901 users online (107 members and 794 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11
    Vic Hurley, an American author who was a member of the Philippine Constabulary, wrote the book Jungle Patrol in 1938, arguing that Colonel Alexander Rodgers of the 6th Cavalry Regiment (brother of Thomas S. Rodgers) had implemented the strategy of mass graves and pig entrails:[30][31]

It was Colonel Alexander Rodgers of the 6th Cavalry who accomplished by taking advantage of religious prejudice what the bayonets and Krags had been unable to accomplish. Rodgers inaugurated a system of burying all dead juramentados in a common grave with the carcasses of slaughtered pigs. The Mohammedan religion forbids contact with pork; and this relatively simple device resulted in the withdrawal of juramentados to sections not containing a Rodgers. Other officers took up the principle, adding new refinements to make it additionally unattractive to the Moros. In some sections the Moro juramentado was beheaded after death and the head sewn inside the carcass of a pig. And so the rite of running juramentado, at least semi-religious in character, ceased to be in Sulu. The last cases of this religious mania occurred in the early decades of the century. The juramentados were replaced by the amucks. .. who were simply homicidal maniacs with no religious significance attaching to their acts.
    This is from Wikipedia. The same quote from a book published in 1938.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juramentado

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    Yes, buried the dead with carcasses. Not nearly anything that Trump stated. Not committing what would be war crimes today. Not Pershing, in fact Pershing didn't want to do things that would encourage fanaticism. It is anecdotal that Pershing even sprinkled blood on soldiers. Not true, Not right.

We agree it was not a good idea to do that in the Philippines or to repeat a horrid story that had been seen as false as far back as 1938 as the actions were not murdering people and letting one go but rather burying people with carcasses which were not actions attributed to Pershing.
    I'm not sure that Pershing thought that burying Muslims with pigs would encourage fanaticism. He may have agreed with the actions of Colonel Alexander Rodgers.

Do we have any historical information that shows Pershing tried to stop the "system" that was used by Rodgers?

Quote Originally Posted by RANCH View Post
    Vic Hurley, an American author who was a member of the Philippine Constabulary, wrote the book Jungle Patrol in 1938, arguing that Colonel Alexander Rodgers of the 6th Cavalry Regiment (brother of Thomas S. Rodgers) had implemented the strategy of mass graves and pig entrails:[30][31]

This is from Wikipedia. The same quote from a book published in 1938.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juramentado
    Agreed. All after death according to the book. Not Pershing, according to the book.
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

I'm not sure that Pershing thought that burying Muslims with pigs would encourage fanaticism. He may have agreed with the actions of Colonel Alexander Rodgers.

Do we have any historical information that shows Pershing tried to stop the "system" that was used by Rodgers?

From Snopes:

The history of the American administration of the Philippines between the Spanish cession of the islands at the conclusion of the Spanish-American war in 1898 and the attainment of full political independence in 1946 (including American attempts to “pacify” various independence-minded groups through military means) is too long and complicated to explicate here. Suffice it to say that General John J. “Black Jack” Pershing was part of the process as Governor of the troublesome Moro Province between 1909 and 1913. We found no references to this alleged incident in Pershing biographies, however, nor does it match the way Pershing is generally recorded as having dealt with the Moros in 1911. When they refused to obey Pershing’s order banning firearms by surrendering their weapons, his response was to draft a letter to the Moros expressing sorrow that his soldiers had to resort to killing them to enforce the order:

I write you this letter because I am sorry to know that you and your people refuse to do what the government has ordered. You do not give up your arms. Soldiers were sent to Taglibi so that you could come into camp and turn in your guns. When the soldiers went to camp a Taglibi, your Moros fired into camp and tried to kill the soldiers. Then the soldiers had to shoot all Moros who fired upon them. When the soldiers marched through the country, the Moros again shot at them, so the soldiers had to kill several others. I am sorry the soldiers had to kill any Moros. All Moros are the same to me as my children and no father wants to kill his own children …

I will look for more evidence,
    Violence diminishes our humanity. ~Coretta Scott King

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    Yes. You seemed to have missed the false symbol at the start of the article and just went on to the articles that had been deemed false.
    It's not a false quote.

Quote Originally Posted by kaen View Post
    From Snopes:

The history of the American administration of the Philippines between the Spanish cession of the islands at the conclusion of the Spanish-American war in 1898 and the attainment of full political independence in 1946 (including American attempts to “pacify” various independence-minded groups through military means) is too long and complicated to explicate here. Suffice it to say that General John J. “Black Jack” Pershing was part of the process as Governor of the troublesome Moro Province between 1909 and 1913. We found no references to this alleged incident in Pershing biographies, however, nor does it match the way Pershing is generally recorded as having dealt with the Moros in 1911. When they refused to obey Pershing’s order banning firearms by surrendering their weapons, his response was to draft a letter to the Moros expressing sorrow that his soldiers had to resort to killing them to enforce the order:

I write you this letter because I am sorry to know that you and your people refuse to do what the government has ordered. You do not give up your arms. Soldiers were sent to Taglibi so that you could come into camp and turn in your guns. When the soldiers went to camp a Taglibi, your Moros fired into camp and tried to kill the soldiers. Then the soldiers had to shoot all Moros who fired upon them. When the soldiers marched through the country, the Moros again shot at them, so the soldiers had to kill several others. I am sorry the soldiers had to kill any Moros. All Moros are the same to me as my children and no father wants to kill his own children …

I will look for more evidence,
    Interesting letter by Pershing to his enemy's. "You are same as my children". But he had no problem killing them. What?

It wouldn't surprise me if he condoned burying them with dead pigs.

Thanks for the quote.

It's not a false quote.
    Is it, according to Snopes.

Nice to see you vlpate. Thanks for posting some enlightening thoughts and information.
    I screwed up...so unlike me! Lol
    My answer below - V.
    http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...9#post13603419

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer17 View Post
    Is it, according to Snopes.
    I got the quote from Snopes and found it on Wikipedia as well.

I think we may be having a communication problem.

Trump caught in huge lie when trying to explain why healthcare repeal failed

"He can't vote because he's in the hospital," Trump said, according to USA Today. "We have two other votes that are coming and we will have them, but the problem is we can't have them by Friday because reconciliation ends on Friday. So we'll have to do it in January or February."

Later, Trump told a Fox News reporter that a Republican senator was in the hospital. Trump was not corrected.
    "Thanks for the well-wishes. I'm not hospitalized, but am recuperating at home in Mississippi and look forward to returning to work soon," Cochran tweeted.
    Trump has not issued a correction statement or indicated that he may have misspoke.

Donald Trump's Pants on Fire claim about the estate tax, small businesses and farms

"To protect millions of small businesses and the American farmer, we are finally ending the crushing, the horrible, the unfair estate tax, or as it is often referred to, the death tax," Trump said in his Sept. 27 speech.

So how many estates are affected by the tax? Not many, and the people who pay it are usually among the country’s richest families.

That’s a ridiculously high estimate. Only 5,460 estates even pay the tax each year, according to a credible estimate, and of those, about 80 represented small businesses or farms. We rate the statement Pants on Fire.

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...estate-tax-sm/
    FACT: Only 19.41% of total US Citizens made the effort to place their vote for Trump, and he won. GET OUT AND VOTE!

Trump/Russia Timeline: http://billmoyers.com/story/trump-russia-timeline/

Puerto Rico Governor Instantly Fact-Checks Trump’s Lie About His ‘Amazing’ Relief Effort

Puerto Rico Gov. Ricardo Rosselló, who Donald Trump praised in early morning tweets on Saturday, instantly called out the president for spewing yet another false claim.

In comments to CNN, Rosselló fact-checked one of the many claims Trump made this morning about his response to Hurricane Maria.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11