1213 users online (254 members and 959 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42
    A total of 45 victims of the Grenfell Tower tragedy have now been identified.

The inquests of three further victims were opened at Westminster Coroner’s Court on Monday.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/1...ow_identified/

IMG_0105.jpg
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold.

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    If decisions were made collectively by the board can't all of them be charged?
    They can - IF there is good evidence that the board as a whole acted in a way that meets the criteria for corporate manslaughter.

We need to remember that as far as anyone knows at this stage the materials used in the refurbishment met all mandated safety requirements and that what happened may have happened not because of any single factor but because of a perfect storm of factors which individually wouldn't have been a problem.

Boards rely on professional and technical advisers for areas outside of their reasonable knowledge and expertise. If, for example, the board had been assured by, say, an architect or chartered surveyor that the planned refurbishment was well designed and specced and met all required standards, and they relied on that advice, then it's going to be difficult to establish that they acted with gross negligence.

In saying this, I realise there is the issue that the cladding panels appear to have been used higher up the building than they should have been, but this is a technical issue that very few directors, even high powered professional directors in listed companies, would have been able to recognise and query.

The DPP doesn't rule out individual charges with potential long prison terms, but the decision won't be taken for months:
    "All of us want to see justice done, but we need to make sure that we do it in accordance with the law,” she said.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...c-prosecutions.

"The survivors of the Grenfell Tower disaster may have to wait a year to find new homes, with around 200 believed to still be holed up in hotels.

Theresa May promised to find new accommodation within three weeks of the tragedy in June, but it has now been almost nine and the Government is drastically delaying its deadline.

The Secretary of State for Communities and Local Government, Sajid Javid, has written to residents pledging they will find them permanent homes 'as quickly as possible, and within 12 months'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4pdvU6k25
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

The dead cannot cry out for justice. It is a duty of the living to do so for them. Lois McMaster Bujold.

Enquiry terms of reference published: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-40935955

The actions of Kensington and Chelsea Council are to be considered in the Grenfell Tower fire inquiry, the government has announced.

The inquiry will also look at the adequacy of regulations, the tower's recent refurbishment, and the response of authorities in the aftermath.

Broader questions on social housing will not be included
    The full terms of reference for the public inquiry, which have been accepted in full by the prime minister, are:

The cause and spread of the fire
    The design, construction and refurbishment of Grenfell Tower
    The scope and adequacy of the relevant regulations relating to high-rise buildings
    Whether the relevant legislation and guidance were complied with in the case of Grenfell Tower
    The actions of the local authority and other bodies before the tragedy
    The response of the London Fire Brigade to the fire and the response of central and local government in the aftermath

The enquiry has started, opening with a minute's silence.

Sir Martin Moore-Bick said he would not shrink away from making recommendations that could lead to prosecutions.
    The inquiry cannot undo any of that, but it can and will provide answers to how a disaster of this kind could happen in 21st Century London.
    Sir Martin said the inquiry would be split into two phases - with the first examining how the blaze developed and the second looking at how the building became so exposed to the risk of a major fire.

He said there was an "urgent need" to conduct phase one to find out what parts of the tower's design and construction played a role in allowing the disaster to happen.

"That's important because if there are similar defects in other high-rise buildings, steps must be taken quickly to ensure those who live in them are kept safe."
    Sir Martin told the hearing he recognised the "great sense of anger and betrayal" felt by those affected by the blaze and would examine evidence "calmly and rationally".

But he rejected calls from survivors to appoint a person from the Grenfell community to the inquiry panel, saying it would "risk undermining impartiality".
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-41262914

Some of the people attending really need to be reminded that they're at an inquiry not a panto.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know that the focus right now is on the inquest into the fire itself and possible wrongdoing from the council and manufacturers but reading this today just stabbed me in my heart:

The remains of all children on the Grenfell Tower missing list have been formally identified 14 weeks after the deadly fire.
    “It was a huge milestone today to be able to identify all of the children off this [the police] list and although it has taken a long time, 15 weeks, I am satisfied that all of those identities are secure and reliable and I wish to thank all of those who have worked so hard to achieve that and I particularly give thanks to all of those very many people who have been waiting,” Wilcox said in court on Wednesday.

