1012 users online (163 members and 849 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

DNA From JonBenet's Clothes Given to FBI

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news...Benet-DNA.html

DENVER (AP)--A sample of male DNA found on JonBenet Ramsey's underwear has been submitted to FBI investigators seven years after the 6-year-old was slain in her parents' home, the family attorney said Friday.

``The Ramseys have a lot of hope that the DNA will solve the case,'' said their lawyer, L. Lin Wood.

The DNA sample was taken from two drops of blood on the garment, which has been in storage with authorities since the investigation began into the child's murder
    IMHO

I was reading that at *******'s forum. Mame was warning Fleet White and Spade that Lou Smit is going to be their worse nightmare. Was does that mean?

MaxiGuest
    I can't access that link. It says I have to be an aol member or something. Is the story anywhere else?

It's at the thread called "Actual News" at the 2B WS.

"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler".

Albert Einstein

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated”.

Mahatma Gandhi

...thanks for the link, Jack!

...feme.
    ...feme.

Thanks Jack. That is a different article from the one I read.

MameGuest

What I said...

This is exactly what I said at *******'s forum....

I haven't taken a trip there in awhile...but, I'm told Spade is suggesting ******* didn't require Lou Smit's services. Ha. Spade could only hope that's the case! If I were Spade or Fleet White I'd sure be worried that Lou is still on the case!!! He might just be their worst nightmare!
    Yes, I think Spade is highly questionable. Yes, I think he should be investigated. His involvement in this case has been sketchy from day one...

And, yes investigators like Lou Smit and Tom ******* could end up being Spade's worst nightmare. Especially now when accurate DNA comparisons can be made with the DNA extracted from the clothing!

Well, Longmont Times published a much longer article with quotes from Tom ******* who is not so optimistic about solving the case. Ironic since he is the only full time investigator.

No mention of Lou, and Ollie has not been spoken to since June. Alot of quotes from Tricia of FFJ.

http://www.longmontfyi.com/regionstate.htm

MameGuest

The DNA News...

I think both articles are filled with interesting information.

I would say that Tom ******* is cautiously optimistic. ******* knows the work involved in taking over this case. It was a mess...and going back to reinvestigate and set things right is a long arduous job. Lou Smit is on the case and always will be. Ollie not speaking to them? He's not on the investigative team, he's a private investigator. I'm sure he shared what needed to be shared a long time ago. I spoke with Ollie a few weeks ago and he continues to work on the case...day in and day out.

Everyone is right where they should be...and now the DNA sample is off to the FBI. The sample will not only be submitted to the national database...but, will be retested against old comparisons with known suspects whose tests came back "inconclusive". The old suggestion that the DNA is degraded and worthless can now be put to bed.

This is all great news for the case.

Re: The DNA News...

Originally posted by Mame
    This is all great news for the case.
    It sure is. Let's file those articles someplace handy so a year from now on the 8th aniversary we can email them to Limp Wood and ask him where his big bad intruder is.
    I'm hoping the FBI will do a full analysis of the DNA and finally put this BS to bed for good. Of course if they do, the Ram$eys will just start crying that the FBI is in cahoots with the BPD.

What's interestimg is this information coincides with the filing of the Fox lawsuit, and the interviews were given by no other than Lin Wood. Doesn't anyone see what is happening here?

A DNA data bank search is akin to a Google search and is no great complicated or time consuming feat. In fact,one of the articles mentions there has been "no hits" which seems to imply that searches have already been done. The Longmont article mentions that the sample JUST passed the standards (because of improved technology ?) yet the BPD never submitted it, which is b.s. The BPD has not had the case for a year, nor did they have the "improved" technilogical sample. If Mary Keenan is so competent why has she waited one year to submit it if the technology was there? It wasn't, yet Wood tries to blame the BPD.

And odd that there is no mention of the "defensive flesh" as forum posters claiming "insider information" stated in the past. Whatever happened to that? Figment of the imagination?

Is this new blood that was never deliberately tested (which Mr Wood would like us to believe)or is it the same mixed sample of unidentified male DNA mixed with JonBenet's blood that could only be recently tested by a refined method because of advancing DNA technology?

Instead of explaining what this announcement is exactly about, there are lots of smoke and mirrors here.

AND is it just coincidental that the big anouncement seemingly generated by Lin Wood comes 2 days after the Fox suit is filed. Mr. Wood must think the public is a bunch of morons as it is as clear as a bell to me as to what is going on here.

``I do believe the single most important evidence in the case is the DNA,'' Wood said in a telephone interview from his office in Atlanta, where John and Patsy Ramsey now live. ""

The AP writer must not know that the Rs moved to Charlevoix?

Hold the horses! What is this story actually saying? Has NEW testing been done on her underwear? Or is this story kind of misleading?

CODIS is the name given to the FBI DNA database system. It sets the standard for DNA analysis around the US. DNA has many "markers", but CODIS identifies 13 which will be the standard for comparison.

The CODIS database is used for several different functions:-

1) To permanently store known perps' DNA
    2) To permanently store unmatched DNA from crime scenes
    3) To compare DNA from new crimescenes with both of the above (these profiles may then be stored permanently or not depending on the number of markers)

It is my understanding that CODIS requires a minimum of 10 markers before the DNA profile can be stored on the database. Comparisons can however routinely be done with fewer markers. Sabrina is absolutely correct in saying that it's like a Google search to check a DNA profile with existing DNA records on CODIS. The database can also be searched by different bodies. A comparison would take minutes.

I'm not an expert on DNA, but I wonder what this latest story is all about. The investigators have had several samples of DNA since early in the investigation. One wonders if this is a new sample and if not, why the delay in submitting one of the existing samples. There is no good reason for a delay.

I do wonder about one thing. If the DNA in JBR's underwear has too few markers to be permanently stored on the CODIS database and can only be compared with existing DNA profiles, could it be that this story is merely reporting that yet another routine comparison has been made? Patsy Ramsey is supposed to have stated that a sample was being submitted for comparison last year. Samples which have too few markers cannot be stored permanently and so routine comparisons would have to be instigated. Perhaps Patsy reported one routine comparison and Wood has reported another of the same?
    This is only my opinion

Let the focus be on Madeleine

Together we can make a difference

Alert Viewer in Scotland

Member of Websleuths since April 2000

It would be lovely if there were a match, but I'm not overly optimistic. I think this person knew the Ramseys in some capacity and probably isn't in the FBI database.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast