1212 users online (154 members and 1058 guests)  

Websleuths News

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."

Trump calls health care bill "mean"

Trump, in Zigzag, Calls House Republicans’ Health Bill ‘Mean’

By THOMAS KAPLAN, JENNIFER STEINHAUER and ROBERT PEARJUNE 13, 2017

WASHINGTON — President Trump on Tuesday bluntly derided a House attempt to repeal the Affordable Care Act as “mean,” and in doing so, injected himself in a brewing Senate battle that his fellow Republicans had prayed he would avoid.

At a White House lunch with more than a dozen Republican senators, Mr. Trump alerted his guests that a bill passed by the House this spring — one he lauded last month in the Rose Garden as a “great plan” that was “very, very incredibly well-crafted” — was now “mean.”

He also informed the lawmakers, who represented politically diverse views from across the Republican spectrum, that he expected the Senate to come up with something more generous, according to four congressional aides who were briefed on the discussion and spoke on the condition of anonymity...

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/13/u...mean.html?_r=0

Time to work together on both sides of the aisle to provide all Americans with affordable health care.

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Washington (CNN) President Donald Trump told Republican senators lunching at the White House Tuesday the House-passed health care reform bill he celebrated earlier this year was "mean," a source told CNN.

Trump made clear multiple times that he was pleased that the Senate negotiations appeared to be moving away from where the House version of the repeal and replace effort ended up, according to three sources familiar with the meeting.

Trump told the lawmakers that the House bill didn't go far enough in protecting individuals in the marketplace -- and appeared to use that as his rationale for why he has ambiguously called twice for the Senate to "add more money" to the bill...

Link is going directly to video. If someone can post it, please share.
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 06-14-2017 at 11:07 AM.

First of all, as someone who took a lot of journalism classes (it was my minor) and was reminded a bazillion times "No partial quotes!" it drives me crazy to see so many in an article. It's not just those posted in the links here either. So far I'll I have found is "He called it 'mean.'" I want context! I want to know the whole damn sentence!

Second of all, didn't he just say it was a great bill, and they were all working hard to get it passed? (Even though the Democrats won't let them, obviously)

Third of all, what is he trying to do? What's the con, Don?
    Silence means security, silence means approval.

^ Appealing to his base. Trump promised he wouldn't get rid of Medicare, Medicaid, and assured his ardent supporters they would have accessible, affordable health care.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    First of all, as someone who took a lot of journalism classes (it was my minor) and was reminded a bazillion times "No partial quotes!" it drives me crazy to see so many in an article. It's not just those posted in the links here either. So far I'll I have found is "He called it 'mean.'" I want context! I want to know the whole damn sentence!

Second of all, didn't he just say it was a great bill, and they were all working hard to get it passed? (Even though the Democrats won't let them, obviously)

Third of all, what is he trying to do? What's the con, Don?
    Just a few days ago, we learned that the health bill was moving along nicely and could possibly be signed before the July 4 recess. With his usual superlatives, Trump said that he believe everyone would be "very, very pleased".

Fast forward a few days. Committee members enjoying lunch with the President are told that, in its current form, the bill is "mean" and needs to be more "generous", even it means spending more. I have to wonder how many seated around the table were thinking, "WTF?" I certainly would be.

Jun 15 2017, 5:05 am ET

The Senate’s Health Care Bill Remains Shrouded in Secrecy

by Benjy Sarlin and Leigh Ann Caldwell

WASHINGTON — The Senate is closing in on a health care bill that could affect coverage for tens of millions of Americans and overhaul an industry that makes up one-sixth of the economy.
    Only one problem: Almost no one knows what’s in it.

In a striking break from how Congress normally crafts legislation, including Obamacare, the Senate is conducting its negotiations behind closed doors. The process began five weeks ago, after the House passed its version of health care reform, with a small working group of 13 senators that included no women.

The opaque process makes it impossible to evaluate whether there are any significant changes coming to health care. There are no hearings with health experts, industry leaders, and patient advocacy groups to weigh in where the public can watch their testimony or where Democrats can offer amendments...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...ecrecy-n772456

Jun 16 2017 5:57 am ET

Health Care: Democrats Can’t Hit What They Can’t See

by Benjy Sarlin

WASHINGTON — If all goes according to plan, Republicans in Congress will send sweeping healthcare legislation that could affect coverage, cost and treatment for tens of millions of Americans to President Donald Trump’s desk before August. The House has already passed a bill and the Senate hopes to hold a vote on its own version as early as this month.

It’s the home stretch for arguably the most important legislation in Congress since the Affordable Care Act.

“This is not a drill, this is a red alert,” Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-NY) said in a floor speech this week. “In a very short time, maybe only two weeks, the Republican majority may try to jam through a health care bill that no one in America has seen.”

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/cong...inity_20170616