GUILTY CO - Kiaya Campbell, 10, Thornton, 7 June 2017 *Arrest* #2

Greater Than

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
10 year old girl reported missing from Thornton

eae415bd4db194c5f2b9f8cb47dda7fd

June 8, 2017

Kiaya Campbell was walking from the 12400 block of Forest Drive with the 15-year-old son of her father’s girlfriend to a shopping center near East 136th Avenue and Colorado Boulevard about 7 p.m.

The two became separated in the area of the 12900 block of Colorado Boulevard during a rainstorm.

Police said they are concerned about a drainage ditch in the area that contains large bodies of water.

The girl is described as 5-foot-4 and 150 pounds with brown/blonde hair and blue eyes.

She was last seen wearing blue pants and an orange Broncos shirt, and was carrying a black backpack with gray and white camouflage.

Thornton police find child’s body after search for missing 10-year-old Kiaya Campbell

PUBLISHED: June 8, 2017 at 6:52 pm | UPDATED: June 12, 2017 at 5:28 pm

Thornton police searching for a 10-year-old girl who disappeared during a heavy rainstorm Wednesday night said Thursday evening that they have found the body of a child.

Officers cordoned off an area in a green space near Jasmine Court and Monaco Way. The discovery came hours after Kiaya Campbell went missing while walking with a teenage boy.

Two first-degree murder charges for teen accused in Kiaya Campbell's death

June 14, 2017

The 15-year-old boy arrested in connection with the death of 10-year-old Kiaya Campbell was charged with two counts of first-degree murder Wednesday afternoon in Adams County court.

[...]

Authorities will determine whether the case will go to adult court at the end of the month.

The District Attorney’s Office filed charges against Zellmer for first-degree murder with intent and first-degree murder by a person in a position of trust.

Thread #1

Posting again since thread closed.....

In the last thread someone posted "2 counts murder after reluctance" ... I've never heard of that before. What does it mean?

These are the counts I read:

first-degree murder with intent and after deliberation ... and first-degree murder of a child under the age of 12 by a person in a position of trust.

I took the first one to mean premeditated.

http://kdvr.com/2017/06/14/da-wants-15-year-old-murder-suspect-tried-as-an-adult/

I know squat about law but could there be two counts to get a longer sentence for him? For instance say he gets 40 years for each, can they then request they run consecutively rather than concurrent so he never gets out?

I know squat about law but could there be two counts to get a longer sentence for him? For instance say he gets 40 years for each, can they then request they run consecutively rather than concurrent so he never gets out?
No I don't know anything about the law either. Is it your opinion he should never get out of prison? I know many people feel that way. I just keep wondering if there's some way to salvage this kid.

Some more information on the charges - I think they refer to 18-3-101 C.R.S., parts 2.5 and 3:

Section 18-3-101 C.R.S. of the Colorado criminal code provides definitions for some of the terms in Colorado's first degree murder statute. 18-3-101 C.R.S. provides:

As used in this part 1, unless the context otherwise requires:

(1) “Homicide” means the killing of a person by another.

(2) “Person”, when referring to the victim of a homicide, means a human being who had been born and was alive at the time of the homicidal act.

(2.5) One in a “position of trust” includes, but is not limited to, any person who is a parent or acting in the place of a parent and charged with any of a parent's rights, duties, or responsibilities concerning a child, including a guardian or someone otherwise responsible for the general supervision of a child's welfare, or a person who is charged with any duty or responsibility for the health, education, welfare, or supervision of a child, including foster care, child care, family care, or institutional care, either independently or through another, no matter how brief, at the time of an unlawful act.

(3) The term “after deliberation” means not only intentionally but also that the decision to commit the act has been made after the exercise of reflection and judgment concerning the act. An act committed after deliberation is never one which has been committed in a hasty or impulsive manner.

An act committed after deliberation is never one which has been committed in a hasty or impulsive manner. However, the length of time required for deliberation is not long. All that is required for deliberation is enough time in which to form the intent to murder someone.2

http://www.shouselaw.com/colorado/CO_homicide/CO_first_degree_murder.html#1.1

No I don't know anything about the law either. Is it your opinion he should never get out of prison? I know many people feel that way. I just keep wondering if there's some way to salvage this kid.

Yes. I feel he should never see the light of day. I wish I felt he was salvageable but it sounds like the violence with which she was killed makes him hopeless. IMO [emoji853]

Wonder when her funeral is...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes. I feel he should never see the light of day. I wish I felt he was salvageable but it sounds like the violence with which she was killed makes him hopeless. IMO [emoji853]

RSBM

Agreed, sadly. He has thrown his life away.

I thought I had read something about a neighbor hearing screaming and help... I'm looking for the link now. I think it was done that day MOO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi everyone.

LE has not indicated there are any other suspects or POIs other than the boy who has been charged with this crime.

I realize MSM has reported that he has a twin, but unless and until LE says otherwise, his twin brother is a victim. He is also a minor. Please leave him out of the discussion.

Family members of a victim or suspect are off limits to sleuthing.

:tyou:

There was a very rugged ravine behind those houses and the area was really quite large.

You are right, I live pretty close to there. ☹️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<modsnip>

I'm curious what evidence LE the DA has to charge with first degree murder with intent and after deliberation. I assume from that charge they have reason to believe it was not an accident. Jmo.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

To me that sounds like she died quickly....ONE scream.

But if she did, and her body was badly damaged, then does that mean her killer kept going (the word that we keep hearing is "ravaged") after her death? That is some disturbing amount of anger.

I won't make exceptions for my stance on the death penalty, but when you have juveniles who are a clear danger to society, there needs to be a way to prevent them from harming other people without resorting to inhumane practices. I would argue putting a minor in a regular prison population is (you're pretty much sentencing a kid to prison rape, read the stats), but in some form of protective confinement? Sadly it seems like the least harmful option with some.

<modsnip>

I'm curious what evidence LE the DA has to charge with first degree murder with intent and after deliberation. I assume from that charge they have reason to believe it was not an accident. Jmo.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Maybe she was restrained? Or the wounds were too numerous to be called accidental, or made in more than one way.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back