991 users online (160 members and 831 guests)  

Websleuths News

Tina Foglia, 19, exit ramp westbound Southern State, Feb 1982

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/c...man-1.13750287
    Police ask for help in cold-case murder of Brentwood woman

Updated June 20, 2017
    By John Valenti

Her body was found in plastic bags alongside an exit ramp from the Southern State Parkway to the Sagtikos State Parkway in North Bay Shore on an unseasonably warm February day in 1982. .
    The Brentwood woman was last seen leaving Hammerheads, a 1980s hangout on Sunrise Highway in West Islip where locals met to see hot Long Island-metro area bands like Twisted Sister, Blue Öyster Cult, Zebra and even the Ramones.
    The victim’s family told police that Foglia had gone to Hammerheads to see Equinox, a Queens band. Investigators said the 5-foot-2, 185-pound Foglia often hitchhiked and likely did that night.
    Her family reported Foglia missing on Feb. 3, 1982.
    Later that afternoon, state highway workers picked up the bags containing her dismembered body alongside the exit ramp from the westbound Southern State to the northbound Sagtikos
    Police said Foglia, who had dark, shoulder-length hair and brown eyes, was last seen wearing a white, waist-length hooded jacket, black slacks and brown suede shoes
    A story from the Newsday archives said that “a source close to” the initial investigation had confided that Foglia’s limbs were severed “cleanly,” as if with a butcher’s knife
    Police also examined possible links to city-based suspects, since the band that night was from Queens — drawing many New York City fans to the show
    Attached Images Attached Images

http://pix11.com/2017/01/28/teens-19...l-killer-case/
    Teen’s 1982 murder on parkway has eerie parallels to LI serial killer case

January 28, 2017, by Mary Murphy
    BRENTWOOD, N.Y. — Amy Foglia Gagliardi moved away from Long Island 30 years ago and settled in Virginia, but she can't shake the torment of her 19-year-old sister Tina's gruesome murder in February 1982. It happened 35 years ago next week, with a horrible discovery on the Sagtikos Parkway in Suffolk County.

"They cut her arms and legs off," Gagliardi told PIX11. "Put arms in one bag, legs in another, and her torso in another."

The case is still being investigated by New York State Police, who told PIX11 it's an "important" one, without adding details.
    Tina Elizabeth Foglia was last seen alive at the former Hammerheads rock club in West Islip, which is close to the Sagtikos Parkway and only about eight miles from Oak Beach.

"That leads directly to the same place those other bodies were," Amy Gagliardi reminded PIX11. "You know that, right?"

Suffolk County police discovered 10 bodies in the Gilgo-Oak Beach area between December 2010 and April 2011. A total of 17 victims are potentially tied to the elusive Long Island Serial Killer.
    But Gagliardi wonders about a mystery man that Tina mentioned in a letter, shortly before her murder. "She said she met a doctor," Gagliardi recalled, saying the two met at Hammerheads

Tina Foglia, 19, exit ramp westbound Southern State, Feb 1982

It seems like a lot of trouble to go to dismember a girl you have no link to and he just meet her at the night club night, so I wonder because of that was he known to her and was scared he would be linked to her.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by leep; 06-21-2017 at 11:12 AM.
    JMO

that part about her friend not wanting to open old wounds-I bet my ass she knows something.

https://patch.com/new-york/westislip...brentwood-teen
    Foglia was described as being 5-foot-2, 185 pounds, with brown eyes and brown shoulder length hair.

She was known to hitchhike and frequent nightclubs in Suffolk County, particularly clubs in the towns of Islip and Babylon.
    State Police ask anyone who may have information concerning this investigation to call 631-756-3300.

I might be wrong, but I would think the average person would not go through the trouble of dismembering someone. You must be talking about a real psychopath, or someone intelligent (a doctor, butcher?), who has experience in the human body.

I would think an older male, but not too old, if you are going to a Twisted Sister concert, so possibly 30-35. How did she get to the concert? Did she go alone and needed a ride?

Quote Originally Posted by TMAN2014 View Post
    I might be wrong, but I would think the average person would not go through the trouble of dismembering someone. You must be talking about a real psychopath, or someone intelligent (a doctor, butcher?), who has experience in the human body.

I would think an older male, but not too old, if you are going to a Twisted Sister concert, so possibly 30-35. How did she get to the concert? Did she go alone and needed a ride?
    The band that played the night Tina went to the club, was " Equinox" from Queens.

One thing that occurred to me was that Tina was 5'2', and weighed 185 pounds, which makes me wonder if the person who murdered her dismembered and put her in several bags because it was easier to carry and dispose of her body. Perhaps the killer was not a strong person?
    Tina was known to hitchhike and go to a number of different clubs, especially in the towns of Islip and Babylon.

The cuts made with surgical precision are concerning..
    Wondering if there could be any connections with a nanny from Sweden who sawed off upper body was found in a dumpster, also after leaving a popular nightclub in 1996.
    speculation, imo.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?18885-MA-Karina-Holmer-20-Boston-21-June-1996&highlight=Karina+Holmer
    MA - Karina Holmer, 20, Boston, 21 June 1996

Last edited by dotr; 06-28-2017 at 08:38 PM.

The part of the news story about her meeting a doctor is unsettling. A doctor who used to hang out at Hammerheads. She said he had taken her out a couple of times and she really liked him.

Hopefully people who used to hang out at Hammerheads will remember something about this doctor or anything at all about Tina.

Her body wasn't found too far from Hammerheads and her own home town. Maybe the killer lived in the area, too.
    All statements are my opinion only.

If this "doctor" took her out a few times and she was meeting up with him, she had to have confided to someone about this person - his name, his age, where he's from, what he looked like. When my girlfriends and I were that age, we told each other everything!! And, at 19, I think you're still young enough to be a bit naive, and that makes me wonder if this guy really was, in fact, a doctor or if he just had her believing that.

Doctor Peter Hackett?

Quote Originally Posted by Friday13 View Post
    If this "doctor" took her out a few times and she was meeting up with him, she had to have confided to someone about this person - his name, his age, where he's from, what he looked like. When my girlfriends and I were that age, we told each other everything!! And, at 19, I think you're still young enough to be a bit naive, and that makes me wonder if this guy really was, in fact, a doctor or if he just had her believing that.
    There was a POI we found in Suffolk not far from Bissett that was posting some pretty enticing ads soliciting women online. We already crossed checked his craigslist ads with his Backpage ads and found the email to be linked directly to the POI. Anyway, there are a ton of these ads, all being renewed daily. These are just from craigslist where the poi says he's a "people person" with his "Doctorate" (A lie) likely to win trust with the females. He's also had a pretty violent history with kidnapping, breaking and entering, assault, extortion, pimping women, and Long Island (he's a native). Oh, and he currently he teaches kids karate. Again all speculative for now, but this rabbit hole goes deep!

https://newyork.craigslist.org/searc...slim+doctorate

July 14 2017
    Lengthy article with video.
    http://pix11.com/2017/07/14/male-dna...sland-parkway/

The State Police are now sharing additional information with PIX11, more than three decades after Foglia’s murder, in the hopes that her case will be an early candidate for DNA familial searching, a special test approved for use this fall in New York state.

“I think it’s a great candidate for it because we have the male DNA,” Ocampo told PIX11.

Familial searching involves looking at Y chromosomes that are common among brothers, fathers, uncles and sons. There has been no direct hit on a national database for the male DNA retrieved in Foglia’s case, so familial searching could lead investigators closer to the unknown killer.

“It has been 35 years,” Ocampo said. “The suspect may have had children or brothers who may have had sons.”

Suspects convicted of many crimes in New York state are required to give a DNA sample and have it entered in a national database, called CODIS. If a criminal in the system is related to the unknown Foglia killer, investigators hope they will get a "partial match" hit on the database.

“There’s definitely potential out there for relatives of the suspect to be in the system,” Ocampo said
    When PIX11 initially reported on the Foglia mystery in January, we noted the spot where Tina’s body was found is several miles north of the Robert Moses Causeway, which leads to Oak and Gilgo beaches, important locations in the Long Island serial killer investigation.

We asked Senior Investigator Ocampo if Foglia could have been an early victim of LISK, the Long Island Serial Killer, who dismembered some of his victims.

“There’s always the chance,” Ocampo said. “It’s not something we would rule out.”
    “I believe it’s solvable,” Harris said. “We just need that one, little break.”

New York State Police are asking anyone with information to call them at 631-756-3300.