1304 users online (214 members and 1090 guests)  

Websleuths News

Twitter users sue President Trump for blocking them after criticising him

A group of Twitter users has sued Donald Trump and two White House communication aides for violating their constitutional rights by blocking them from Trump’s personal Twitter account after they criticized the president.

The suit, which was was filed in federal court in New York on Tuesday, argues that Trump’s Twitter account, @realDonaldTrump, constitutes a “public forum for speech by, to, and about the President”. The plaintiffs are seeking an injunction requiring Trump to unblock their accounts and cease blocking others on the basis of their opinions.

Since Twitter users who have been blocked cannot read or respond to Trump’s tweets, the suit argues, blocking users for their political beliefs “imposes a viewpoint-based restriction on ... participation in a public forum” and violates the first amendment.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ight-institute
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

wow, well, this will be interesting.
    When you have more than you need, build a longer table not a higher fence --Unknown

@realDonaldTrump is Trump's private twitter account.

@POTUS is the official presidential twitter account.

I think he may be able to block anyone from his @realDonaldTrump private account.
    To understand the soul of a horse is the closest we humans can come to knowing perfection.

it will be fun for the IP lawyers.

If anyone could block, then I wonder how was this case even filed? Must be some grey area (or really inadequate counsel).
    When you have more than you need, build a longer table not a higher fence --Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by sorrell skye View Post
    @realDonaldTrump is Trump's private twitter account.

@POTUS is the official presidential twitter account.

I think he may be able to block anyone from his @realDonaldTrump private account.
    Great point! I'm sure this will be part of his defence. It's amazing how in uncharted territory we are in in so many areas with Trump's presidency.
    The man in my avatar may have killed two innocent teenagers Abigail Williams and Liberty German. If you know who he is Please call the tip line. There is a reward of $250,000 - Tel- 844.459.5786 or email: abbyandlibbytip@cacoshrf.com

In America, we have a right to free speech. However, we have no right to be heard.

Depending on the content or frequency of their tweets, he can argue it's harassment. Which I would understand considering some of the hate and vitriol I've seen. You open a tweet and there's like forty to fifty tweets harassing him if not more.

We don't have a right to harass ANYONE. He has blocked habitual harassers---those that make it a sport to verbally abuse THE PRESIDENT of the USA.

Now if it comes out in court that the First Amendment guarantees the right to harass and berate the President then I'll eat my words.

Besides I think Twitter falls outside of FOIA. We shall see.

Speaking of suits,

This will be interesting!

From the Guardian link:

Since Twitter users who have been blocked cannot read or respond to Trump’s tweets, the suit argues, blocking users for their political beliefs “imposes a viewpoint-based restriction on ... participation in a public forum” and violates the first amendment

“It’s like barring people at the door of a city council meeting because they criticized your policy,” said Katie Fallow, a senior attorney at the Knight First Amendment Institute, which is representing the blocked Twitter users.
    He wants to use twitter as his main method of communicating (such a modern president!) with the public but then he decides he's not going to talk to everyone. He's the president and shouldn't be hiding or leaving people out. And people's right to free speech is suddenly limited. There's already controversy about freedom of speech on the internet and twitter lets anything short of abuse and threats get posted.

I don't think it matters that it's his personal account.

First Amendment:
    It guarantees freedom of expression by prohibiting Congress from restricting the press or the rights of individuals to speak freely.
    From twitter TOS:
    We believe in freedom of expression and in speaking truth to power, but that means little as an underlying philosophy if voices are silenced because people are afraid to speak up.
    The company that has moved the furthest toward the American free-speech ideal is Twitter, which has explicitly concluded that it wants to be a platform for democracy rather than civility.
    https://newrepublic.com/article/1130...y-making-rules

But LOOK WHAT A CLINTON DID!
    I speak fluently in reaction gifs.

"gangs"

Some of the tweets that were blocked that are cited in the lawsuit.

A legal analyst
    It's all MOO

Quote Originally Posted by everybodhi View Post
    Some of the tweets that were blocked that are cited in the lawsuit.

A legal analyst

A police officer

A doctor at Vanderbilt University Medical Center

http://lawnewz.com/high-profile/thes...hey-are-suing/
    I must admit, I've tweeted worse in response to Trump, I must not be important enough to block.
    Maybe he only blocks dissenters with a blue check by their name.
    It's all MOO

I must admit, I've tweeted worse in response to Trump, I must not be important enough to block.
    *raises hand* I too admit to sending some pretty nasty tweets and have not been blocked. I have also left some crude messages on Paul Ryan's voicemail.

He blocked VoteVets!

Quote Originally Posted by jamiect View Post
    *raises hand* I too admit to sending some pretty nasty tweets and have not been blocked. I have also left some crude messages on Paul Ryan's voicemail.
    I sent a snarky email to Shirley Capito and she wrote back! Mostly a form email, but at least she didn't block me.