C130 Military plane crash Miss 8 deaths reported

CARIIS

Former Member
Reaction score
[FONT=&amp]UL 10 2017, 8:51 PM ET

[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]Military Plane Crashes in Mississippi, Causing Fatalities

NBC affiliate WMC-TV reported that eight people were aboard the flight out of Memphis, Tennessee, when it crashed near a highway north of Jackson, Mississippi.
Citing unidentified investigators, the station reported that debris was found on either side of the way highway, indicating a possible mid-air explosion.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/military-plane-crashes-mississippi-causing-fatalities-n781591

[/FONT]
U.S. Marines
✔@USMC

A USMC KC-130 mishap occurred the evening of July 10. Further information will be released as available.
[video=twitter;884569791893315585]https://twitter.com/USMC/status/884569791893315585[/video]

• t is very strange tho the still I saw it looked pretty intact - but they are saying midair event it might be cause it is propeller driven but planes do not fall from flight intact ????????????
It is def very very intact looks like a belly flop honestly

There old ugly but lots made1

Ugly but I love them. Which plane did you say is yours - the L1011? C-130s are mine.

RIP Marines. Semper Fi.

Ugly but I love them. Which plane did you say is yours - the L1011? C-130s are mine.

RIP Marines. Semper Fi.

16 dead CNn

ugh my dear I picture them to be really loud green pale inside all banged up smell they been running people all over for ages ! yuk!!

I dont know interior but exterior she is one ugly lady!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!moo

How on earth could one of these C-130's drop out of the sky. They have four engines, they can lose one and still keep flying to their destination on three. If absolutely necessary they can still keep flying on TWO engines, so I cannot imagine what could have caused a C-130 to drop out of the sky.
We will keep watching this space..........!

R.I.P. to those who lost their lives... :rose:

Cnn

It was a fueler loaded with fuel

which makes it landing in tact even more bizaire imo

moo

Just saw the clearer picture it is not a midair anything . I do not know if the military is hiding something - the core part of accident investigation (first thing they do when arriving an any scene) is look for the four points.

The tip of the nose, the end of the tail the end of each wingtip. Peroid.

It has to be like engine failure (multiple?)fuel exhaustion ( it carried fuel so the fire may have been from that) suicide deal, pilot medical - it belly flop like (stall) stopping forward motion
dropping down intact and boom

This was basically stalled stopped foward motion and flopped

images

the fire may make more destruction but this is strange it has to be something with loss of lift or forward motion which has to go back to engines -- contaminated fuel??

The scorching of impact area is one concise area ?/

I can see the rear stablizer. I can see the wingtip - they withing the same proximity of each other on a plane that has not crashed!

moo but it is bugging me why would they say that (mid air)

moo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...6-in-mississippi/ar-BBEcg3L?OCID=ansmsnnews11

According to this report, people are reporting bodies up to a mile away from the crash. How is that possible. Were they blown out of the plane while it was still at high altitude? Witnesses report hearing a boom, and then seeing the plan spiraling down with one engine smoking. If one engine exploded, why couldn't the plane still have flown on the remaining engines? If there was a mid-air collision, where is the other aircraft? Its still very early and there are a lot of confusing and conflicting reports in the media, but this seems very strange.

I havent seen any report as to approximately how high the plane was flying when the trouble occurred.
I was thinking about the witness reports as to smoke from an engine. If the plane was actually spiraling down, it would perhaps be difficult to tell where the smoke was actually coming from. Since this plane was a refueling aircraft, is it possible some fuel vapors onboard ignited and exploded? That could explain why some bodies were found so far away. But as Cariss said above, this wreckage doesnt look like a plane that spiraled into the ground. Its practically intact like it just dropped straight down

Cnn

It was a fueler loaded with fuel

which makes it landing in tact even more bizaire imo

When our son served for many years in the Marine Corps aboard the huge CH-53 Super Stallion helicopter they were re-fueled with jet fuel in midair by the C-130s. That also can be extremely dangerous with no room for error. The C-130s are some of the most reliable aircraft in the USA though..

So that is one of the reasons it burst into flames. It was probably loaded with jet fuel.

I am glad to see the FBI has been called in to also assist in the investigation.

My heart is broken for of these selfless air wing heroes who put their lives on the line anytime they are in the air...whether its here in the states or proudly serving our country abroad.

I cant begin to even imagine the sadness and overwhelming grief the families are enduring. :( God be with them all, and with our country who has also suffered a tremendous loss.

RIP Marines. Semper Fi.

OMG, this is terrible.

Godspeed to all Marines killed on board and my condolences to their families, loved ones and friends.

Bluesneakers, the L1011 is my favourite plane also, isn't that right CARIIS?!
C-130 are awesome and they are HUGE.

I heard mention earlier about the FBI. That is disturbing to hear. Usually the NTSB only invites them in when there is suspicion of criminal action. What on Earth is going on?

By the way, I have flew in C-130s many times in my Army days. They are a proven workhorse. They are also capable of very stable flight at low speed, which makes them able to land on very short runways. It is also very useful for refueling helicopters in flight. Also why they are often used in forest fire suppression.

Six of the Marines and the sailor were from an elite Marine Raider battalion at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina, the Marine Corps said. It said the seven and their equipment were headed for pre-deployment training at Yuma, Arizona.

The Marine Raiders are a special operations force that is part of the global fight against terrorism. They carry out raids against insurgents and terrorists, conduct deep reconnaissance and train foreign militaries.

"It sounded like a big thunderstorm," Nobile said. "Not one big explosion, but a couple of second-long explosions. ... A long, steady rumble is what it was."

He walked outside to see what was making the noise in the cloudless afternoon and saw a "gray streak" disappear behind some trees, and then black smoke rising.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/1...crash-since-2005/ar-BBEfR0r?OCID=ansmsnnews11

This is so sad and horrific.

I have friends and relatives that are deployed right now.

This plane looks like it landed flat. So sad for these heroes and their families. RIP and thank you for your service.

Found this website for a factory just outside Ita Bena, MS, the little town closest to the crash site. One of the eyewitnesses had stated he was tending a family catfish farm when he heard the "boom" and looked up to see the spiraling aircraft before the crash. Apparently catfish farming is big business in northern MS:

Fish Food

Regards,
Clouseau

By the way, I have flew in C-130s many times in my Army days. They are a proven workhorse. They are also capable of very stable flight at low speed, which makes them able to land on very short runways. It is also very useful for refueling helicopters in flight. Also why they are often used in forest fire suppression.
Delta Air Lines owned five of them back in the early 1970's when I was a Co-op student at their Jet Maintenace Base in ATL. They were used mostly for air freight, but whenever needed, they could be loaded with a jet engine on its trailer for any plane in the fleet. They would roll it up the rear ramp into the large cargo bay and ferry it into any airport large enough to handle jet aircraft. Back then, the Delta fleet consisted of Convair 880's, DC-8's, DC-9's, B-727's, L-1011's, and B-747's. The DC-9 and B-727 both used smaller Pratt and Whitney JT8D engines, but the L-1011 and B-747 used either JT9D's or Rolls Royce RB211's interchangeably, both huge engines but still fit inside the L-100 envelope (civilian version of the C-130 Hercules).

Regards,
Insp. Clouseau

OMG, this is terrible.

Godspeed to all Marines killed on board and my condolences to their families, loved ones and friends.

Bluesneakers, the L1011 is my favourite plane also, isn't that right CARIIS?!
C-130 are awesome and they are HUGE.

yes they are my dear ~~

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/m...6-in-mississippi/ar-BBEcg3L?OCID=ansmsnnews11

According to this report, people are reporting bodies up to a mile away from the crash. How is that possible. Were they blown out of the plane while it was still at high altitude? Witnesses report hearing a boom, and then seeing the plan spiraling down with one engine smoking. If one engine exploded, why couldn't the plane still have flown on the remaining engines? If there was a mid-air collision, where is the other aircraft? Its still very early and there are a lot of confusing and conflicting reports in the media, but this seems very strange.

This quote is from your MSN article:

"Nobile said he drove to the site and as he and others stood by a highway, they saw an open parachute wafting down from the sky: "It didn't look like anybody was in it." Another catfish farmer found an empty, open parachute later near a fish pond, Nobile said."

What in the world? Did someone try to escape the aircraft during its rapid descent? Seems almost impossible, the G-forces of such a tight turn would have been tremendous, pinning everyone against the outside of the spiraling aircraft like those Tilt-a-Whirl cups at an amusement park. Try pulling youself up out of your seat toward the pivot point in one of those -- impossible.

If the parachute somehow found its way outside the aircraft without anyone inside its harness, then who pulled the ripcord to deploy it? Strange piece of evidence.

JMO

Regards,
Clouseau

Tilt-A-Whirl1.jpg

This quote is from your MSN article:

"Nobile said he drove to the site and as he and others stood by a highway, they saw an open parachute wafting down from the sky: "It didn't look like anybody was in it." Another catfish farmer found an empty, open parachute later near a fish pond, Nobile said."

What in the world? Did someone try to escape the aircraft during its rapid descent? Seems almost impossible, the G-forces of such a tight turn would have been tremendous, pinning everyone against the outside of the spiraling aircraft like those Tilt-a-Whirl cups at an amusement park. Try pulling youself up out of your seat toward the pivot point in one of those -- impossible.

If the parachute somehow found its way outside the aircraft without anyone inside its harness, then who pulled the ripcord to deploy it? Strange piece of evidence.

JMO

Regards,
Clouseau

View attachment 120168

That is odd. Its starting to sound like there was rupture of the fuselage at altitude. That in itself is perplexing. The parachute got blown free from the plane. My guess is that when it got thrown from the aircraft it just opened on its own. That is sort of an eerie image.

That is odd. Its starting to sound like there was rupture of the fuselage at altitude. That in itself is perplexing. The parachute got blown free from the plane. My guess is that when it got thrown from the aircraft it just opened on its own. That is sort of an eerie image.

Eerie is right. It probably touched down several minutes after the crash, depending on altitude at which it opened. Almost as if to say to the eyewitnesses, "Sorry, folks, no survivors." Can't imagine the thoughts running through those catfish farmers's heads as they watched both scenes in horror, fire and death at one location, an empty parachute at the other. Sights and sounds of that afternoon will be with them the rest of their lives.

Regards,
Clouseau

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member