1253 users online (184 members and 1069 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

US Navy: bodies of 7 missing sailors found inside damaged destroyer USS Fitzgerald

US destroyer collided with a merchant ship at 2:30 am in sea of Japan. 7 sailors missing: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-vessel.html
    Last edited by Greater Than; 06-16-2017 at 10:12 PM.

GigTu is offline ♥ ѧѦ ѧѦѧ︵͡ ︵ѧѦ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    US destroyer collided with a merchant ship at 2:30 am in sea of Japan. 7 sailors missing: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...nt-vessel.html
    With ALL of the technology available to a US Navy destroyer, which would never be traveling alone and always in a group (most likely surrounding a nuclear aircraft carrier), how could a ship NOT see the merchant ship on the radar and have plenty of time to change course or take some other evasive action that would avoid such a collision? Seems like someone was (literally?) asleep at the wheel. I sure hope those crew members are found and are okay. This is an unnecessary mistake, and loss of life of some of our finest would be tremendous tragedy.
    Last edited by Greater Than; 06-16-2017 at 10:12 PM.

Seven US Navy crew missing after collision off Japan

From the BBC:

Seven US Navy crew missing after collision off Japan

8 minutes ago

Seven US Navy crew members are missing after their ship collided with a merchant vessel off the coast of Japan.

A number of people are also reportedly hurt, with one evacuated by helicopter.

The crash involving the Navy destroyer USS Fitzgerald happened 56 nautical miles (103km) south-west of the city of Yokosuka at about 2:30am local time (18:30 BST) on Saturday.

Japan's public broadcaster, NHK, showed aerial footage of the US ship with heavy damage on one side.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-40310563

How in the world did they manage to collide?
    MOO
    Delphi Murders -- Six Thousand Billboards Across the USA
    Reply with Quote is everyone's friend.
    “Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts.” Patrick Moynihan

Looks like significant damage:

The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Fitzgerald, damaged by colliding with a Philippine-flagged merchant vessel, is seen off Shimoda, Japan in this photo taken by Kyodo June 17, 2017. Mandatory credit Kyodo/via REUTERS
    Attached Images Attached Images

GigTu is offline ♥ ѧѦ ѧѦѧ︵͡ ︵ѧѦ ̵̗̊o̵̖ ♥
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiandmighty View Post
    One more update: http://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/D...lision-update/
    Last edited by Greater Than; 06-16-2017 at 10:15 PM.

The above article stated that the USS Fitzgerald was sailing in formation with the USS Carl Vinson and USS Ronald Reagon and they were also training with the Japanese Maritime Self Defense Force, all this really makes one wonder how on earth the collision happened. It could only happen if someone was literally asleep at the wheel. JMOO
    Ships - especially great big warships that weigh about 80,000 tons probably more - can't just hit the breaks and screech to a stop, I think they take about a mile or more to stop quickly.
    This is so tragic, these military personnel are so well trained, it makes this such a terrible loss. At 2.30 am local time, most of them would have been sleeping in their bunks and would not have know what happened.
    JMOO

I'm so distressed over this. I have a niece in the navy and I haven't heard back from her parents. Praying for all.
    EVERYTHING I POST IS EITHER MY OPINION, MY EXPERIENCE OR MY BELIEF. MOOYAH

Quote Originally Posted by MIKAYOYO View Post
    I'm so distressed over this. I have a niece in the navy and I haven't heard back from her parents. Praying for all.
    She's fine. She's here in Norfolk. Thank God!

Heartbreaking.

Young sailor is identified as one of the seven missing at sea

http://dailym.ai/2sCwmaa

CARIIS is online now "A penny for your thoughts" put in your 2 cents what happens to the other penny?
    Breaking now

They found them all deceased in the bulkholds
    MS
    NBC
    I tried to be normal once-- it was the worst two months of my life!

The bodies of the seven missing were found inside the ship where it was crushed.

http://www.11alive.com/mb/news/natio...rald/449993209

Quote Originally Posted by CARIIS View Post
    Breaking now

They found them all deceased in the bulkholds
    MS
    NBC
    Omg Noooo! So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by GigTu View Post
    With ALL of the technology available to a US Navy destroyer, which would never be traveling alone and always in a group (most likely surrounding a nuclear aircraft carrier), how could a ship NOT see the merchant ship on the radar and have plenty of time to change course or take some other evasive action that would avoid such a collision? Seems like someone was (literally?) asleep at the wheel. I sure hope those crew members are found and are okay. This is an unnecessary mistake, and loss of life of some of our finest would be tremendous tragedy.
    Agree .. it seems intuitively obvious that both the ships should have been in communication prior to impact, and both ships would have seen it on radar that the impact was going happen, and to be able to evacuate the area of anticipated impact where the seven bodies were found.

Tragic

CARIIS is online now "A penny for your thoughts" put in your 2 cents what happens to the other penny?
    Quote Originally Posted by Bently View Post
    Agree .. it seems intuitively obvious that both the ships should have been in communication prior to impact, and both ships would have seen it on radar that the impact was going happen, and to be able to evacuate the area of anticipated impact where the seven bodies were found.

Tragic

If it was not on purpose they are kinda like a train take a hard time to stop - especially if the water is pushing them

it seems like there would have to be something wherein one of them lost control of something and could not correct -- that is why the on purpose crossed my mind

like if the smaller one lost ability to get out of way or something ??
    I tried to be normal once-- it was the worst two months of my life!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast