GUILTY MN - Matthew, Jacob & Justin Backstrom, killed in DUI crash, Farmington, 2004

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
Third Brother Dies From Weekend Crash; Father: "God Is Faithful."

"They are (with) their Lord and Savior," Family Says.

(AP) Farmington, Minn. The parents of three brothers who died in a two-car accident said Monday that they were relying on their faith to get them through the tragedy.

Matthew Backstrom, 20, was driving a 1995 Saturn with his brothers Jacob, 17, and Justin, 16, when their vehicle collided with a 1995 Ford Taurus around 7:30 p.m. Sunday just outside of Farmington, Dakota County Sheriff's officials said. All three brothers died.

"Justin, Jacob and Matthew each had a personal relationship with Jesus Christ and they are now in the presence of their Lord and Savior," their father, Nathan Backstrom, said at a news conference Monday. "Our prayer is because of this, lives will be changed and our God will be glorified."

The driver of the other vehicle was also injured and was in serious condition at Regions Hospital on Monday. The 22-year-old man from rural Farmington was not wearing a seat belt and was thrown from his vehicle, the Department of Public Safety said.

Authorities said the Farmington man pulled out to pass a third vehicle on Highway 50 but decided not to pass after seeing the oncoming Backstrom car. He overcorrected when he swerved back into his lane and ended up crashing into the brothers' car head-on anyway.

The man was talking on a cellular phone at the time, authorities said.

Sheriff Don Gudmundson said inattentive or distracted driving, such as when using a cell phone, is as bad as driving with lower levels of intoxication.

More: http://wcco.com/local/local_story_285125330.htmlhttp://wcco.com/local/local_story_285125330.html

Prayers to this poor, poor family!

One of my co-workers is originally from that area and she knows the family. She says they are just heartbroken. I can't imagine losing a child, but to lose three at once? Their faith must be strong. God bless them.

This happened Oct 11, 2004.

I watch WCCO news & knew it hadn't been reported lately!

cheko1 said:
This happened Oct 11, 2004.

I watch WCCO news & knew it hadn't been reported lately!
Oh, I know why it was in the news...

another of their sons recently went missing and they feared him dead.
Maybe you saw this one.
Here's the CURRENT story. Sorry... I was so tired when I posted last night.
I wasn't trying to mislead anyone. :innocent:

Family's Faith Tested When Son Goes Missing

WCCO) Connie and Nathan Backstrom lost three sons in a car accident more than a year ago. The Farmington, Minn. family was tested again when another son went missing for three hours on a hiking trip.

Ryan Backstrom, 13, was hiking in California's San Gabriel Mountains Monday when he and several other children became separated from a large group.

"To say my heart sank is an understatement," Nathan Backstrom recalled. "I was a little scared. I was panicking a little bit."

"There are animals up there that are dangerous," Connie Backstrom said. "He could have slipped over the edge. All these thoughts are going through your head. He could have been abducted."

Three children were found after a while, but Ryan Backstrom remained missing.

"I'm pretty stunned," Connie Backstrom said. "I thought, 'I've already buried three sons. I can't do another one.'"

The three oldest Backstrom brothers -- Matthew, 20; Jacob, 17; and Justin, 16 -- were killed in October 2004 when their car was hit by a drunk driver near Farmington.

http://wcco.com/local/local_story_361202020.html

Related Stories
Related Links

Take the time to visit the memorial site for the three boys. I can't wait for lunch today with my son- who is on leave from duty in Iraq, just to give him that extra hug, and take more pictures while he is here. Truly these parents have faith on their side!

From May 2015:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/s3799610.shtml

Boe Elijah Barlage of Farmington, who is 33 years old, was sentenced to eight years behind bars for the crash that killed 20-year-old Matthew Backstrom, 17-year-old Jacob Backstrom, and 16-year-old Justin Backstrom. Barlage was 22 years old at the time.

The Dakota County attorney said Barlage had been in court four times before the deadly crash, all of which were for alcohol-related offenses.

On Thursday, Barlage was arrested again and charged with two counts of first-degree DWI.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back