1049 users online (195 members and 854 guests)  

Websleuths News

PA - Amira Brown, 12, beaten to death in Reading foster home, 4 Sept 2005

A 12-year-old Reading girl who died in September had been beaten before her death, authorities said.

Dr. Nicholas Bybel, Berks County coroner, on Thursday ruled the death of Amira Brown a homicide, saying she died of cardio-respiratory collapse due to a beating and physical restraint. The ruling came after months of medical tests, officials said.

Amira, a Southwest Middle School seventh-grader, had been found unconscious Sept. 4 in her home, where she was in foster care. She was pronounced dead on arrival in Reading Hospital.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

This poor girl was probably in foster care because of being mistreated .
    I hope LE gets the scum responsible.

Truely a sad thing. Makes one wonder... why is the foster care system so overloaded that people are not screened better, trained better or monitored better? At what cost are we willing to put dollars into budgets other than programs for our children?

Woman gets life sentence for killing 12-year-old

Feb. 2, 2007--A 41-year-old Reading woman who beat, sat on and killed a 12-year-old child she outweighed by about 160 pounds was sentenced Thursday in Berks County Court to life in prison.

Rose M. Boyd-Tolver of the 700 block of McKnight Street, who was described during her trial as being mildly mentally retarded, was convicted in a November jury trial of first degree murder in the death of Amira Brown.

According to testimony, Boyd-Tolver struck the child at least 80 times with a mop handle in a downstairs kitchen in the home of the child's foster parent Sept 4, 2005. She then hit Brown again upstairs before sitting on the child and killing her, witnesses testified.

Boyd-Tolver weighed about 280 pounds, and Brown weighed about 120 pounds, according to testimony.

Boyd-Tolver was baby-sitting the child, who was under the care of Barbara Martin in Martin's home at 630 Summit Ave.

Emphasis mine. More at link.

wow i bet that made her feel real tough

metro Detroit, more or less
    From the above article:

"District Attorney Mark C. Baldwin gave Bucci a letter expressing similar sentiments from Brown's mother, Janeen Sharp of Philadelphia, who could not attend the sentencing.

Life in prison is an appropriate sentence because medical evidence showed Boyd-Tolver continued to beat Brown after the girl was unconscious, Baldwin said."

Bolded by me - MONSTER