1139 users online (190 members and 949 guests)  

Websleuths News

ID - Diane Schulte, 22, Nampa, 25 March 1977

Couldn't find a thread on her but if there is mods please remove

Name: Diane Marie Schulte
    Case Classification: Involuntary Missing
    Missing Since: March 25, 1977
    Location Last Seen: Nampa, Canyon County, Idaho
    Physical Description
    Date of Birth: September 16, 1954
    Race: White
    Height: 5'5"
    Weight: 118 lbs
    Hair Color: Brown
    Eye Color: Brown/Hazel
    Nickname/Alias: None
    Distinguishing Marks/Features: Dark brown hair; Gums are charcoal grey
    Identifiers
    Dentals: Available
    Fingerprints: Not Available
    DNA: Available
    Clothing & Personal Items
    Clothing: Blue jeans, navy blue hooded sweatshirt and tennis shoes
    Jewelry: Unknown
    Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance
    Schulte was last seen in Nampa, Idaho on March 25, 1977. Her husband reported her missing to Nampa Police. He reported that his wife Diane Schulte, was last seen at home at 07.20 on the morning of March 25, 1977. When he returned home from work, he noticed that the car was still at home and the mail was still in the box. A UPS package was also on the porch of the residence. All of Diane Schulte’s belongings were still at home. Her purse and money were at home as well. Diane had never been missing like this before.

Investigating Agency(s)
    Agency Name: Nampa Police Department
    Agency Contact Person: Detective Brice King
    Agency Phone Number: 208-947-8703
    Agency E-Mail: king@cityofnampa.us
    Agency Case Number: 47031
    NCIC Case Number: M012606992
    NamUs Case Number: 2065

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is an outstanding new three-part article about Diane Schulte: http://www.kivitv.com/longform/polic...ng-nampa-woman

Quote Originally Posted by Spindlebrook View Post
    Here is an outstanding new three-part article about Diane Schulte: http://www.kivitv.com/longform/polic...ng-nampa-woman
    Saw that I wonder if husband had something to do with it and also curious as to what the conversation on the phone to her grandma was about

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read the articles (which were very thorough), and this is what I gathered in addition to some personal opinion:

- Diane was known to be extremely introverted, which pretty much rules out the possibility that she left of her own accord with another person.This suggests that she was either abducted or that she left of her own accord by herself. The former seems to be more probable, as she left behind her watch and wedding ring, which according to her husband 'she would only behind when she was going out for a short period of time'.

- Diane was interested in macramé (the art of knotting string in patterns to make decorative articles). There is a possibility that she may be carrying pieces of jewelry or articles that she wove herself, such as bands or bracelets.

- Diane was only known to frequent two places in Nampa (The Post Office and the Public Library). She and her husband lived on Delaware Avenue, so I have tried to visualize the route she may have taken (the post office and library are on adjacent blocks).

It is possible that between these two points Diane may have been abducted.

- She was last seen wearing a navy-blue sweatshirt (with a hood), blue jeans and yellow tennis shoes.

- In the missing persons report, it is stated that her gums were 'charcoal-grey in appearance'. This is characteristic of gingivitis, but it has also been noted that Diane had 'extensive dental work, with more planned'.

- I personally don't believe that her husband was involved in her disappearance. None of the guns in the household had been used at the time of or prior to her disappearance. Her husband later committed suicide through the use of a gun which had earlier been checked for residue (negative result) and since he obviously knew how to use, it poses the question as to why he wouldn't have shot her if he had in fact killed her. His suicide note also held no details or indication that he had murdered her, and instead painted a picture of grief and sorrow.

Do we know how/where the Schultes met? So much we don't know.

I can partially answer that question. They had known each other for around three and a half years, and had been married for two. Prior to their marriage, the pair had lived in Michigan (I haven't been able to establish exactly where), where they then moved to Iowa for a year after their marriage, and finally settled in Nampha, Idaho. However, I am inclined to believe that they met at college, as Diane majored in accounting. Since they lived in Michigan, it is also possible that they were residents of Flint (where her grandmother originated from).

I've lined up three potential matches which I thought could be Diane Schulte.

1. https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/10868

Located in Corrigan, Texas on 11/25/1977

She has dark brown hair, and could fit the postmortem interval. The manner of death was homicide (suspected in the missing person's case). However, there's a huge distance between Nampa and Corrigan.

2. https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/14953

The hair colour of the unidentified female is black, but Diane's was very dark brown (almost black) in colour. My interest was piqued here due to the large number of woven clothing items located with the body (Diane had a passion for macrame). Also, the unidentified female was not wearing a bra (consistent with Diane), and was wearing jeans (Diane was last seen wearing jeans). However, some of the clothing might be too flashy in appearance for Diane in regards to colour and style.

3. https://www.identifyus.org/en/cases/7477

The reconstruction struck me as seeming quite similar in appearance (the curved nose, the thin face, unfinished dental work). Big gap between Idaho and Maryland, but to me this one seemed the most similar.