Not because she died on Christmas..but because she did her pageants.

Shanny

Reaction score
Alot of people think that JonBenet's murder went world wide because she died on Christmas. But I don't think that's the reason.

When JonBenet first got murdered the police
were just going to release the murder case in to local news, but then
when they found out she was doing her Beauty Pageants, it shocked and fasinated the nation.
No one had ever heard of child beauty pageants before and it made everyone wonder "Why was this little girl dressed up
like a young adult performing on stage?"
When the press got a hold of the pageant pictures and video tapes her case blew up.
If JonBenet was a normal little girl her case would not have been all over news.
People wanted to know:
Why did JonBenet do them ?
Did she like doing them ? Was she forced to do them ?
Or did she have enough of doing them ?

One of JonBenet classmates
said " The only reason why everyone knew about her dying was because
her family had alot of money and she did those pageant, if she was
just a normal girl I think only a few people would have knew about
her dying."
Little girls get murdered EVERYDAY and we
only hear about it one time in the news and then it goes away.
JonBenet's case has been going on for 9 years!
Mostly ALL of JonBenet pictures on the front of
magazines are of her in her pageant outfits, they never show normal
pictures of JonBenet with out make-up or pictures of her being a
kid.
All over magazine covers & book covers world wide dressed in her
pageant outfits and crown she's known as " The little Beauty Queen
who got murdered."

I am glad you finally stated that you THINK something is true.
The pageant angle has been discussed. JonBenet's case broke days before the first beauty pageant video broke. That is not to say that the first photo wasn't a professional photo presented by the Ramseys or on behalf of the Ramseys to the press.

It was WEEKS before we saw a photo of her as she really appeared every day in her little pink turtleneck and straight hair, when her school photo was presented for publication.

You can blame the pageants, but the pageant circuit, warped as it is for little children, didn't produce a rogue killer. The killer, according to what the vast majority of the public and the posters here think, came from within the house, within the family.

Three things were staged around Christmas and deal with the murder:
1) The gift of a gold ID bracelet with her name and date of Christmas, which was also the date of her death. Many of us have thought the body was intended to be dumped but that Burke woke up and the plan had to be changed.

2) The strange departures of 2 family members who apparently had intended to stay in Boulder for Christmas, Don Paugh and John Andrew Ramsey.

3) Patsy ordering a Christmas doll which she said looked like JonBenet.. JonBenet in a casket, that is. Later she said that JonBenet didn't lke the doll.

There's more, and I am sure that if you are involved with the case, you can name other strange Christmas- centric things which happened that year, such as the arrival of the yearly newsletter in their friends' mail after Christmas, when JonBenet was already dead. The 911 hang- up call at the 23rd Christmas party. So forth and so on. Santa's presence.. It's a very strange crimescene. Even the news copy was riveting on a slow Christmas holiday news night, the exterior of the house decorated with large candy canes down the driveway and the yellow crimescene tape juxtaposed with it. My geographical area got the news reports very early due to the Ramsey family ties to the area. The entire country may not have seen the initial video footage of her tiny body being removed from the house after dark.

Shanny said:
Alot of people think that JonBenet's murder went world wide because she died on Christmas. But I don't think that's the reason.

when they found out she was doing her Beauty Pageants, it shocked and fasinated the nation.
No one had ever heard of child beauty pageants before and it made everyone wonder "Why was this little girl dressed up
When the press got a hold of the pageant pictures and video tapes her case blew up.
If JonBenet was a normal little girl her case would not have been all over news.
People wanted to know:

One of JonBenet classmates
said " The only reason why everyone knew about her dying was because
her family had alot of money and she did those pageant, if she was
just a normal girl I think only a few people would have knew about
her dying."
Little girls get murdered EVERYDAY and we
only hear about it one time in the news and then it goes away.
JonBenet's case has been going on for 9 years!
Mostly ALL of JonBenet pictures on the front of
magazines are of her in her pageant outfits, they never show normal
pictures of JonBenet with out make-up or pictures of her being a
kid.
All over magazine covers & book covers world wide dressed in her
pageant outfits and crown she's known as " The little Beauty Queen
who got murdered."

We've had very little coverage of the Ramsey case here in the UK - most people have not heard of Jonbenet Ramsey and you have to describe her as the "little beauty queen who was murdered at Christmas" before the penny drops.

The first "major" coverage we got was Tracey's first documentary in July 1998. I had seen one article about the case prior to that but it focused on the fact that the parents weren't cooperating with police investigating the case - NOT on the pageant angle.

I do think this is the reason that most people suspect the Ramseys. It is very shoddy indeed to decline to go to the police station and help investigators with their enquiries. It is very shoddy to impose ridiculous conditions on any co-operation you are willing to give. I doubt anyone would have denied them their right to have lawyers present at the interviews but everyone knows how quickly details fade in memory and how important it is to document EVERY detail ASAP - in case it may be important (and who knows what may be important?).

Had this case been British, the Ramseys would have been charge with obstruction of justice. Police would have arrested them and held them in cells for up to (I think it is) 36 hours. Murder isn't pleasant - it's very, very ugly. No-one suggest that it would have been easy for them to sit down with police and answer questions at that point. However they were the last people to see JonBenet before she was murdered. They knew her better than anyone. They were with her during her final days and hours and they had a moral DUTY to assist the investigation - for JonBenet's sake as well as any other future victims of the killer (although there appear to have been none in 9 years).

Instead, the Ramseys thumbed their noses at investigators because they weren't getting an automatic pass based upon the "kind of people" they were. i.e. They thought they were above the Law.

Shanny said:

People wanted to know:

Okay, I hear what you're saying. So why do you think Laci Peterson's case went nationwide? Was it because it was Christmas, they were a handsome couple, or that she was pregnant? Any thoughts? Anyone??
Sorry, but I dip into the SP every now and again and I'm sorry this is sort of off topic.

I think Laci Peterson became a huge story mostly because she was rather pregnant at the time, and people have a soft spot for babies and pregnant women, but tied into it was the Christmas aspect...lady having her first baby missing at Christmastime. We all wanted to find her so she could be home enjoying herself, getting ready for her child, happy for Christmas.

I think JonBenet probably enjoyed certain aspects of the pageants. She played a game called "Presenting" in which she pretended to be onstage during a pageant, so that indicates to me that she must have liked it enough to want to mimic while in daily play, but I doubt she liked all of the work that went into it - the lessons, the fittings, the rehearsals, the sitting and being made up and coiffed...most little girls I have seen on documentaries about child beauty pageants just want to be around their friends and make their mothers happy, but dislike being part of the work behind the pageants. I assume she wanted more time to just be a child and not have to perform to please her mother. Part of her liking it was probably tied into knowing it pleased her mother to do so.

I don't think JonBenet was given a choice as to whether she wanted to compete in pageants or not, or if she was, she knew she was expected to say she wanted to compete. I consider that forcing her to do it. When I was about 5, I had a favorite blanket...one day my mom bought me a new one, and asked me if I wanted it rather than the old one I loved, and I said yes, because I knew she wanted me to say yes, although I dearly wanted to keep my old and cherished one. I assume the same was true of JonBenet competing in pageants. She knew her mother wanted her to do it, so to please her mother, she said she did (I also think Patsy had a screw loose and JonBenet knew it and was afraid of disobeying her mother about something her mother absolutely wanted her to do.)

Let's face it - a big reason that both cases went nationwide (worldwide?)is because they were 'easy on the eye'. Not to mention they were from 'good' families. Poor people from poor neighborhoods are missing and pass away all the time and only the locals get to hear about it.

ellen13 said:
Shanny said:

Okay, I hear what you're saying. So why do you think Laci Peterson's case went nationwide? Was it because it was Christmas, they were a handsome couple, or that she was pregnant? Any thoughts? Anyone??
Sorry, but I dip into the SP every now and again and I'm sorry this is sort of off topic.
]

I believe that JonBenet enjoyed the pageants, she was in that aspect
"Patsy made over"

But still her pageants is what caught the nation,
can anyone honestly say that they got caught up in the JonBenet's case because she was killed on Christmas night?
Her pictures ARE a fasination, if you look at normal pictures of her it's like....oh well yeah she got killed just like any other child in America.
http://www.cnn.com/US/9712/20/ramsey/jon.benet.ramsey.jpg

But when you see pageant photos of her it's like WOW who is this little girl?
Her pageants made the case much bigger than ever.
http://www.cybersleuths.com/gifs/jbrnewsweek.jpg
http://www.acandyrose.com/page57.gif

In my area,it wasn't one specific thing that got people interested in the JBR case,it was a build up.

At first,it was a small blurb,everyone saying,gee,that's terrible,another little girl murdered.

Shortly after,it was:A lttle girl murdered on Christmas,I saw a picture of her on the news from the pageants.A little water cooler chat about opinions about pageants in general. Still just another terrible tragedy.

What started eyebrows to raise,and interest to grow,is when it came on the news that the police were holding back on giving the little girls body back to the parents. People started listening a little closer.

Then the clincher ... body was held because parents were not cooperating. This is when the story was getting big in my area. It was getting interesting. Little girl from wealthy family,murdered on Christmas Day in own home.And now the parents and police are playing a cat and mouse game.

So,it wasn't so much the pageants,that was a small part.although the media try to make it a much bigger part.It was more,all the ins and outs of this whole case.

That's how it was here, too, Capps.

Brefie said:
Let's face it - a big reason that both cases went nationwide (worldwide?)is because they were 'easy on the eye'. Not to mention they were from 'good' families. Poor people from poor neighborhoods are missing and pass away all the time and only the locals get to hear about it.
Come on Bre.....that is not always true. I think we are getting better and better about looking for our lost children. It is sad when any child goes missing. I think the reason she made big headlines was due to most people thinking the parents were guilty right from the start. I still think it was a Ramsey. Where have you been? I have not seen you much lately. A big "HI" from me to you.:dance: Hope your holidays were great.

Hey!! How are ya? My holidays were 'uh - okay'!! Hope yours were awesome. :D

Back on topic - I have to stick with the fact that I hear so much more about missing people and murders on WS than I do on my local news. Nobody wishes what I said weren't even a little true more than me.

We are def getting better, though, so that's great!

Pageants are very common here in the South, and except for the pictures of the winners in the local newspapers, they basically go unnoticed. They are just a "way of life" here for lots of girls (and even young boys). There's a "Miss" everything, and a "Little Miss" everything. So, naturally the pageant aspect of JB's murder did not enthrall me. I would have to say the Christmas timing was more interesting to me.

Did anyone see "Daisy Does America" the other night? She entered a pageant. It looked much like the pageantry in which JB was involved. Girls of all ages, in all categories, dressed up in all types of clothing and with lots of makeup. Awards were given for Prettiest Smile, Sportswear, etc... There was even a little girl who looked like JB, to me.

Brefie said:
Hey!! How are ya? My holidays were 'uh - okay'!! Hope yours were awesome. :D

Back on topic - I have to stick with the fact that I hear so much more about missing people and murders on WS than I do on my local news. Nobody wishes what I said weren't even a little true more than me.

We are def getting better, though, so that's great!
:blowkiss: May your new year be fantastic! We are not going out this year. We will just be sharing steaks and playing cards and dominoes with a few friends. I think it will be fun though. :p

I just came across this post on another forum; food for thought!

"It never ceased to amaze me how much I thought they revealed without them seeming to realize it. For example, Patsy refers to her and Jon-Benet's favorite song "Wherever we Go" several different times to different interviewers as well as in her book. Maybe someone else wouldn't be aware of it, but Patsy points out the song is from "Gypsy"...a movie and Broadway play about a scheming, manipulative mother who lives vicariously through her daughter and pushes her into stripping. Yeah, yeah, once again I realize that is a small thing, but WHY in the world would you bring it up time and again when you are very much aware that you are being accused in the public eye of sexualizing your little baby and pushing her into performing provacatively?"

tell you the truth the first time I saw a Jonbenet pageant video on the news I thought,"Who is this little girl, some child actress I've never heard about?" She brought to mind the little blonde haired girl who was in Poltergeist. But that was my first thought. After watching for a few minutes I could see it was a child beauty pageant. I'm not from the South but I had heard of these. It didn't have any affect on me and still doesn't.

trixie said:
tell you the truth the first time I saw a Jonbenet pageant video on the news I thought,"Who is this little girl, some child actress I've never heard about?" She brought to mind the little blonde haired girl who was in Poltergeist. But that was my first thought. After watching for a few minutes I could see it was a child beauty pageant. I'm not from the South but I had heard of these. It didn't have any affect on me and still doesn't.
I think the pageant pictures helped give the story legs. All those visuals for the news shows to put up. Some people still don't seem to get that those were theme costumes not party dresses. It also helped that her name was one of a kind and you didn't even need to remember her last name so google searches were easy. Wealthy parents also added to the uniqueness of the case. Then you stir in the suggestion it was the parents who killed her and/or that the police were flubbing the investigation and you've got tabloid tv heaven. But I think without the pageant footage it all would have subsided the way the Elizabeth Smart case did.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak
Back