1006 users online (90 members and 916 guests)  

Websleuths News

2017.06.24 - Two month anniversary of POLITIVENT. Has your opinion changed?

For the past two months, there has been lots of discussion, venting, raving, and sarcasm on 194 threads in POLITIVENT.

Have you changed your mind about anything?
    Are you open to explanations of others?
    Do you hope to convince others to change their views?

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/for...-to-Politivent

I don't debate to convince my opposition to change their position. I debate to affect the hearts and minds of people reading/watching silently.
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

"gangs"

I have learned many things from the Politivent threads. I have learned a lot about elections, foreign policy, gerrymandering, about the validity of many news sources and about how slowly things happen in Congress. I have also learned a lot about my fellow Americans, how posters from other countries view our country, and how much I appreciate my fellow Websleuthers. There are some very intelligent posters on here who do the research needed to be well informed and then there are the other posters.

I have gotten very frustrated but also inspired by some of the posts.

Thanks for starting this thread.

The timing of the Politivent Threads was great as it coincided with my interest in Russian collusion story, firing of FBI director Comey, appointment of Special Counsel Mueller, etc. It has been great for me to learn from others as they post informative articles, polls, opinion pieces. I think it is very helpful for me to be able to vent as some of my family, friends voted for Trump and I despise Trump. I really enjoy all the humor!

Quote Originally Posted by SeesSeas View Post
    For the past two months, there has been lots of discussion, venting, raving, and sarcasm on 194 threads in POLITIVENT.

I haven't changed my mind about anything, but I have learned a lot from some users.

I am always open to explanations but I'm demanding - no conspiracy theories, no unreliable/biased sources, no JMO, no random facts that can't be verified, no guessing at numbers or "It seems like..." etc.

I don't want to convince other people to change their views. I'm more curious about how they arrived at the views they have, and I'm happy to explain how I got to where I am. It disappoints me when people fall back on JMO or something rather than defending their stance or providing others with something useful. Either something new to learn or something to debate.

I want to vent, discuss, learn, and I want people to give as good as they get. A lot of users do and we have animated (sometimes literally!) discussions. I appreciate the interactions whether or not we agree. I've learned a lot from them and sometimes it's not even a disagree/agree sort of thing but more of a common concern or interest. Other users.. they post and flounce, or they use logical fallacies to support their arguments, or post one link with no comment or insight. Not interesting, not helpful, why bother?

When the forum opened my favorite part was:
    When you present an opinion, expect opposition, and be prepared to answer questions, and defend your view. That comes with the territory.
    But there are users who are unprepared, don't respond to questions, never defend their views. They just make baseless claims and let them stand.

beep beep beep beep beep

S/O to CARIIS for keeping us up to date on about a billion different things that are happening right now.

beep beep beep beep

I enjoyed reading this story about a father and daughter with opposing political views.
    The author (daughter) is a public school educator from San Francisco, CA and a writer and FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) researcher with Democracy in Crisis.
    http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-n...616-story.html
    I took my Trump-loving father to Mar-a-Lago
    JUNE 18, 2017, 4:48 PM
    A couple of weeks ago, my dad and I stood on a Palm Beach sandbar staring at President Trump's Mar-a-Lago golf club and resort. My dad didn't dress up much for the trip. He was wearing his quintessential summer garb of kneehigh white sport socks, a faux polo shirt from the sale rack, and a pair of somewhat saggy khaki shorts.
    We used my camera's zoom to see the president's resort because the local police and the red-shirted Mar-a-Lago security guard who was staked outside don't allow commoners an up-close view.
    From our perch on the side of the bay furthest away from Mar-a-Lago's front gates, we could catch a glimpse of the the lush green manicured lawns and white tents that workers were in the process of setting up for weekend events. Most of what goes on at Trump's members-only resort happens behind the terracotta walls and requires the recently doubled $200,000 membership fee.
    Even though my dad and I were standing on the same sandbar, looking through the same zoomed phone screen, squinting in the same midday sun, and turned away by the same security guard, we saw totally different things.
    […]
    I can't make my dad see what I see, even when we're staring at the same thing.
    As we stood snapping father-daughter selfies at Mar-a-Lago, I hoped we could stand there in the afternoon sun and we would see it the way I do. Instead, especially since Trump won, we don't just have different perspectives on the beauty of the midday sun, sometimes we can't even agree that there is a sun in the sky at all.
    […]
    During one of the loops around the block, I asked him if he was bothered by Trump's lies. "You cared about the Clinton's lies so much and for so long. How come you don't care as much about Trump lying?" I asked.
    […]

Full story at link:
    http://www.citypaper.com/blogs/the-n...616-story.html

I've had the same opinion about Donald Trump for nearly 30 years. That he is now the American president makes me feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

I consider myself to be a moderate Democrat and live my life in a conservative manner. But I'm disgusted by the GOP's position on nearly every issue. So elitist and inhumane.

I have no reason to change my mind.

I like to see what others post. Ones who feel as I do make me feel good about humanity. People from very different backgrounds. People who have lived very difficult lives but are still cheerful and have a positive outlook .

Quote Originally Posted by Fairy1 View Post
    I've had the same opinion about Donald Trump for nearly 30 years. That he is now the American president makes me feel like I'm living in the Twilight Zone.

I consider myself to be a moderate Democrat and live my life in a conservative manner. But I'm disgusted by the GOP's position on nearly every issue. So elitist and inhumane.
    Me too. I've talked to people who assume I don't like Trump based on his campaign and what's happened since. No, it started in the 1980s. Basically from the minute I was aware he existed.

What I don't see -- and what I never shall see -- is how so many are so blinded by race hate, their eyes dim from following a shell game that fascinates them but which they can't quite figure, who then vote against their own economic self-interests and instead endorse tax breaks of billions to the already super rich, in, what -- in hope this will "trickle down" like rainwater into their parched pocket books, a theory discredited three-plus decades ago: wtf? Lost in their fears, content to blame the lower classes, unable to think critically, willfully ignorant, eyes fixed on differences, they have participated in the selling of the American dream and care not to know the purchaser.

I'm loving this forum so far. I've learned a ton! Mostly I learned there are so many people who don't really fall in on a specific side and it makes me wish we didn't have two decisive parties to align with. Ive learned we pretty much all want peace, love and acceptance though I'm there are several from both sides who don't though they say they do. Most of all I have loved hearing view points from people from other countries and how they view the US. It's sad, alarming and enlightening. I will always feel that our great nation is awesome overall!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVERYTHING I POST IS EITHER MY OPINION, MY EXPERIENCE OR MY BELIEF. MOOYAH

I'm glad for this forum.
    Jill can't find last year's taxes either.

Quote Originally Posted by SeesSeas View Post

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/for...-to-Politivent
    If I'm being brutally honest, I don't recall having changed my mind about anything during the two months of Politivent's existence---and I'm not open to the explanations of others who think differently than I. (Well, she wasn't kidding about being brutally honest, was she?)

It's just that I have lived a fairly decent number of years and have had time to know what I am about. The current administration runs counter to what I am about. A great polarity in one's country is not the best thing to have going on, but I see it as unavoidable at the present moment.

Do I hope to convince others to change their views? I would be delighted if I could, but realistically I believe that most persons who care enough to read in a political forum such as this one know what they are about, just as I do.

Being honest again, I believe why I read here extensively is to see how other liberals express their ideas. That is fascinating to me, and I admire the research and eloquence I see. I like to hit "thanks".

I am very grateful to Tricia and her team for permitting this forum to exist. I think it was a wonderful decision.
    Always remembering Liz ~

I'm glad for this forum and I appreciate the freedom we have here, and the expectation we'll be able to support our points or arguments or whatever. I like the general rules of respect as in the regular forum, and the explicit rules of no name calling and no conspiracy theories.

One thing I think is missing - explicit rules about homophobia and transphobia.