GUILTY WA - James Garrett, 63, shot to death, Yakima, 27 Dec 2005

Liz

I am not a chemist and this is not my 1st rodeo
Reaction score
http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/285047825839436

A 16-year-old Yakima boy was jailed Wednesday night on suspicion of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a registered sex offender, Yakima police announced.

Capt. Jeff Schneider said detectives believe that the boy had rejected James Garrett's sexual advances shortly before the suspect shot him in the head Tuesday morning at Garrett's apartment in the 400 block of South 18th Avenue.

Schneider said Garrett, 53, was killed with his own single-shot rifle. The caliber was not released.

~>>> continued at link

Liz said:
http://www.yakima-herald.com/page/dis/285047825839436

A 16-year-old Yakima boy was jailed Wednesday night on suspicion of second-degree murder in the shooting death of a registered sex offender, Yakima police announced.

Capt. Jeff Schneider said detectives believe that the boy had rejected James Garrett's sexual advances shortly before the suspect shot him in the head Tuesday morning at Garrett's apartment in the 400 block of South 18th Avenue.

Schneider said Garrett, 53, was killed with his own single-shot rifle. The caliber was not released.

~>>> continued at link
okay, i dont want to clap at this but i am glad that the teen was not violated!!

michelle said:
okay, i dont want to clap at this but i am glad that the teen was not violated!!

I understand. I was wondering how many others the teen has saved from being violated. We'll never know.

It's like, should the teen be punished? or given an award?

It sounds like the teen may have rejected this perv's advances. But that is a lot of anger, for something where he could have just said no. I wonder if he had been victimized in the past- either by this perv or someone else.

mysteriew said:
It sounds like the teen may have rejected this perv's advances. But that is a lot of anger, for something where he could have just said no. I wonder if he had been victimized in the past- either by this perv or someone else.
Well, he might have rejected his most RECENT advance. I suspect this guy had been molesting this kid for some time. Victims are often unwilling to admit to a pattern of long-term abuse, since the molester will claim others will see it as "consent". Also, child molesters are incredibly good at picking out kids that have been molested before. It's as if they radiate some kind of wounded/damaged aura only these pervs can see.

why arrest him? A good defense attorney will get this teen "off" in a heartbeat. He said No- pervert wouldn't leave him alone- he grabs gun and shoots to protect himself. Any attorney worth his degree can raise this argument. And, most jurors will be totally repulsed by Mr Child Molestor!!!!

dr dona said:
why arrest him? A good defense attorney will get this teen "off" in a heartbeat. He said No- pervert wouldn't leave him alone- he grabs gun and shoots to protect himself. Any attorney worth his degree can raise this argument. And, most jurors will be totally repulsed by Mr Child Molestor!!!!

Well, I'd like to be able to agree with you, but this kid will do time. There are too many cases where the shooting was even more justified than this and there was jail time.

A lot of molesters aren't good at hearing "no" - I think self defense should work, and I think the teen deserves a reward for protecting the next kid from this obviously unrepentant predator.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Well, he might have rejected his most RECENT advance. I suspect this guy had been molesting this kid for some time. Victims are often unwilling to admit to a pattern of long-term abuse, since the molester will claim others will see it as "consent". Also, child molesters are incredibly good at picking out kids that have been molested before. It's as if they radiate some kind of wounded/damaged aura only these pervs can see.
My thoughts too.how often do you hear of an child or adult that has been assaulted by more than one person.I think this boy has already suffered at the perverts hands and just wanted it to stop.:(

aussiegran said:
My thoughts too.how often do you hear of an child or adult that has been assaulted by more than one person.I think this boy has already suffered at the perverts hands and just wanted it to stop.:(
How horrible....wtf was a 16 year old doing at this guys house to begin with? Where were his parents??

The age of consent in Washington is 16, as I understand it. So really, what the man did doesn't seem to be illegal - you can attempt to initiate sex with a sixteen year old there apparently if you want to. Then, if you get rejected you have to stop.

You can't just kill someone for attempting to initiate sex, that's murder.

I don't think this story is on the up and up, anyway. The details in the story don't seem right to me. Why was this young man there at 6 a.m. in the morning, and it's interesting he killed the older man after a witness discovered them.

I don't want to be seen as someone who is defending a sex offender - in this case, what he was doing was legal, it appears, and he got murdered.

KatherineQ said:
The age of consent in Washington is 16, as I understand it. So really, what the man did doesn't seem to be illegal - you can attempt to initiate sex with a sixteen year old there apparently if you want to. Then, if you get rejected you have to stop.

You can't just kill someone for attempting to initiate sex, that's murder.

I don't think this story is on the up and up, anyway. The details in the story don't seem right to me. Why was this young man there at 6 a.m. in the morning, and it's interesting he killed the older man after a witness discovered them.

I don't want to be seen as someone who is defending a sex offender - in this case, what he was doing was legal, it appears, and he got murdered.
Bear in mind that most states have TWO sets of "age of consent" laws. One for heteros, the other for homosexuals. The ones for homosexuals are usually higher.
Plus I think this kid's history with this perv went back to when he was considerably younger than 16.
So for what was this boy doing at his house at 6 am? Pedophiles are notorious for preying on children (especially boys) who have, shall we say, self-involved, less than vigilant, and/or over-taxed parents or guardians.

BillyGoatGruff said:
Bear in mind that most states have TWO sets of "age of consent" laws. One for heteros, the other for homosexuals. The ones for homosexuals are usually higher.
Plus I think this kid's history with this perv went back to when he was considerably younger than 16.
So for what was this boy doing at his house at 6 am? Pedophiles are notorious for preying on children (especially boys) who have, shall we say, self-involved, less than vigilant, and/or over-taxed parents or guardians.

Washington state doesn't appear to have different laws for heterosexual versus homsexual sex. In the eyes of the law, this was one adult initiating sex with another, and then the older man was murdered. I know a lot of people here feel sympathy for the 16 year old, but this one kind of ruffles my feathers. Just because a gay guy comes on to you, you can't murder him for it. In some states that's punished more heavily as a hate crime than other murders.

age of consent by state:

http://www.coolnurse.com/consent.htm

Firs off this was a known sex offender and secondly I don't care what the law says ....

The law is wrong if it states that a 16 year old is an adult.

Maybe if we are talking two 16 YO's but not someone over the age of 20 and a 16 YO.

I understand what your saying Katherine.. Legally speaking... But I am saying that law is wrong. Because I could careless what the law says if some 50 year old hit on my 16 YO daughter??
He would need some serious help by the time I finnished.

The problem is society for too long permitted sick things like 13 YO's to get married to old men. Or the notion that children were merely possessions.
The laws have not come close to catching up the with predominent views of todays society.

Amraan - I understand what you are saying, but I keep thinking of my own son.

If a 50 year old man came on to him, I believe firmly in my heart he would rebuff the man, and walk out, and leave, and that would be that, and hopefully he would tell us. But maybe he'd be too embarrassed to admit it and would instead never return to that man's house. I would be mortified if my son got a gun and killed a man who initiated an interest in sex and then backed off when he was rejected. I don't want a boy like that - who would kill someone over a misunderstood homosexual advance. I wouldn't ever trust a boy like that ever ever again, and would fear he would kill other people over embarrassing misunderstandings. I'm not the least bit sad this boy is charged with second degree murder, and a jury can give this a really close look and decide what is right.

My 16 year old can drive, and is often out in the world by himself. If a man comes on to him, and my son rebuffs the advance, and the man takes no for an answer, I think murder is out of the question as a response.

Linda7NJ said:
Give that kid a medal!

Linda - after he's given a medal, do you want him in your home with your kids?

Really, think about this. If you say yes I want him in my family, I don't understand that. I don't want him in my neighborhood, or my community.

I think he belongs under very close supervision, maybe in Juvy, or perhaps in prison.

here's a question: if a woman is being approached by a man who says he is going to rape her, or he is starting to assault her, and she shoots him, would she be arrested?

everyone knows that a very large percantage of rapists end up murdering their victim.

does anyone know, legally, what would happen in such a case?
because, it should work the same if we are talking about 2 men. however, it IS his word against his... if there were no witnesses, which i'm assuming there wasn't. which is why they had to arrest him, i guess- just to be on the safe side.

(sorry- PERCENTAGE... i can spell, just didn't proofread!)

This is one of the few cases in which I am interested in the defense statements. Did the guy try to initiate sex then back off? Or did he try to press the issue? Or has it been an ongoing relationship where the boy had been abused over a period of time, and finally had enough? Or had the teen been abused by someone else, and so was brought to rage over previous problems? Or is it a case of a homophobic teen, just shocked at being approached by a man?
All of the information is not out yet, the issues aren't real clear. So I will be interested in the defense point of view.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Biff
Back