She was speaking at the opening of the inquests into the death of eight-year-old Mehdi El-Wahabi and Rania Ibrahim, 31. As with all previous inquests, Wilcox immediately suspended proceedings to allow the police investigation and public inquiry to progress.
    The remains of Rania Ibrahim, 31, were recovered from the 23rd floor, where she lived. Her daughters, Fathia, 5, and Hania, 3, are presumed dead. Her husband Hassan was in Egypt at the time of the fire.

Rania filmed harrowing footage from inside her flat on the night of the fire, which she streamed on Facebook Live. In Arabic and English, she spoke of being unable to get out of the block and recited the shahada, the Muslim prayer often said in moments of acute distress or danger.

Coroner’s officer Eric Sword said the provisional cause of her death was “consistent with the effects of fire”.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...lly-identified

I remember watching the video that Rania sent her friend as the fire raged on and news reports were still coming in and hoping that she managed to get herself and her children to safety. For me, seeing the video somehow made the fire real and personal. It's hard to explain, I guess it became a story about real people and not just another news broadcast.

I guess the only good news is that the expected death toll may be lower than previously thought - because of fraud:

It emerged that the force is investigating eight fraud cases where people have tried to financially benefit from the fire - two people have been charged, one has been bailed, while the other allegations are still being looked into.

There have also been four allegations of theft from the lower levels while the building was under 24-hour security - one involving a "considerable" sum of money.
    The police have seized 31 million documents and identified 336 companies of interest.
    Investigators have so far taken more than 1,000 statements, and identified 2,400 different people they want to speak to.
    http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-41318828

Very good article here on the residents of one floor: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/...ell_21st_floor

Interview with one of the technical experts with an explanation for why the fire spread so quickly and other similar setups also failed:

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/ne...?ref=mrb&lp=12

“Seventy people and a stillborn baby make up the final death toll in the Grenfell Tower fire, police have confirmed.

The last two bodies were recovered from the burnt-out building and were confirmed by the coroner on Tuesday.

The Met Police now believe all of those who perished in the fire have been recovered and the search operation is expected to finish before Christmas.
    A baby, Logan Gomes, who was stillborn, has been recorded as a victim of the fire.”

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4yaR4O5wv

May they Rest In Peace.

I hope all necessary action is taken to prevent this tragedy happening again.

Lily Allen was way off the mark. Is she going to retract the hysterical figures she came out with now?!

Quote Originally Posted by Ironside View Post
    Lily Allen was way off the mark. Is she going to retract the hysterical figures she came out with now?!
    Lily was just one of a considerable number of individuals on the hard left who cynically sought to make political capital out of the situation.

None of them will ever admit they were wrong on the numbers front.

For those unaware of the significant problem of domestic fires caused by faulty white goods, there's an article in the Mail today.

Is our hunger for cheap white goods turning our homes into death traps? They cause ten fires a day - some lethal. Action is needed, and urgently

Given that we can land a probe on a distant comet or control a stealth drone from thousands of miles away, manufacturing a tumble dryer, washing machine or fridge-freezer that isn’t prone to bursting into flames is surely a simple task of good engineering?

Not so. Even before the Grenfell blaze in June that claimed 71 lives and is thought to have been started by a fridge freezer, the white goods industry had a serious problem on its hands, posing lethal risks to consumers.

MPs recently heard that up to a million faulty tumble dryers of a type that have been linked to large fires causing fatalities may still be in British homes, according to the U.S. manufacturer Whirlpool while giving evidence to the business committee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ATH-TRAPS.html

A relative is blaming the helicopters for allegedly fanning the flames and giving false hope.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.dai...mes-worse.html

Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 32 40 41 42