661 users online (94 members and 567 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17
    Quote Originally Posted by The Farm View Post
    I wonder why the parents chose not to have a full autopsy done?? I just think so much more would have been seen. Old injuries etc.
    I initially thought this was such an odd decision for his family to make, but now that I've had time to really think about it... I think there could be a few plausible reasons for their request.

1) They didn't want or need to know what information might be revealed in the autopsy report. They already knew everything they needed to know -- their son was a happy and healthy young man when he left this country and he was nothing more than the shell of a tortured soul when he arrived back home 15 months later. They wanted to avoid being haunted with the finer details for the rest of their lives. (unfortunately, an overactive imagination will likely haunt them anyway.)

OR

2) The idea of someone cutting into his body and brain after it had already been thru so much pain and suffering was too much to bear.
    ✌️

Otto Warmbier, 22, UV student, released from North Korea, June 2017, Deceased

Quote Originally Posted by MelmothTheLost View Post
    I'm surprised the family could block an autopsy in this situation.

Here in the UK, where there is a suspicious death the coroner orders a full PM and it's carried out. The only exceptions are where there are religious factors (usually involving Muslims and Orthodox Jews) and an external and/or non-invasive examination is sufficient to satisfactorily determine the CoD. If a full PM needs to be carried out where a crime is known or suspected, then it is carried out regardless of the family's wishes. However, where there are religious sensitivies MRI scans and similar are now being used to avoid interfering with the body unless absolutely necessary.
    I don't know if such a request would have been granted in any other situation, but this request was likely granted out of respect to his family and the unique circumstance surrounding his death.
    Last edited by cujenn81; 09-29-2017 at 08:07 PM.
    ✌️

Quote Originally Posted by cujenn81 View Post
    I initially thought this was such an odd decision for his family to make, but now that I've had time to really think about it... I think there could be a few plausible reasons for their request.

1) They didn't want or need to know what information might be revealed in the autopsy report. They already knew everything they needed to know -- their son was a happy and healthy young man when he left this country and he was nothing more than the shell of a tortured soul when he arrived back home 15 months later. They wanted to avoid being haunted with the finer details for the rest of their lives. (unfortunately, an overactive imagination will likely haunt them anyway.)

OR

2) The idea of someone cutting into his body and brain after it had already been thru so much pain and suffering was too much to bear.
    These are good points that I think are likely. However, I also wonder if they weren't advised by physicians that, since Otto had been in this condition for over a year, and given the MRI results and blood work, that there was little or nothing additional that could be gleaned from a full autopsy. An autopsy would reveal the reason he finally died (which I believe they already knew) but not the cause of the injuries that left him so brain damaged. Given that advice, I would think it's simple to see why no autopsy was done. The doctors already knew all that could be known. We aren't trying to solve a murder mystery. We know he was likely tortured to death. Proving it won't put anyone in jail.
    Last edited by PrairieWind; 09-30-2017 at 01:12 AM.

We don't know that he was "tortured to death." There is no actual physical evidence he was tortured. His teeth, per the coroner, who consulted a forensic dentist, didn't show evidence of trauma. Family is Jewish, so my guess they didn't want autopsy for religious reasons. Whether autopsy would have been useful or not to figure out why he had his brain damage, is anybody's guess.

"...the fact that he has anoxic encephalopathy or brain damage caused by the lack of oxygen to the brain, we don't know what the root cause of that is.""
    http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...till-a-mystery
    Last edited by jjenny; 09-30-2017 at 05:04 PM.
    Just my opinion

The disparity about the teeth is strange. Not sure what to make of that.
    In my personal opinion, there is no doubt he was tortured or mistreated in some fashion that led to this condition. I base this mostly off the fact that the explanation given by the North Koreans is widely disputed by other physicians. If botulism was the cause, i think they would have released him to US custody immediately instead of holding on to him for another year. But again, that is just my opinion.

Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7 15 16 17