672 users online (83 members and 589 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Dennis Rodman

Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    Dennis Rodman
    Well there seem to be conflicting reports whether Dennis Rodman had something to do with Otto's release or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    Dennis Rodman
    Turns Out Dennis Rodman Had Nothing to Do With Otto Warmbier’s Release

No. Warmbier’s release was secured by Joseph Yun, a special envoy on North Korea who went to Pyongyang and insisted that the 22-year-old, who is reportedly in a coma, be released on “humanitarian grounds,” Reuters reports.

The process was set in motion after a meeting in New York last week, where North Korea’s ambassador to the U.N. told Yun about Warmbier’s medical condition. After several days to consult with President Trump and assemble a medical team, Tillerson had Yun and two doctors travel to North Korea to bring Warmbier home. On Monday, they arrived in Pyongyang and Tuesday Warmbier was on a plane back to Cincinnati.

Quote Originally Posted by Elainera View Post
    Why did NK release him now after taking care of him and keeping his condition a secret for over a year?
    IMO, maybe they're just now convinced that Otto's condition is irreversible so he cannot reveal how he was tortured in NK. The NoKo regime just don't seem very intelligent by any stretch of the word. I do hope Otto can regain some of his functioning but he'll never fully recover. I can't say any more of what I think about the NoKo regime because I'm so steamed.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

https://www.vox.com/world/2017/6/15/...ure-abuse-coma
    The strange and sad case of Otto Warmbier, the 23-year-old US citizen freed this week after 15 months of captivity in North Korea, is raising new and serious questions about why Pyongyang broke with its normal practice and injured the young American so horrifically that he came home in a coma.

The University of Virginia student was released Monday after serving the first chunk of an 18-year sentence for committing an unspecified “hostile act” against North Korea. (Warmbier confessed on TV that he was being sentenced for stealing a propaganda poster, though his father has called this a “performance.”)
    However, experts on North Korea worry that the politics will distract from what they see as the most disturbing aspect of the entire saga: the extraordinarily harsh way the young American was treated while in captivity.
    It’s common for North Korea to abuse its foreign prisoners, but not like this
    In an interview, North Korea expert Sung-Yoon Lee of Tufts University said it’s not unprecedented for foreign detainees — even US citizens — to be subject to physical abuse, but said the severity of Warmbier’s injuries is highly unusual.

Lee said the majority of US detainees in North Korea over the past 20 years haven’t been subject to physical abuse, but it’s “more than conceivable” that a regime internationally recognized as having one of the worst human rights records would torture a foreigner like Warmbier.
    Robert Park, a Christian missionary who entered North Korea in 2009 said he was tortured and sexually abused by government officials
    What is unprecedented with the Warmbier case is the severity of the apparent abuse. No US detainee has ever returned home in a comatose state before
    “[North Korea] definitely didn’t intend to show the world how they treat their prisoners, especially ... a young Caucasian US citizen,” Lee said. “That just is not good PR.”

I was a bit surprised that Otto looked to be average weight in the pic of him being carried to the ambulance. I do not understand why they carried him when the stretchers were right there. It gave me hope that his condition wasn't as bad as we had heard

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    I was a bit surprised that Otto looked to be average weight in the pic of him being carried to the ambulance. I do not understand why they carried him when the stretchers were right there. It gave me hope that his condition wasn't as bad as we had heard
    I was really surprised that they carried him off the plane. Maybe the plane didn't have a door opening that would have allowed a stretcher to be raised to the door or maybe the stairs were too narrow to carry a stretcher safely. It seemed really odd.

Quote Originally Posted by lucky181 View Post
    I was really surprised that they carried him off the plane. Maybe the plane didn't have a door opening that would have allowed a stretcher to be raised to the door or maybe the stairs were too narrow to carry a stretcher safely. It seemed really odd.
    I can't remember where, but I read that it was easier to carry him down the steps like that rather than carry him down the steps on a stretcher, since he has no outward physical injuries.
    "Some circumstantial evidence is very strong, as when you find a trout in the milk."
    - Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    I can't remember where, but I read that it was easier to carry him down the steps like that rather than carry him down the steps on a stretcher, since he has no outward physical injuries.
    WS-verified RN meanmaryjean explained exactly that in the other thread (for David Sneddon). That might be where you read it. I found it odd at first too.

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Anna View Post
    MeanMaryJean commented on that on David Sneddon's thread.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...7#post13436617
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...9#post13439339

Fwiw,my experience..
    Years ago when i lived several floors up in an apartment building and needed to be raced to a hospital, the emergency workers carried me out because they said there was no time to go back for a stretcher. Perhaps the elevator was also too cramped.

Here's the thread for David Sneddon: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...-Jong-un-Korea for easy cross-referencing. Some posts about Otto were copied here from there, but there are still others about him only in that thread.

wth did they do to him?! Omg poor Otto ...

Quote Originally Posted by neesaki View Post
    Just saw a press conference on Fox News with the medical staff who are treating Otto. It is not good, he has "extensive loss of brain tissue". Brain tissue doesn't regenerate, so..... I didn't find an updated link, hopefully there will be one available soon.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyL View Post
    wth did they do to him?! Omg poor Otto ...
    What did the slogan say on the removed sign that would result in a young university student getting 15 years hard labour
    and ending up in a coma shortly after his "trial"?!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier

Quote Originally Posted by dotr View Post
    What did the slogan say on the removed sign that would result in a young university student getting 15 years hard labour
    and ending up in a coma shortly after his "trial"?!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otto_Warmbier
    propaganda banner - political slogan

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ard-labor.html

ETA: sorry dotr, I see that you got that much. No idea what the exact words were. Hail to the Chief or the like I imagine.
    Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
    Margaret Mead

This poor young man and his family.
    All of my love and prayers are going out to them during their ordeal now that they have him home and are learning of his suffering.
    I wasn't aware of Otto until yesterday's news.

jmo
    Always do the right thing because you do enough things you think are right that end up being wrong-my dad-RIP 1/19/2013

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast