785 users online (142 members and 643 guests)  


Websleuths News


Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 34
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,389

    Psychics and Skeptics

    Last night's Larry King show had Sylvia Browne and James Praagh (sp) on. Interesting discussion with some pertinent questions being asked.

    Can psychics really help with crime cases? I can't say I'd be receptive to that kind of stuff. I've had one experience with a "speywife" as we call them here. It was many years ago and a close friend had just died. I went with another friend and she was amazingly accurate in both our readings. We both agreed to give her no clues as we were warned that we would end up providing the information for her. We also tried to trick her. I was working at the time and my friend was at uni but I dressed like a student with beads and cheesecloth and my friend wore a blue business suit - yet she spoke about my work and told my friend that she would pass her exams! I also remained virtually silent throughout my reading. She predicted my husband (whom I hadn't met at that point), my bereavement (she mentioned my dead friend as I walked into the room and before I'd even sat down!), my future career u-turn, my older two children (she said I'd have two children within the next ten years), she also said that all my family members would still be with me in ten years time (they were).... She gave me a lot of comfort but I still vowed never to see another speywife or to have my fortune told ever again.

    Anyway, some people believe that these people are just good readers of people and body language. Others swear by their gift.

    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...28/lkl.01.html

    On another forum, a poster called Beth gave links to the James Randi website and his $million challenge. I read some of the challengers and found it fascinating BUT I have to say that I find Kramer a little abrasive and wonder if the JREF deliberately try to put some applicants off by muddying the waters at the protocol agreement stage. I read the threads very carefully and there are definitely instancies where the goalposts are moved a little by JREF and when this is challenged by the applicants, THEY are accused of being difficult!

    Comments?
    This is only my opinion

    Let the focus be on Madeleine




    Together we can make a difference





    Alert Viewer in Scotland

    Member of Websleuths since April 2000

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,908
    i seen her on LK last night but i didnt watch it, i used to like slyvia and think maybe she was right on some stuff, but then i started hearing stuff about her that shes a fake ect....I dont know, being raised in a strong christian family i was always taught to stay away and that these people are evil, but i know for myself i have had tons of dreams that have come true about things and that has convinced me that i think some people may be more sensitive to spiritual things, not that they are any better because i dont think that...but i think that its a gift from God and if it can help solve a murder case, go for it...I for one love the show Medium.....

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,670
    Very interesting post about your encounter with a 'speywife', Jayelles.

    Therefore I'm curious: does there exist any murder case in which a psychic played a pivotal role when it came to finding the killer?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by rashomon
    Very interesting post about your encounter with a 'speywife', Jayelles.

    Therefore I'm curious: does there exist any murder case in which a psychic played a pivotal role when it came to finding the killer?

    rashomon,

    There appears to be numerous true cases, almost all of them involving murder, that were solved with the help of psychics on Court TV's "Psychic Detectives. It airs on Wednesdays at 10:00 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,670
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    rashomon,

    There appears to be numerous true cases, almost all of them involving murder, that were solved with the help of psychics on Court TV's "Psychic Detectives. It airs on Wednesdays at 10:00 PM.
    But then why (I'm from Germany and can't watch these shows) hasn't any of these psychics come forward to help in a high-profile case like the JonBenet case?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,970
    I also watched LKL last night.
    It was about unsolved crimes.The panel was Mark Gergoes ( I know I mispelled his last name,he's the lawyer from the Scott Peterson trial),our buddy Henry Lee,and a few other lawyers and pathologists,which names I didn't catch.They all agreed that they believe the murder of JBR will never be solved,for all the usual said reasons.The crime scene was too contaminated,and too much time has passed.They believe the medical examiner was correct in his examination on how JBR died,they don't beleive there will ever be a conclusion of who did it.

    So,the buck stops here I guess,no one is even trying,no one has been trying for a long,long time.

    But,when the tenth anniversary comes up this year,every one and their brother will be coming out of the woodwork,to write books,and appear on tv to make a buck.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by capps
    I also watched LKL last night.
    It was about unsolved crimes.The panel was Mark Gergoes ( I know I mispelled his last name,he's the lawyer from the Scott Peterson trial),our buddy Henry Lee,and a few other lawyers and pathologists,which names I didn't catch.They all agreed that they believe the murder of JBR will never be solved,for all the usual said reasons.The crime scene was too contaminated,and too much time has passed.They believe the medical examiner was correct in his examination on how JBR died,they don't beleive there will ever be a conclusion of who did it.

    So,the buck stops here I guess,no one is even trying,no one has been trying for a long,long time.

    But,when the tenth anniversary comes up this year,every one and their brother will be coming out of the woodwork,to write books,and appear on tv to make a buck.

    capps,

    Maybe the reason the Ramsey case has never been "solved" is because it has already been solved. If children were involved in this murder then we'll never know the truth. The Colorado Children's Code will protect the identity of the young killers.

    UNLESS the court has slapped a 30-year gag order on the evidence, the grand jury's findings, and the identity of the perp -- and when someone turns 40 he'll be established and able to psychologically handle the release of the information. Hmmm. Just 21 years to wait.

    BlueCrab

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    capps,

    Maybe the reason the Ramsey case has never been "solved" is because it has already been solved. If children were involved in this murder then we'll never know the truth. The Colorado Children's Code will protect the identity of the young killers.

    UNLESS the court has slapped a 30-year gag order on the evidence, the grand jury's findings, and the identity of the perp -- and when someone turns 40 he'll be established and able to psychologically handle the release of the information. Hmmm. Just 21 years to wait.

    BlueCrab
    BC, I just find it hard to believe that in a case this well-known, and with the interest the press and the public have had, that no one has ever leaked this information. I just can't see this staying secret, if your theory is correct.

    Part of me would like you to be right, then the only thing the Rs are guilty of is a coverup (setting aside their distasteful behavior of pointing fingers at others), and the only person who has gotten away with murder is kid, who should probably have a chance at a normal life...

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by sandraladeda
    BC, I just find it hard to believe that in a case this well-known, and with the interest the press and the public have had, that no one has ever leaked this information. I just can't see this staying secret, if your theory is correct.

    Part of me would like you to be right, then the only thing the Rs are guilty of is a coverup (setting aside their distasteful behavior of pointing fingers at others), and the only person who has gotten away with murder is kid, who should probably have a chance at a normal life...

    sandraladeda,

    I respectfully disagree that huge secrets can't be kept.

    If my BDI theory is close to being right, then a lot of insiders likely know the truth -- but who's gonna step up to the plate and go to jail, get heavily fined, lose any professional licenses, and become unemployed, for publicly tattling and violating the court order? And who's gonna print it and receive the same treatment? IMO no one.

    As far as keeping secrets, here's a good example: During world war II the nation launched the giant Manhattan Project and built the atomic bomb in complete secrecy. The thousands of employees across the country didn't even know what they were working on.

    Secrets can be successfully kept.

    BlueCrab

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    10,387
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueCrab
    rashomon,

    There appears to be numerous true cases, almost all of them involving murder, that were solved with the help of psychics on Court TV's "Psychic Detectives. It airs on Wednesdays at 10:00 PM.
    I found this website interesting:

    http://www.courttv.com/onair/shows/p...tives/pop.html


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    30,906
    I found this


    http://www.everetthealthcare.com/ce-crime.htm

    I don't believe in psychics .....but you may be interested, this lady drew a picture of the murderer. Scroll down and click on Ramsey Case.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Posts
    3,053
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda7NJ
    I found this


    http://www.everetthealthcare.com/ce-crime.htm

    I don't believe in psychics .....but you may be interested, this lady drew a picture of the murderer. Scroll down and click on Ramsey Case.

    Linda7NJ,

    I don't believe in supernatural things, but psychic detectives sure interest the hell out of me.

    Carol Everett, the psychic in the UK, said that JonBenet's killer wore a uniform of some kind, but not a military uniform (she sketched him in your link above). I wonder if Brian Scott, the Ramseys gardner, wore a uniform.

    BlueCrab

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Palm Springs
    Posts
    19,111
    Quote Originally Posted by sandraladeda
    BC, I just find it hard to believe that in a case this well-known, and with the interest the press and the public have had, that no one has ever leaked this information. I just can't see this staying secret, if your theory is correct.

    Part of me would like you to be right, then the only thing the Rs are guilty of is a coverup (setting aside their distasteful behavior of pointing fingers at others), and the only person who has gotten away with murder is kid, who should probably have a chance at a normal life...
    I could not agree more. This is not to say BC's theory is impossible; but if it were known to be true to anyone other than the immediate families, it would have been leaked to the press by now.

    BC, I'm not sure how secret the Manhattan Project was; I'll take your word that nobody knew about it outside those allowed to know. But that Project was developed during a time of national consensus that secrecy was a matter of life and death. ("Loose lips sink ships!")

    You can't really compare that to the Ramsey case, which unfolded in the opposite climate, one in which everyone in the country wanted the truth revealed.

    What's more, if juveniles killed JBR and this were known to officials investigating the case, you would have a wide variety of opinions re the reasonableness of Colorado law on the subject. Some of those who are outraged at a law that shields juvenile perps would have found a way to get the word out, I absolutely believe. Juvenile shield laws are far from perfect.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    NSW Australia
    Posts
    9,182
    Quote Originally Posted by michelle
    i seen her on LK last night but i didnt watch it, i used to like slyvia and think maybe she was right on some stuff, but then i started hearing stuff about her that shes a fake ect....I dont know, being raised in a strong christian family i was always taught to stay away and that these people are evil, but i know for myself i have had tons of dreams that have come true about things and that has convinced me that i think some people may be more sensitive to spiritual things, not that they are any better because i dont think that...but i think that its a gift from God and if it can help solve a murder case, go for it...I for one love the show Medium.....
    I haven't managed to catch the show Medium but[some time ago]visited the Alison Dubois (?) website to see if she had an email address after reading an article in a magazine about her.
    She seems pretty gifted and I wondered if she could help solve this case.
    There was no email address and I couldn't think of any other way to contact her.
    Living in America, there's no way she hasn't heard of JonBenet...so I conclude she has no answers.
    Pity.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,908
    Quote Originally Posted by narlacat
    I haven't managed to catch the show Medium but[some time ago]visited the Alison Dubois (?) website to see if she had an email address after reading an article in a magazine about her.
    She seems pretty gifted and I wondered if she could help solve this case.
    There was no email address and I couldn't think of any other way to contact her.
    Living in America, there's no way she hasn't heard of JonBenet...so I conclude she has no answers.
    Pity.
    I watch Medium every monday i never miss it, i am extremely interested in people who have dreams that come true, or even if they are given a sign in a dream, i think it is a God given gift.....I have never personally been to a "psych" i think alot of them are full of it....JMO

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast