NORTH KOREA - Otto Warmbier, 22, UV student, released from North Korea, June 2017, Deceased

dotr

Reaction score
http://www.wfmj.com/story/35659261/us-college-student-released-by-north-korea-home-but-in-coma
WYOMING, Ohio (AP) - The father of an American college student released by North Korea and now hospitalized in a coma says his son was "brutalized" by his captors.

Fred Warmbier told Fox News' Tucker Carlson on Wednesday from his Ohio home that his son, Otto, "is not in great shape right now."
"Otto has been terrorized and brutalized for 18 months by a pariah regime in North Korea," the father said in an interview scheduled to air Thursday night.

The 22-year-old University of Virginia student was medically evacuated from North Korea and flown to Cincinnati late Tuesday. He was then taken by ambulance to a hospital.
Fred Warmbier said he does not know exactly what happened to his son during his detention. He and his wife, Cindy, planned a Thursday news conference.

The public appearance will be at Wyoming High School, one of Ohio's top-rated schools. Warmbier graduated from there in 2013 as class salutatorian and had played soccer.

Residents of the northern Cincinnati suburb tied blue-and-white ribbons, the school colors, to trees near the family home. Joy at his release was mixed with concern after his parents said they were told he had been in the coma for over a year.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/warmbier-american-north-korea-injury-1.4161823
attachment.php

Otto Warmbier, American released from North Korea, has 'severe neurological injury'

Family scoffs at North Korea's explanation his condition resulted from botulism, sleeping pill

The Associated Press Posted: Jun 15, 2017
The American college student who was released by North Korea in a coma suffered a "severe neurological injury," according to a spokesperson for an Ohio hospital.

Otto Warmbier is in stable condition after arriving at the hospital two days ago, Kelly Martin of the University of Cincinnati Medical Center said Thursday.
Doctors plan a news conference on campus for later Thursday.

His father, Fred Warmbier, said Thursday he does not believe North Korea's explanation that the coma is the result of botulism and a sleeping pill.

Warmbier was serving a 15-year prison term with hard labour in North Korea after tearfully confessing to trying to steal a propaganda banner while on a visit

"The day after he was sentenced, he went into a coma," Fred Warmbier said in the Fox interview. He said he and his wife, Cindy, only learned of their son's condition last week

Attachments

• otto-warmbier.jpg
    otto-warmbier.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 613
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40293388
"We went for 15 months without a word from or about Otto," Mr Warmbier said of his son, who fought back tears at Thursday's press conference in Cincinnati, Ohio.

"It was only a week ago that the North Korean government now claims that he was in a coma for almost all of that time.
"Even if you believe their explanation of botulism and a sleeping pill causing the coma - and we don't - there's no excuse for a civilised nation to have kept his condition secret and to have denied him top notch medical care."

Otto Warmbier, an economics student from the University of Virginia, was arrested in January 2016 while visiting North Korea as a tourist.

What is botulism?

Botulism is a type of poisoning which can cause total body paralysis, difficulty in breathing and death in some cases.
It's caused by the clostridium botulinum bacteria, but the symptoms of botulism are not from the bacteria themselves.
Instead, the microscopic organisms produce a powerful toxin which attacks the nervous system and causes paralysis.
In honour of his son, Fred Warmbier wore the same jacket Otto was wearing when he was paraded before media to tearfully confess to attempting to take the sign as a "trophy" for a US church.

attachment.php

Medical personnel were seen transferring a person believed to be Mr Warmbier to an ambulance at an airport in Cincinnati on Tuesday night

Attachments

• _96498301_153a55ce-1f2c-423f-a413-6cf1ce319bcc.jpg
    _96498301_153a55ce-1f2c-423f-a413-6cf1ce319bcc.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 626
[video=youtube;N8qZRyIWTf4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N8qZRyIWTf4[/video]
[video=youtube;7Beb_3OT-G0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Beb_3OT-G0[/video]

Thanks for starting his own thread for Otto, dotr. Should we ask for the posts on David's thread to be moved or copied here? I always hate to bug the mods so I always hesitate.

Severe neurological injury... when I Google it I get results for severe brain injury. I know nothing about this stuff. Can't figure out what his prognosis could be... I'm sure it's grim. :(

Thanks for starting his own thread for Otto, dotr. Should we ask for the posts on David's thread to be moved or copied here? I always hate to bug the mods so I always hesitate.

Severe neurological injury... when I Google it I get results for severe brain injury. I know nothing about this stuff. Can't figure out what his prognosis could be... I'm sure it's grim. :(

Reposted some of those links already and it looks like there are and will continue to be, new news concerning Otto's case forthcoming, imo.
Links about Otto, on David Sneddon's thread, will hopefully bring attention to his case too.imo.

Just saw a press conference on Fox News with the medical staff who are treating Otto. It is not good, he has "extensive loss of brain tissue". Brain tissue doesn't regenerate, so..... :cry: I didn't find an updated link, hopefully there will be one available soon.

Just saw a press conference on Fox News with the medical staff who are treating Otto. It is not good, he has "extensive loss of brain tissue". Brain tissue doesn't regenerate, so..... :cry: I didn't find an updated link, hopefully there will be one available soon.

Horrible.

Can loss of brain tissue happen from botulism?

They said it is consistent with cardiac arrest and lack of oxygen to the brain. They called it "unresponsive wakefulness"

He breathes on his own unaided, his eyes are open and he blinks but he has zero cognition.

I just read that while ago. It does sound like a very glum prognosis, because it's always been thought that brain tissue cannot regenerate. I thought I'd read recently, though, studies where brain tissue was discovered to regenerate. I found this:

Summary:
Researchers developed a nanogel that enables the growth of new neurons. Working with animal models, researchers were able to cross the electroencephalic barrier, introduce a nanogel and achieve the growth of neurons within the gel, which shows that it is possible to promote regeneration of brain tissue.
<snip> https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2016/04/160425161604.htm

I hope Otto receives the most advanced care. My heart breaks for his family and the thought of what he must have endured at the hands of the brutal North Korean regime.

The earliest images of his brain from North Korea are dated April 2016, Kanter said. An analysis suggests the injury likely occurred in the preceding weeks.

"This pattern of brain injury is usually seen as result of cardiopulmonary arrest where the blood supply to brain is inadequate for a period of time resulting in the death of brain tissue," he said.

The doctors would not discuss Warmbier's prognosis.
<snip> [video=cnn;us/2017/06/15/otto-warmbier-doctors-severe-neurological-injury-sot.cnn]http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/15/politics/otto-warmbier-north-korea/index.html[/video]

I never believed he suffered botulism. This only shows what pathological liars the North Korean regime are. They are also very ignorant if they thought the medical community would believe it.

Dennis Rodman

Turns Out Dennis Rodman Had Nothing to Do With Otto Warmbier&#8217;s Release

No. Warmbier&#8217;s release was secured by Joseph Yun, a special envoy on North Korea who went to Pyongyang and insisted that the 22-year-old, who is reportedly in a coma, be released on &#8220;humanitarian grounds,&#8221; Reuters reports.

The process was set in motion after a meeting in New York last week, where North Korea&#8217;s ambassador to the U.N. told Yun about Warmbier&#8217;s medical condition. After several days to consult with President Trump and assemble a medical team, Tillerson had Yun and two doctors travel to North Korea to bring Warmbier home. On Monday, they arrived in Pyongyang and Tuesday Warmbier was on a plane back to Cincinnati.

Why did NK release him now after taking care of him and keeping his condition a secret for over a year?
IMO, maybe they're just now convinced that Otto's condition is irreversible so he cannot reveal how he was tortured in NK. The NoKo regime just don't seem very intelligent by any stretch of the word. I do hope Otto can regain some of his functioning but he'll never fully recover. I can't say any more of what I think about the NoKo regime because I'm so steamed. :steamed:

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/15/15808810/north-korea-pyongyang-otto-warmbier-torture-abuse-coma
The strange and sad case of Otto Warmbier, the 23-year-old US citizen freed this week after 15 months of captivity in North Korea, is raising new and serious questions about why Pyongyang broke with its normal practice and injured the young American so horrifically that he came home in a coma.

The University of Virginia student was released Monday after serving the first chunk of an 18-year sentence for committing an unspecified “hostile act” against North Korea. (Warmbier confessed on TV that he was being sentenced for stealing a propaganda poster, though his father has called this a “performance.”)
However, experts on North Korea worry that the politics will distract from what they see as the most disturbing aspect of the entire saga: the extraordinarily harsh way the young American was treated while in captivity.
It’s common for North Korea to abuse its foreign prisoners, but not like this

In an interview, North Korea expert Sung-Yoon Lee of Tufts University said it’s not unprecedented for foreign detainees — even US citizens — to be subject to physical abuse, but said the severity of Warmbier’s injuries is highly unusual.

Lee said the majority of US detainees in North Korea over the past 20 years haven’t been subject to physical abuse, but it’s “more than conceivable” that a regime internationally recognized as having one of the worst human rights records would torture a foreigner like Warmbier.

Robert Park, a Christian missionary who entered North Korea in 2009 said he was tortured and sexually abused by government officials
What is unprecedented with the Warmbier case is the severity of the apparent abuse. No US detainee has ever returned home in a comatose state before

“[North Korea] definitely didn’t intend to show the world how they treat their prisoners, especially ... a young Caucasian US citizen,” Lee said. “That just is not good PR.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back