985 users online (146 members and 839 guests)  

Websleuths News

2017.06.29 - House passes Kate's Law

House passes 'Kate's Law' and bill declaring war on sanctuary cities

By Tal Kopan, CNN

Updated 6:30 PM ET, Thu June 29, 2017

Washington (CNN)House Republicans joined President Donald Trump on Thursday afternoon in declaring war on sanctuary cities -- passing legislation targeting the cities' funding while hammering a message of the dangers posed by undocumented immigrants.

"Kate's Law" is named for Kate Steinle, a young woman murdered on a busy walkway in San Francisco two years ago allegedly by an undocumented immigrant who was deported multiple times. It would increase maximum penalties for undocumented immigrants who repeatedly enter the country illegally after deportation, especially with criminal records. It passed 257-167.

The "No Sanctuary for Criminals Act" would expand what is required of cities regarding federal immigrant enforcement and allow the government to deny jurisdictions federal law enforcement funds if they don't comply. It passed 228-195.

cont. at the link

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/29/politics/kates-law-sanctuary-cities-house-bill-immigration/index.html

Jun 29 2017, 6:49 pm ET
    House Passes ‘Kate’s Law,’ Votes to ****** Sanctuary Cities

by Dartunorro Clark

The House passed two bills Thursday to boost President Donald Trump’s immigration crackdown.

The bills — "Kate’s Law" and the "No Sanctuary for Criminals Act" — would up the penalties on undocumented immigrants who attempt to reenter the country illegally after being deported for crimes and slash funds from cities that protect them.

Kate's Law passed 257-167, largely along party lines, in the GOP-controlled House. Trump, who made immigration a key focus during the campaign and in his administration, celebrated its passage.

Under the legislation, an undocumented immigrant previously convicted of a crime who attempts to re-enter the country could face between 10 and 25 years in prison

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/immi...ckdown-n778141

#kateslaw
    Last edited by bessie; 06-29-2017 at 08:00 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

The story behind ‘Kate’s Law’ — and how it could change immigration policies in the U.S.
    By Kristine Phillips June 29 at 5:45 PM

Jim Steinle testifies before the Senate Judiciary Committee on his daughter's murder
    Jim Steinle testified before the Senate Judiciary Committee on July 21, 2015 about his daughter's death, which initiated a debate about sanctuary cities. (Committee on the Judiciary)

Kathryn Steinle was walking with her father one July evening at one of San Francisco’s most popular tourist spots when suddenly, they heard a gunshot.

Steinle fell to the ground. She looked at her father and said, “Help me, Dad.”

Those would be her last words, her father later said during testimony in front of the Senate Judiciary Committee. The bullet had pierced the 32-year-old’s aorta. She would die two hours later at San Francisco General Hospital.

Her killer, authorities say, was Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez, a Mexican national with seven felony convictions and who had been deported five times but had returned to the United States.

Around the time of Steinle’s killing, Lopez-Sanchez had just finished a nearly four-year federal prison sentence for illegally reentering the country. He was turned over to San Francisco law enforcement officials because of an outstanding warrant for a marijuana-related charge that was immediately dismissed. Local authorities later released him, despite a request from federal immigration officials to keep him in custody because of his undocumented status, according to a wrongful-death lawsuit filed by Steinle’s family.

Less than three months later, authorities say, Lopez-Sanchez stole a .40-caliber pistol from the unlocked car of a U.S. Bureau of Land Management ranger, and shot Steinle at Pier 14 along the Embarcadero.

The July 1, 2015, killing of the woman, allegedly at the hands of a man who wasn’t supposed to be in the country, intensified an already volatile debate over immigration and sanctuary cities — localities that refuse to hand over immigrants for deportation to federal officials. Her death was — and continues to be — a major policy weapon for politicians seeking tougher immigration policies.

On Thursday, just two days before the second-year anniversary of Steinle’s shooting, the House of Representatives passed a bill known as “Kate’s Law,” which would enhance penalties for convicted and deported criminals who reenter the United States illegally. It was first introduced in 2015, but it failed to advance in the Senate.

much more at the link

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f75ed8f40ae9
    Last edited by bessie; 06-29-2017 at 08:01 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Absolutely astonishing that 167 lawmakers actually had the virtual balls to vote against this.

This is as close to a slam dunk bipartisan agreement issue as anyone could envision, and yet, 167 were so obstructionist, partisan, and obstinate as to actually vote no. I'm dumbfounded. I guess they don't want to be re-elected, and they want the GOP to continue to hold the HOR. (One GOP rep voted no, but 24 Democrats were able to vote yes.)

The democrats need to pick up 24 seats in the HOR in the 2018 midterms. The electorate has a very long memory about prominent issues. This vote, IMO, will not help moderates and independents see "no" voters as "reasonable" politicians.

A democratic rep in my state is one of the 24 democrats who voted yes. This will certainly help his re-election bid, IMO.

This is the kind of thing we should not need lawmakers to waste their time making a law for. But because of extremely dangerous and absurd policies in liberal cities, here we are.

IMO, the 167 lawmakers who voted "no" on this law said loud and clear that they *support* criminal illegal aliens over American citizens, and established laws.

FIVE times Sanchez was put through the immigration justice system. Five times he had an order of deportation. Five times he was deported, and he had at least SEVEN felonies. And yet he came back AGAIN, and this time killed Kate Steinle, because 2 agencies couldn't figure out how to hold him, so they let him GO to roam the streets!

And still there are such deeply misguided bleeding hearts that think he, and others like him, should somehow be allowed and encouraged to roam freely in the streets of America?? To continue to commit more crimes, and kill Americans? I'm incredulous every time I think about this case. A first grader could figure this out.

How could ANY voter, or ANY lawmaker, of ANY political persuasion, think that is ok?

IMO, this is one very critical vote that will likely keep the HOR in GOP hands after the 2018 midterms.

This is going to easily pass the Senate and be signed by POTUS DJT. And for those that hate Trump, they'd be wise to note that this is another campaign promise fulfilled. If Trump keeps up this pace, fulfilling campaign promises, he WILL be re-elected in 2020. All this media focus on his silly, insulting, and demeaning tweets will means absolutely nothing when actual voters in all states and territories go to the voting booths in 2020, and they remember all of the campaign promises he ACTUALLY fulfilled. (The electoral college, to the dismay of coastal democrats, isn't going to disappear before 2020.)

Final roll call votes for Kate's Law in HOR. Look up your rep to see how he or she voted.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll344.xml

Quote Originally Posted by K_Z View Post
    Final roll call votes for Kate's Law in HOR. Look up your rep to see how he or she voted.

http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2017/roll344.xml
    Wow! I didn't even have to think twice I knew my reps voted the correct way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    EVERYTHING I POST IS EITHER MY OPINION, MY EXPERIENCE OR MY BELIEF. MOOYAH

Quote Originally Posted by MIKAYOYO View Post
    Wow! I didn't even have to think twice I knew my reps voted the correct way!

And yes I quote myself. But I'm so disgusted so many voted no but on the other hand I'm disgusted when my rep votes for bathroom bills and cuts to planned parenthood. I choose humanity!!

EVERYTHING I POST IS EITHER MY OPINION, MY EXPERIENCE OR MY BELIEF. MOOYAH

While yes it seems like a slam dunk type of law let's take a step back a moment. I thank you for posting this issue esp one that up set you because there were so many no's. I see both sides of the isle had yes and no votes. If you had given us the actual text of the bill I'm sure we could see reasons for the nos. Also there are some issues with attachments. There are some who feel this is another law that is on top of laws that deal with this issue already and could've been crafted much better and yet it wasn't. With what little I know and what little has been posted here I agree it should be a no brainier. However there are reasons. Also I don't believe that this will be the only reason someone votes in 2018 one way or another. ☮️ ☮️ ☮️

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk