie, why he hasn't tried to move on with his life....fear that if he does, she will tell what his part actually was.
    I'm not sure I interpret his behaviour in recent years as loyalty to Darlie as such. He's been very quiet (after being quote vocal at the beginning) and we don't really know how he has (if he has) moved on anyway.

    In any case. even if he hasn't moved on I don't think it is necessarily out of loyalty to Darlie. He could be absolutely paralysed with guilt. His two boys are dead and the world claims his wide did it. If he believes she is guilty then I imagine he would be eating himself up inside thinking he could have saved his boys lives. And if he does believe she is guilty then he has no reason to be speaking up at the moment- she's behind bars on death row. When it WILL become interesting is if any of the appeals make some headway (particularly the finger which is starting to be pointed in his direction)

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    11,210
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    i used to think she was innocent and since i have been lurking here i have changed back and forth, but one thing i think is if darlie did it i think darin helped....Just my opinion....i dont think she did it by herself..
    I don't either Michelle.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    26,902
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    I don't either. I don't know if it was something he could have stopped or not, but I do believe he is much more involved than he claims. I think that is why he is so loyal to Darlie, why he hasn't tried to move on with his life....fear that if he does, she will tell what his part actually was.

    Goody! Its because he LOOOOOVVVVVVEEEESSSSS her.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    7,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Goody
    I don't either. I don't know if it was something he could have stopped or not, but I do believe he is much more involved than he claims. I think that is why he is so loyal to Darlie, why he hasn't tried to move on with his life....fear that if he does, she will tell what his part actually was.
    I think he helped her cover it up, but I just cannot believe if he actually had a part in the killing...SHE would sit there on death row and not spill her guts out--there is no way she would take the entire rap byherself- ,if she wasnt the sole killer- as a matter of fact, I am amazed she didnt sya he had a part in it , even if he didnt..just to get back at him-

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast


Similar Threads

  1. CA CA - Darrin Bunker, 41, Dana Point, 3 Oct 2007
    By hoppyfrog in forum 2000's Missing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-12-2010, 02:59 PM
  2. Darrin's admission of a fight
    By Desilu in forum Darlie Routier
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-01-2008, 07:36 PM
  3. Are Darlie and Darrin Still Married?
    By JuJuBee in forum Darlie Routier
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 12-13-2007, 09:35 AM

Tags for this Thread