Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bruised, lifeless 6 yr old boy found dead Xmas night; Mom & boyfriend arrested

Hybrid View

Unhappy Bruised, lifeless 6 yr old boy found dead Xmas night; Mom & boyfriend arrested

Two arrested in death of boy

When authorities answered a call Sunday evening about a little boy being unresponsive, they found no sign of holiday joy or cheer inside the drab, run-down duplex.

No Christmas tree. No presents. Only the bruised, lifeless body of 6-year-old Ryan Smith on a bedroom floor.

An autopsy on Monday disclosed that Ryan had been beaten, probably with hands and fists.

"The autopsy showed, from the bruises on his body, that there had been a long period of abuse," said St. Clair County Coroner Rick Stone. "There were old injuries and obviously new injuries.

"That boy had been beaten like a dog."

...Cahokia Police Capt. Norman Venable said he did not know if both adults took part in the beating or why the boy was beaten. "I know what they're (the suspects) saying, but I don't believe them.

"I know that the beating was terrible."

More: http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...D?OpenDocument

PrayersForMaura editorial remark: I think I am going to be sick
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PrayersForMaura For This Useful Post:

byo

From the link
    Venable said Ryan had not been attending school or registered in any school. The identity or whereabouts of Ryan's father is unknown, he said.

The gray frame duplex, just down the road from St. Louis Downtown Airport and Parks College, sits across from a cornfield and railroad tracks. Three small American flags decorate the front porch amid empty trash cans, large paint buckets, a couple of garbage bags full of soda cans, an old dentist's chair and a rusty barbecue grill. Discarded furniture and appliances litter the backyard.
    Can we think of a way to sneak someone into the jail? I will supply a big bag of oranges for them to take with them!
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

4. The Following User Says Thank You to mysteriew For This Useful Post:

OMG! That poor boy. The "unharmed" 20 month old brother? Guess Ryan caught all the anger and frustration. Both adults unemployed. God Bless that poor boy. Thank God the younger one is out of their hands. Want to bet that drugs and alcohol are involved? Doesn't matter, there is no reason for this.

I am suprised that emergency services was even called.

This poor little boy. My heart just breaks for him, thinking of all the pain he went through, and at the hands of the ones who were supposed to love and protect him.

SCUM!! I HOPE THAT THEY BURN IN HELL.

Let's get the matches ready!

Quote Originally Posted by nanandjim
    "People" like this should not be allowed to breath the air on this planet! They are so cold and inhuman. Why do these things happen?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Jovin For This Useful Post:

Yes, they are scum!!!!! I would like to beat them like they beat this poor baby. My blood is boiling.

God Bless little Ryan's soul.

My sentiments exactly.
    I bet the younger child was his and that is why the older boy was beaten.
    I wish everytime an adult hit a child they felt the pain themselves.
    This is just horrendous. It makes me sick to my stomache.
    I felt bad every time I ever punished my kids, even if it was just not letting them have tv. This guy is scum.
    And I want to know how the little boys neighbors and teachers did not know anything was going on!

Quote Originally Posted by PrayersForMaura
    Two arrested in death of boy

PrayersForMaura editorial remark: I think I am going to be sick
    This just completely breaks my heart. I can't even begin to understand what this poor child went through...and to not even know Christmas. God Bless his soul.

This story just truly affected me...poor angel.

WHERE IS CAYLEE???

13. The Following User Says Thank You to texasgirl For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by texasgirl
    This just completely breaks my heart. I can't even begin to understand what this poor child went through...and to not even know Christmas. God Bless his soul.

This story just truly affected me...poor angel.
    I feel your post. It truly affected me too. I read in one story that there was no Christmas tree, no presents.... nothing. This poor boy had nothing for Chistmas but pure hell and probably fear. His present was no food, no love, no tree, nothing but getting the ***** beat out of him until his last breath.

It's unfortunate that at 6 years old, he is in a better place now than he's ever been.
    And knowing this while only imagining what the poor boy has been through these past six months living with this evil, poor excuse for a man just makes me weep for him while wanting to get my hands around that creep's throat.

What a poor excuse for a man, to pick on a 6 year old child!
    He can't even be a real man and fight someone his own size. No, he can't hold down a job, can't be a man, can't earn a living, can't even compare to the 6 year old who was a better person than he was. So he had to take all his self-pity out on a defenseless little boy who couldn't fight back.

Well, in prison, the big boys will find this little wimp and teach him a lesson.
    I'm mad now, can't help it. This really pi**es me off.

Sorry, didn't mean to go off on a tangent... grrrr.
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

SewingDeb is offline "Sorry, I'm not qualified to land the plane."
    Totally understandable, PrayerForMaura. That child deserved so much more in his life than hunger, pain and misery and a sorry excuse for a mother who wouldn't protect him.

There is more to this story. It has to do with core feelings. And if you are vulnerable to abuse.These children were subjected to the worst abuse, they were objectifyed and died because of this. We all know abusive people.We just need to step up to the plate. Don't be shy now.

May the Lord bless him
    May the Lord shine his eyes upon him
    and may Lord keep this poor child enfolded in his Love.
    From all of us at Websleuths who care
    Dr Dona

I keep thinking about him too. And how most kids can't WAIT to get home from school, can't WAIT for Christmas, they mope if they don't get a "snow day" when it's cold, they race to open their Christmas stockings for the special meaningful little trinkets. Kids who are raised with love and care.

I keep thinking about this boy lying on his bedroom floor beaten to death. The silver lining is, maybe there are some people in their community who will look a little closer at kids who might be being abused at home, and there will be some kids who will benefit from that extra watchfulness.

Prayers for that child. What a horrible, horrible way to die.

Mother, boyfriend charged in death

A Cahokia woman who was charged Tuesday with beating her 6-year-old son to death over Christmas had herself fled from an abusive relationship with a former boyfriend, according to a former neighbor.

The woman, Starr Lohman, 24, and her current boyfriend, Lee D. Crutchfield, 33, were charged with three counts each of first-degree murder on Tuesday. The multiple counts of murder were issued to cover differing theories on how a crime occurred.

Authorities said that the couple had severely beaten Lohman's son, Ryan Smith, over a period of months, culminating in a final, fatal beating that began Saturday night.

After the arraignment, Crutchfield insisted to reporters that he was innocent.

"I didn't do it, please believe me," he said. "I never meant to harm him. This is outrageous, three counts of first-degree murder."
    http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...C?OpenDocument
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    A Cahokia woman who was charged Tuesday with beating her 6-year-old son to death over Christmas had herself fled from an abusive relationship with a former boyfriend, according to a former neighbor.

The woman, Starr Lohman, 24, and her current boyfriend, Lee D. Crutchfield, 33, were charged with three counts each of first-degree murder on Tuesday. The multiple counts of murder were issued to cover differing theories on how a crime occurred.

Authorities said that the couple had severely beaten Lohman's son, Ryan Smith, over a period of months, culminating in a final, fatal beating that began Saturday night.

"I didn't do it, please believe me," he said. "I never meant to harm him. This is outrageous, three counts of first-degree murder."
    "I didn't do it... I never meant to harm him."
    Which is it?

He's trying to cover his ass now.
    He cares about no one but himself.
    Sounds as if he was dressed ok for court, yet the poor boy was extremely malnourished, not even enrolled in school and had no Christmas presents?
    THAT is what's outrageous, Mr. Crutchfield!

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew

His last sentence just kills me...."This is outrageous, three counts of first-degree murder." Hellllllooooooo.....what's outrageous, you azzhole, is that you killed a poor, innocent little boy who had probably never known any love his whole life. I hope these people rot in h*ll for what they have done!

Quote Originally Posted by KatherineQ
    I keep thinking about him too. And how most kids can't WAIT to get home from school, can't WAIT for Christmas, they mope if they don't get a "snow day" when it's cold, they race to open their Christmas stockings for the special meaningful little trinkets. Kids who are raised with love and care.

I keep thinking about this boy lying on his bedroom floor beaten to death. The silver lining is, maybe there are some people in their community who will look a little closer at kids who might be being abused at home, and there will be some kids who will benefit from that extra watchfulness.

Prayers for that child. What a horrible, horrible way to die.
    I think we should all take a look around even our own families, and those we come in contact with on a daily basis. Teachers and child care givers please take notice of children that DO NOT want to go home! There is a reason!

I SOOO agree with, "It takes a village to raise a child". We, citizens, need to be more observant and speak up, even if it means our embarrassment. We need to err on the side of the child. This is so heartwrenching.

I'm not crazy, my reality is just different than yours.

I have been researching a lot of these cases lately and so far I have been able to keep myself a little bit emotionally disconnected in order to keep going. But, not this time. This story just destroyed me. That this precious baby didn't get to have any Christmas is more than I can bear. My daughter is now 22 and I still agonize over each and every gift to make sure they are perfect and wonderful for her. She laughs at me because I get so excited with buying gifts for her. I just can't stand this.....

Going to go look for sentences.

25. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post:

This is really irritating me. These 2 people appear to have fallen off the face of the earth. I can't find anything on either one of them. I have to be missing something.

Okay. It helps when one looks in the right state. Oops. Anyway, the records are pretty tight there, but they are both still in the St. Clair County Jail. This indicates to me that they are still probably pre-trial for whatever reason.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Belinda View Post
    Okay. It helps when one looks in the right state. Oops. Anyway, the records are pretty tight there, but they are both still in the St. Clair County Jail. This indicates to me that they are still probably pre-trial for whatever reason.
    Amazing after five years they might not have even had to face a judge/jury yet to answer for their alleged crimes. I appreciate our system of justice but.. sometimes it's too long before people are held accountable to the fullest extent.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Disguiseduser0308 For This Useful Post:

Undoubtedly there have been hundreds of motions all about how they aren't responsible for their actions for any number of reasons. I'm out for blood on this one. I came away from this case feeling damaged inside. All of these animals have to be stopped. I can't really type what I'm thinking as I don't want to get in trouble. I will continue to follow this case until there is a resolution....and it better be justice for this little boy.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post:

Update: These <modsnip> are STILL pre-trial. Starr Lohman is still being held in the St. Clair County Jail, but it appears that Lee Crutchfield is not. He has a status hearing on 07/19/2010. I just put them both on notification, so we will know whenever they have a court date. I find it incomprehensible that this has not gone to trial. It is completely unacceptable to me that they can't seem to try this case.
    Last edited by Salem; 11-30-2011 at 04:24 AM.

34. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Belinda For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast