Found Deceased CO - Eric Ashby, 31, Colorado Springs, 28 June 2017

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
ashby+for+web+missing.jpg

On June 28, Fremont County Deputies received a report of a possible river accident in the area of Sunshine Falls near Fremont County Road 61 on the Arkansas River. The person said he saw a raft flip and several people went into the river. The person went on to say that all but one person made it to shore. The person who called was not part of the group and only witnessed the raft flip from a distance.
Search and rescue responded, searched but didn't find anyone and there were no other calls made that day about a missing rafter.
On July 8, Fremont County Deputies received a phone call from family wanting to report Eric Ashby, 31, of Colorado Springs, missing after receiving information from friends that he was in a river accident on June 28th.

After further investigation and information, the sheriff's office believe the call on June 28 is tied to Ashby.

Ashby was not wearing a life vest or helmet at the time of the river accident.
http://www.kktv.com/content/news/MI...-resident-along-Arkansas-River-434134663.html

59678ee1b380d.image.png

A raft reportedly flipped in the Royal Gorge June 28 and may have led to the disappearance of a Colorado Springs man, according to a press release issued Wednesday by the Fremont County Sheriff’s Office.

Fremont County deputies received a call June 28 reporting that a personal raft had flipped in Sunshine Falls, a Class IV-V rapid on the Arkansas River in the Royal Gorge.
The caller said he watched the raft flip, saw multiple people go into the river, and all but one person made it to shore. The caller was not involved in the group and was only watching from a distance.
Fremont County deputies along with the Cañon City Fire Department and Colorado Parks and Wildlife officers responded to the area, but upon arrival no one was on scene.
http://www.themountainmail.com/free_content/article_2fce499e-67dd-11e7-ab0d-fbe8e689d932.html

I agree, GigTu. Normally, it seems pretty obvious if someone falls in the river they are not likely to survive but why didn't his friends report him missing right after it happened? Why didn't search and rescue run into the friends or the caller at the river when they went to search the first time? :thinking:

Still missing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_8989.JPG
    IMG_8989.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 329
Fremont County deputies received a phone call July 8 from a family wanting to report that Eric Ashby, 31, of Colorado Springs was missing after the family received information from friends that Ashby was in a river accident June 28.

http://www.themountainmail.com/free_content/article_2fce499e-67dd-11e7-ab0d-fbe8e689d932.html

So "friends' call to inform the family
Does the family know who they are?
How do the friends explain walking away and not reporting an accident?
Doesn't make sense

They waited over a week. :(

I think more like 10 days.

A photographer reported the drowning, but Ashby's friends were "in fear and left" said Sheriff Jim Beicker. An initial search by local and state authorities -- including the help of a helicopter -- did not turn up any signs of Ashby.
It wasn't until more than a week later that one of the friends reported the incident to Ashby's family and they reported to authorities that Ashby still is missing.
Ashby was not wearing a life vest or helmet at the time of the accident.
Despite the delay in reporting, Fremont County Detective Sgt. Megan Richards said no foul play is suspected and the friends do not face charges.
http://www.chieftain.com/news/regio...cle_acb8facc-9e9a-57f0-bb04-2000fda1c600.html

My deepest sympathy to his family
I have a difficult time accepting that adults were "in Fear" to the point of not reporting an accident. Its wrong on so many levels
Whatever JMO

My deepest sympathy to his family
I have a difficult time accepting that adults were "in Fear" to the point of not reporting an accident. Its wrong on so many levels
Whatever JMO

My feelings, exactly. What would they be afraid of? Getting a ticket for boating without life-vests? :confused: I wonder how close these "friends" are...

I am relieved to see that the person who called was identified as "a photographer" because that means LE know who the reporting individual is, whereas early in this story it sounded like maybe someone called and reported it anonymously. I also hope he caught some photos of what happened or at least photos of the guys on the river to prove they were all there. Still, this just whole thing stinks! :moo:

My feelings, exactly. Assuming those with him are in his age range and not young kids, there is just no excuse for not reporting the accident immediately. And what would they be afraid of? Getting a ticket for boating without life-vests? :confused: I wonder how close these "friends" are...

I am relieved to see that the person who called was identified as "a photographer" because that means LE know who the reporting individual is, whereas early in this story it sounded like maybe someone called and reported it anonymously. I also hope he caught some photos of what happened or at least photos of the guys on the river to prove they were all there. Still, this just whole thing stinks! :moo:
They were in their 20s i believe.

They were in their 20s i believe.

Thanks. I edited my posted to take out the part about their age. I don't mean to level blame at them, but it just makes no sense! Were they boating under the influence or something and didn't remember until a week later that Eric fell in the river? I'm baffled! :gaah::scared:

He was on a search for the forrest fenn treasure is what they are saying. Ive been keeping up with it. Many believe that something criminal was going on.

He was on a search for the forrest fenn treasure is what they are saying. Ive been keeping up with it. Many believe that something criminal was going on.

Oh no! Not that dang treasure again! :tantrum:

Yes! His sister put on her Facebook that she found evedence in his car but didn't say whay.

Human remains found in the Arkansas River today,east of Florence, Colorado, but the remains have not yet been identified.

Eric Ashby, 31, decided to search the Arkansas River for the treasure, which was written about in a book, but disappeared while rafting near the Royal Gorge Bridge in June.

Apparently Ashby was in an accident and fell into the water, but no one knew to look for him until his family reported him missing more than a week later.

“We have a great group of professional raft operations. We’ve got a great railroad. They’re up and down that river almost on an hourly basis,” said Patrick Caulfield, with Fremont County Search and Rescue.

Two other Coloradans have died while searching for this same treasure, including Grand Junction pastor Paris Wallace and Randy Bilyeu of Broomfield.

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2017/07/28/colorado-treasure-hunting-death/

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie