800 users online (100 members and 700 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

"I'm sick of Police haters"

Texas police chief lashes out after cop is killed: 'I'm sick of police haters'

The day after one of his police officers died from injuries he sustained in a shootout, San Antonio Police Chief William McManus said he was “angry” at all the hostility directed toward cops.

"I'm angry at the police haters, I'm sick of the police haters," McManus said. "We protect them. We defend them. And they give us a big F U. And I'm sick of it."

His comments were made Saturday during a monthly meeting with the community, the San Antonio Express-News reported. They came following the death of Police Office Miguel Moreno, who was shot while investigating a vehicle break-in.

SAPD Chief William McManus: 'I'm angry at the police haters'

"He's got a good heart," Ornelaz said. "You can hear it when he speaks (like) the other day when I heard him, you can hear that he worries about every single police officer that goes out, and prays that they come back the same shift to their families."

*sees shiny jig, nibbles the bait*

I can understand the frustration. I myself am extremely saddened by violent crime committed against anyone for any reason. What Chief McManus needs to keep in mind, however, is that at least part of the reason there is so much "police hate" running around right now is because there has been so much police brutality, police violence, and officer involved shootings of citizens not involved in crime. People are outraged that police officers are rarely held accountable and that they tend to literally get away with murder in a lot of cases. These are supposed to be highly trained, professional peace officers.

This isn't to say it's OK to harm police officers. Obviously it is not at all commendable nor acceptable. However, if police departments as a whole want to help prevent senseless violence, they need to start within their own ranks. No more Philando Castiles, No more Eric Garners, No more Tamir Rices. No more shoot first ask questions later when there are other options available. All, JMO.
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

"gangs"

Why is this in Politivent instead of crimes in the news? What topic are you hoping to discuss?
    Silence means security, silence means approval.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    Why is this in Politivent instead of crimes in the news? What topic are you hoping to discuss?
    I put it on Politivent because it's a controversial topic. It's also something Trump campaigned on. I agree with Tawny that part of the problem is that there are some bad cops out there and it reflects badly on the good ones.

Blue I've read some very angry comments from you about cops who in your opinion were out of line but I've also read at times when you were angry about a cop being killed or worried whether a cop would survive an ambush. Sooo I hoped we could find some common ground here.

Quote Originally Posted by Tillicum View Post
    I put it on Politivent because it's a controversial topic. It's also something Trump campaigned on. I agree with Tawny that part of the problem is that there are some bad cops out there and it reflects badly on the good ones.

Blue I've read some very angry comments from you about cops who in your opinion were out of line but I've also read at times when you were angry about a cop being killed or worried whether a cop would survive an ambush. Sooo I hoped we could find some common ground here.
    It's a broad topic - I'm sure we can find common ground. But I wasn't sure if you were just using this quote to start a general conversation, or if you wanted to discuss the specific situation. Just curious what you had in mind when you started the thread.

The thing about his "I'm sick of police haters" is it was such a raw moment for him, I think. Anger, grief, frustration - all in one sentence. So I can understand it but I've seen people use statements like his to say if you are critical of the police you're a cop hater. You're anti-LE. Whatever. Like so many other things everything doesn't have to be so extreme.
    Silence means security, silence means approval.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    It's a broad topic - I'm sure we can find common ground. But I wasn't sure if you were just using this quote to start a general conversation, or if you wanted to discuss the specific situation. Just curious what you had in mind when you started the thread.

The thing about his "I'm sick of police haters" is it was such a raw moment for him, I think. Anger, grief, frustration - all in one sentence. So I can understand it but I've seen people use statements like his to say if you are critical of the police you're a cop hater. You're anti-LE. Whatever. Like so many other things everything doesn't have to be so extreme.
    See this is what I hope we can do. Separate those critical of police actions from police haters. Look at ways to improve law enforcement behavior and how to get the public to see that not all LE are bad.

Did you know that Trump signed legislation in June to fund training veterans for LE jobs?

One of the measures allows a popular Department of Justice grant program — used to expand the size of local police forces — to hire and train veterans. The other measure would streamline the process by which families of officers killed or permanently disabled in the line of duty can receive financial support.
    http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...602-story.html

I look at this issue through a trauma lens from both perspectives. In many cases, the increased violence toward Police officers comes from feeling unsafe and traumatized by negative experiences. Likewise, I think often the perceived unfair treatment by police is often driven out of fear and trauma stemming from deep unintentional and systemic stereotypes and racism.

My mom retired as a civilian with the state police after 30 years of service. I work daily with law enforcement in investigations of child abuse. I personally know several people in LE and they have my utmost respect. They are good people.

I think that most people on both sides of this are good. I think it is important that we understand what is driving the behavior on both sides to begin to discuss resolution. It is a lot more than just "hating police" and "hating blacks" etc. People are afraid and brains are kicking into survival fight flight freeze mode. The solution involves reducing the fear.

I love seeing law enforcement engage with youth and get to know the community outside of enforcing authority. I think this is one of the first steps.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2cam View Post

I love seeing law enforcement engage with youth and get to know the community outside of enforcing authority. I think this is one of the first steps.

RSBM I feel the same. I think way more involvement in their communities is what is needed so that both sides can build strong bridges and bonds. It would be very challenging and difficult at first but so worth it imo

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

"gangs"

We need more cops like former Police Chief David Brown. One of my heroes. Excellent interview here.

Former Dallas Police Chief David Brown Reflects on Life, Loss

Brown, a straight-A student, was voted "most likely to succeed" at South Oak Cliff High School. Then he went to the University of Texas at Austin but says he left early to become a police officer. He wanted to fight the war on drugs in South Dallas.
    "It was my little secret with me and my neighborhood, that I was going to come in and save the world, as a naive 21 year old," Brown said.

See this is what I hope we can do. Separate those critical of police actions from police haters. Look at ways to improve law enforcement behavior and how to get the public to see that not all LE are bad.

Did you know that Trump signed legislation in June to fund training veterans for LE jobs?

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...602-story.html
    Weird. Where I lived in MN, vets get 10 more points on tests to be a cop. Not true everywhere? I thought it was called "Veteran's Preference".

Quote Originally Posted by Momma2cam View Post
    I look at this issue through a trauma lens from both perspectives. In many cases, the increased violence toward Police officers comes from feeling unsafe and traumatized by negative experiences. Likewise, I think often the perceived unfair treatment by police is often driven out of fear and trauma stemming from deep unintentional and systemic stereotypes and racism.

My mom retired as a civilian with the state police after 30 years of service. I work daily with law enforcement in investigations of child abuse. I personally know several people in LE and they have my utmost respect. They are good people.

I think that most people on both sides of this are good. I think it is important that we understand what is driving the behavior on both sides to begin to discuss resolution. It is a lot more than just "hating police" and "hating blacks" etc. People are afraid and brains are kicking into survival fight flight freeze mode. The solution involves reducing the fear.

The increase in guns is a huge issue.

More money so LE gets more time off between shifts and some kind of support in destressing after a shift. Whether yoga and talk therapy, but something.

No one calls the police because they are having a good day and want to share the joy,

Time that is paid for community interaction time.

The biggest thing to me is dealing with the stress and learning how to deescalate situations.

Oh, and lots and lots of education on the history of POC.

I think they need more training on how to deal with people with mental health issues. I wish there was more money for specific officers educated and trained to deal with mental health patients aside from the regular officers.

My nephew was a vet who got points and became a sheriff. He is doing the middle of the night "no-knock" warrants and is the first officer in. Scares the daylights out of me as I am often worried that he will end up on the wrong end of a gun confrontation. Interestingly enough, I am often one who is critical of some policing policies and actions. I know many police officers are honorable and trying to do the right thing. AND, I know there are some real bad apples out there who antagonize and do not act/react appropriately.

I am sorry for the departments who experience a loss of life. It is gut-wrenching. I do think it is important for police to begin the process of weeding out those who can't be trained to be effective with the population in their community. That is something that I think used to be the rarity--getting rid of the non-effective officers.

On the legislation front, most of my nephew's friends left the military and joined police departments of one kind or another. That said, there are definitely some vet s with PTSD that must be screened out. In particular, I am focused on the veteran's from the Iraq/ Afghanistan vets who have seen lots of tours of duty as these folks are often very vulnerable. I could tell you stories of the people who served with my nephew and are out on patrol (and probably should not be).

I think they need more training on how to deal with people with mental health issues. I wish there was more money for specific officers educated and trained to deal with mental health patients aside from the regular officers.
    I would add that there needs to be focus on the development of mental health protocols that are enforced in departments.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast