Surfer Who Punched Great White Shark in the Nose is Recovering

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Ore. Surfer Who Slugged Shark Recovering

PORTLAND, Ore. - A surfer who fended off a great white shark by punching it in the nose said he learned the tactic by watching television shows such as the Discovery Channel's "Shark Week."
Brian Anderson, 36, remained hospitalized Monday but was expected to make a full recovery from lacerations on his ankle and calf.

"It's like your worst nightmare," Anderson said by phone from his Portland hospital bed, though he also called the attack "an adventure which has made life that much more precious and interesting."

More: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051227/ap_on_re_us/oregon_shark_attack

AP Photo: Brian Anderson, of Seaside, Ore., holds up the fist he used to beat off a...

You know how they always say that sharks are attracked to the smell of blood? Well, wouldn't you say that the smell of $hit in one's wetsuit would elimate the smell of blood:silenced: Just something to think about:rolleyes:

How do they know it was a great white??

or is that just media sensationalism?

I think he descibed the shark fairly well. I saw an interview on tv.

Hubby went on a night dive several years ago and was tying the boat off to the wreck for a line for the divers when he came face to face with a bull shark around 8 to 10 ft long. He had to go hide in the wreck until he got himself under control and thought the shark had lost interest.
I live on the beach and none of us swam this year do to the shark attacks on either side of our area. It is a bummer but I am terrified of getting bitten.

Amraann said:
How do they know it was a great white??

or is that just media sensationalism?
Surfer's on the West Coast know Great White's pretty well--they are one of the very few sharks known to attack surfers, especially when the surfers are emulating the Great Whites favorite prey, and they are a very distinctive shark.

I don't think it is sensationilsm either. I can recognize one and I live in land locked Atlanta.

The guy lives in the Seaside area and bet he is on track for being the big 'Hottie' now. All relaxed on the couch with his foot up, a big fire in the fireplace, Christmas decorations all around and a soft Santa hat on his head. LOL

I heard a newscast last night that his foot has taken a turn for the worse, but then heard nothing more about that. Any news on this?

Scandi

http://www.heraldtribune.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051227/BREAKING/51227007

Anderson was hospitalized Saturday, then released Christmas Day in time to open presents with his wife and 10-year-old son. When he returned for a checkup that evening, doctors in Seaside became troubled by the depth of the wound and the possibility of bone damage, as well as infection, and instructed him to check himself into a hospital in Portland.

Brian Anderson, 36, remained hospitalized Monday but was expected to make a full recovery from lacerations on his ankle and calf.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back