805 users online (107 members and 698 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

2017.06.30 - Trump request voter data; LA Undecided

Louisiana undecided on voter data request from Trump panel

Associated PresJune 30, 2017
    WWLTV

BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) - Louisiana hasn't decided how it will respond to a request from President Donald Trump's voting commission seeking voter identification information. Secretary of State Tom Schedler's office said it is reviewing the commission's letter asking for names, birth dates, addresses, party affiliation, voting history and partial Social Security numbers for all voters if available. Some states have refused to comply, citing privacy concerns. Schedler spokeswoman Meg Casper Sunstrom said Louisiana law prohibits the release of Social Security numbers.

More at the link

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...uest-from-tru/

http://www.cnn.com/2017/06/30/politics/kris-kobach-voter-commission-rolls/index.html

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bessie; 07-01-2017 at 12:50 PM.
    PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Politics
    Jul 1 2017, 9:54 am ET
    Backlash at Trump Commission Request for ‘Confidential’ Voter Data

by Dartunorro Clark

The White House faced a growing revolt Friday as nearly half of the states refused to comply with a request from President Donald Trump's panel investigating alleged voter fraud to hand over substantial amounts of confidential and sensitive voter data.

The Presidential Commission on Voter Integrity sent what some experts called an alarming letter this week to all 50 states and Washington, D.C., asking officials, including those in the home states of the panel's chairs, to turn over "publicly-available voter roll data."

However, the panel is also seeking sensitive information, including "dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, voter history (elections voted in) from 2006 onward, active/inactive status, cancelled status, information regarding any felony convictions, information regarding voter registration in another state, information regarding military status, and overseas citizen information."

The panel gave states two weeks to comply and said it would share the data with the public. The letter requests feedback from states with a series of questions, including citing instances of voter fraud, which experts have concluded is extremely rare.

More at the link

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...r-data-n778661

PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

Trump’s voting commission asked states to hand over election data. Some are pushing back.

[...]

Those worries intensified this week after the commission sent letters to 50 states and the District on Wednesday asking for a trove of information, including names, dates of birth, voting histories and, if possible, party identifications. The letters also asked for evidence of voter fraud, convictions for election-related crimes and recommendations for preventing voter intimidation — all within 16 days.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...=.ce73bb7bb678

PODCAST ROW

WEBSLEUTHS ON FACEBOOK

WhOA. There can be no good reason for requesting this information, IMHO.

Great. Trump would probably leak it to the russians. I hope the states ignore this request. Of course his supporters will think it is ok. they love everything this man does.

Quote Originally Posted by Tawny View Post
    WhOA. There can be no good reason for requesting this information, IMHO.
    It is so extremely wrong.Sometimes I think that many Americans are like the frog that is slowing boiled to death, never perceiving the danger.

I wouldn't trust my pet's ss#s with a confirmed con. What does Don the Con want to do with info? Request lines of credit from Moscow? No takers here!

BTW, we have another thread going on this..

Mississippi's Secretary of State, Delbert Hosemann, a Republican, said in an official statement that his reply to the commission would be "they can go jump in the Gulf of Mexico and Mississippi is a great state to launch from".

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40469272

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    Michigan SOS limits voter data provided to Trump panel

Jonathan Oosting, Detroit News Lansing Bureau Published 2:41 p.m. ET July 3, 2017

Lansing – Michigan will provide publicly available voter data to President Donald Trump’s Commission on Election Integrity but will “certainly not go beyond what is legally required” by providing any protected personal information, according to Secretary of State Ruth Johnson’s office.

Michigan will treat the request from the Trump commission “just like any other Freedom of Information Act request,” department spokesman Fred Woodhams said Monday, noting the state will charge $23 for the data, just as it does for “routine” requests by political parties, candidates and news organizations.

But Woodhams said the state will not provide the last four digits of voter Social Security numbers, birth dates or drivers’ license numbers, as requested in a recent letter from Commission Vice Chair Kris Kobach, the Republican secretary of state in Kansas. The letter indicated the request applied only to information “publicly available under the laws of your state.” ...

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/new...gan/103395200/

I'm happy to hear that my state will not divulge private voter registration information. I don't know about other states, but MI's voter registration includes (optional) personal information like education level and party affiliation, and required information like SS#, Driver's License#, etc. and should not be available for national/international retrieval.
    Last edited by BetteDavisEyes; 07-03-2017 at 04:49 PM.

Louisiana won't give Donald Trump commission voter information

http://www.nola.com/politics/index.s..._fraud_re.html

Louisiana Secretary of State Tom Schedler said Monday (July 3) he won't freely give voter information to President Donald Trump's election integrity commission. Some of the requested data is publicly available, but if the commission wants it, the panel must buy it like political parties do.

"I denied the Obama Justice Department's request, and I'm denying President Trump's commission's request because they are both politically motivated," Schedler said. "This commission needs to understand clearly, disclosure of such sensitive information is more likely to diminish voter participation rather than foster it. I have been fighting this kind of federal intrusion and overreach and will continue to fight like hell for the people who trust me with the integrity of our election process," he said.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/three-mor...225809013.html

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Maryland, Delaware and Louisiana on Monday joined a growing number of U.S. states that have refused to hand over voter data to a commission established by President Donald Trump to investigate possible voting fraud.

More than 20 states, including Virginia, Kentucky, California, New York and Massachusetts, have declined to provide some or all of the information that the panel requested, saying it was unnecessary and violated privacy.

Good on them!

BetteDavisEyes is offline "Fasten your seatbelts. It's going to be a bumpy night."
    DH and I both registered for absentee ballot status when we turned 60 and haven't voted in person for 8/7 years, respectively. In-person voters must show photo ID (MI driver's license or MI state ID) or voter registration card with address matching up with voter data at the precinct. I suppose it's possible to election workers at some precincts aren't effectively screening every voter, but I doubt voter irregularities happen frequently.

If the WH gains access to voter registration information, what other personal information might we need to surrender in the future? I think Trump is determined to somehow prove that HC didn't win the popular vote because it's a major bruise to his ego. Sad, really.

Quote Originally Posted by BetteDavisEyes View Post
    DH and I both registered for absentee ballot status when we turned 60 and haven't voted in person for 8/7 years, respectively. In-person voters must show photo ID (MI driver's license or MI state ID) or voter registration card with address matching up with voter data at the precinct. I suppose it's possible to election workers at some precincts aren't effectively screening every voter, but I doubt voter irregularities happen frequently.

If the WH gains access to voter registration information, what other personal information might we need to surrender in the future? I think Trump is determined to somehow prove that HC didn't win the popular vote because it's a major bruise to his ego. Sad, really.
    You are probably right, but I think that he has more sinister reasons as well. I think that he plans to control the outcome of the next election.

Jul 5 2017, 5:33 pm ET

Forty-four States Refuse to Give Voter Data to Trump Panel

by Dartunorro Clark

Forty-four states and the District of Columbia are mounting a bipartisan rebellion against President Donald Trump’s commission on vote fraud by either declining to release any of the requested data or by providing only limited information to the panel.

The Presidential Advisory Commission on Voter Integrity's request for extensive personal information about voters has ignited a firestorm in many states, including from both Republican and Democrat officials who oversee elections.

The panel is seeking "dates of birth, political party (if recorded in your state), last four digits of social security number if available, voter history (elections voted in) from 2006 onward, active/inactive status, cancelled status, information regarding any felony convictions, information regarding voter registration in another state, information regarding military status, and overseas citizen information."

Nineteen states — both red and blue — are flat-out refusing to comply with the request, citing privacy concerns and some claiming the 15-member vote fraud panel is politically-motivated...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...-panel-n779841

Jul 14 2017, 2:17 pm ET

‘You Are Evil’: Voters Blast Trump Election Fraud Panel

by Dartunorro Clark

Voters across the country slammed President Donald Trump’s commission on voter fraud in public comments sent to the panel — calling it a “a sham,” “evil” and “vile” for requesting mountains of personal data from all 50 states and the District of Columbia.

The Presidential Advisory Commission on Election Integrity's request for extensive information about voters ignited a bipartisan firestorm from officials who oversee elections. So far, 48 states are not fully complying with the panel’s request, according to an NBC News count.

Many officials and watchdogs have expressed disbelief and outrage at the request — some info is confidential or sensitive, they say — and the public comment request from the commission ahead of its first meeting next week was a chance for voters to weigh in...

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/whit...-panel-n783056

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast