1261 users online (225 members and 1036 guests)  

Websleuths News

Bill Cosby -- Charged W/Aggravated Sexual Assault/Other Rape Allegations #6

Bill Cosby charged with sexual assault

December 30, 2015

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — Bill Cosby has been charged with sexual assault in relation to a 2004 accusation in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania.

Cosby, whose legacy as a comedian has been besmirched by multiple accusations of sexual assault, faces one felony charge of aggravated indecent assault.

Mistrial declared in Bill Cosby sex-assault trial

June 17, 2017

NORRISTOWN, Pa. — A Pennsylvania judge declared a mistrial Saturday after a jury was deadlocked on sexual-assault charges against Bill Cosby, the comic legend whose legacy as a promoter of wholesome values has been tarnished by a years-long sex and drugging scandal.

[...]

Afterward, the prosecutor, Montgomery County District Attorney Kevin Steele, announced in court that he will retry Cosby. Constand has already told him she is willing to testify again at a retrial. In the next 120 days, O’Neill will schedule a new trial to be held sometime in the next 12 months.

Previous Thread - Thread #5

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.3281953
    Bill Cosby is putting reports of a sex assault talking tour to bed.
    "The current propaganda that I am going to conduct a sexual assault tour is false,” Cosby insisted Tuesday. “Any further information about public plans will be given at the appropriate time."
    It was his own spokespeople who first mentioned the prospect of a series of sex assault town halls, telling an Alabama TV show that the man once known as “America’s Dad” wanted to speak to young people, athletes and married men about sexual assault.
    "Laws are changing. The statutes of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended. This is why people need to be educated on, a brush against the shoulder," spokeswoman Ebonee Benson said last week on "Good Day Alabama."

Quote Originally Posted by wendiesan View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/crim...icle-1.3281953
    Bill Cosby is putting reports of a sex assault talking tour to bed.
    "The current propaganda that I am going to conduct a sexual assault tour is false,” Cosby insisted Tuesday. “Any further information about public plans will be given at the appropriate time."
    It was his own spokespeople who first mentioned the prospect of a series of sex assault town halls, telling an Alabama TV show that the man once known as “America’s Dad” wanted to speak to young people, athletes and married men about sexual assault.
    "Laws are changing. The statutes of limitations for victims of sexual assault are being extended. This is why people need to be educated on, a brush against the shoulder," spokeswoman Ebonee Benson said last week on "Good Day Alabama."
    Cosby has become such a lame joke. SMH. It's clear that his own PR people put the "current propaganda" out there. I'd bet that his lawyers told him to cool the hubris and shut up. I believe he thinks a hung jury (one that was leaning towards guilty) means he was totally exonerated -- innocent as the day is long. NOT.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/30/a...conscious.html
    By GRAHAM BOWLEY and SOPHIE WODZAKJUNE 30, 2017

Less obvious was another point of contention that would entangle the jurors during their 52 hours of deliberations — the not-so-simple meaning of words.
    What is meant, the jurors asked, by the term “unconscious” in the law against aggravated indecent assault? Did that mean she had to be out cold during an assault, or simply incapable of giving consent?
    And when Judge Steven T. O’Neill said the panel might need to find Mr. Cosby’s behavior “reckless” to find him guilty, what exactly did he mean?

May have been linked to already, but for those of us in UK at least this prog on tonight: It is on "Lifetime" channel. I think it is available on youtube anyway and a few years old, but we are a bit behind on this side of the pond.

Bill Cosby: The Women Speak
    Sunday 9pm

Length 1 hour
    News & Documentaries, Features

First-hand accounts from more than a dozen women who have accused Bill Cosby of sexual assault shed new light on the downfall of one of America's most respected entertainers.
    Last edited by jessie; 08-06-2017 at 10:38 AM.
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure, and never simple - Oscar Wilde

There should be no statute of limitations on rape. Too many of Cosby's victims have been denied justice.

I read that retrial will be in November.

Bill Cosby retrial begins in November on charges he sexually assaulted woman
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ndrea-constand

Bill Cosby will be re-tried in November on charges he drugged and molested a woman more than a decade ago, after a Pennsylvania jury deadlocked on the question after deliberating for six days.
    Cosby, who turns 80 in July, was ordered Thursday to be ready for trial on 6(th of) November.....

~~Life isn't about waiting for the storms to pass... It's about learning to dance in the rain!~~
    ~~We are not human beings having a spiritual experience, we are spiritual beings having a human experience!~~
    ~~Veni, Vidi, Velcro! I came, I saw, I stuck around!~~

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Former Michael Jackson lawyer joins Cosby team
    Cosby facing retrial in November

By Stephen Anthony Sobek
    There’s been a change on Bill Cosby’s legal team before his November retrial on sexual assault charges.

The comedian has hired Michael Jackson’s former lawyer, Tom Mesereau, to lead a new defense team, The Associated Press reported Monday.

Mesereau won an acquittal for Jackson in his 2004 child molestation trial, the AP said...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/enter...ins-cosby-team

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Cosby retrial date set for April
    Assault charges subject of mistrial in June

(CNN) - Bill Cosby's retrial on aggravated indecent assault charges has been set to start April 2 in a suburban Philadelphia courtroom.

Montgomery County Judge Steven T. O'Neill set the date in an order issued Friday. The order said jury selection questions and jury instructions must be submitted to the judge by March 15.

The case centers on testimony from Andrea Constand, a former Temple University employee who accuses Cosby of drugging and assaulting her in January 2004. Cosby's attorneys argued that the sexual contact was consensual.

The famed comedian's trial on three counts of aggravated indecent assault ended in a mistrial in June. Jurors said they were deadlocked and could not come to a unanimous decision...

https://www.clickondetroit.com/enter...-set-for-april

Sadly, i think my instincts are right: Most white people can't empathise with Cosby's victims because they can't identify with them. For most white people to care, Cosby would had to have done something to one of his young co-stars on the Cosby Show.

Quote Originally Posted by paul1980 View Post
    Sadly, i think my instincts are right: Most white people can't empathise with Cosby's victims because they can't identify with them. For most white people to care, Cosby would had to have done something to one of his young co-stars on the Cosby Show.
    I think anyone who has experienced or observed workplace bullying and/or inappropriately used power in the workplace/other setting can empathize with these survivors.

JMHO YMMV LRR etc