62 dead in central Portugal fires; many died in cars as flames swept roads

wfgodot

Former Member
Reaction score
Washington Post:

62 dead in central Portugal wildfires; many killed in cars

AVELAR, Portugal — Raging forest fires in central Portugal killed at least 62 people, many of them trapped in their cars as flames swept over a road, in what the prime minister on Sunday called “the biggest tragedy” the country has experienced in years.

Portugal has declared three days of national mourning for the victims in the blaze “which has caused an irreparable loss of human life,” according to a government statement.

A lightning strike is believed to have sparked the blaze in the Pedrogao Grande area after investigators found a tree that was hit during a “dry thunderstorm,” the head of the national judicial police said.
more at link above

An acquaintance lives there and says it was beyond a nightmare. My thoughts are with everyone in Portugal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

What a nightmare. People jumped in their cars to escape the fire, but the fire went so fast and crossed a road, so then they were locked in. They either burned alive or died because of the smoke. Horrible dead.

My heart goes out to all the victims and their families.

This is truly devastating. Prayers for all affected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is horrific I wonder why it hasn't been covered more extensively by the media? I hope everyone who died Rests In Peace. It is a horrendous way to die. Portugal is a wonderful country I have had many happy times there.

Just terrible. We often have fires like this in Australia, but people are warned early to get out and then, given instructions to not try to drive out when it has reached the point that fleeing is not possible.
You make a decision early whether to get out or to stay and shelter.

This is horrific I wonder why it hasn't been covered more extensively by the media? I hope everyone who died Rests In Peace. It is a horrendous way to die. Portugal is a wonderful country I have had many happy times there.

It's not covered because it's not sensational in that no one did this on purpose.

It has been covered extensively in Australia, maybe because it so like some of our experiences. I also read that Portugal has been reforested with Eucalyptus trees. They are a big part of our problem. They are highly flammable and grow really close together., but have patchy shade which allows a lot of undergrowth which feeds fires.

Did any Americans die? I have a friend from California that was in Portugal visiting her mother. Not sure where though

Did any Americans die? I have a friend from California that was in Portugal visiting her mother. Not sure where though

probably not. I think I learned of this here. I scour news here in the US and haven't seen it mentioned. [emoji853]

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong