1187 users online (275 members and 912 guests)  

The Killing Season - Websleuths

Websleuths News

Mom, 13, is ruled a sex crime offender

Appeals court: But she is also a victim; a boy, then 12, fathered her baby, and he is also a victim and perpetrator

An appeals court on Friday upheld a judge's refusal to dismiss a sexual abuse allegation against a 13-year-old Ogden girl who became pregnant by her 12-year-old boyfriend.
    The Utah Court of Appeals says the law's "rigorous protections" for younger minors include protecting them from each other.
    The decision leaves the teens in the odd position of each being both a victim and a perpetrator in the same offense.
    "The Legislature certainly may act to protect the health and safety of children, and may more vigorously protect those of more tender years," Judge Gregory Orme wrote for a three-member panel of the court, which made its decision "with some reluctance."
    The girl's Ogden attorneys, Randall Richards and Dee Smith, are considering an appeal to the Utah Supreme Court.
    Richards pointed out that Utah law says minors under age 14 do not have the ability to consent to sexual activity.
    "It's a paradox," he said. "How can they be old enough to commit an offense if they're not old enough to consent to it?"
    According to the court decision, the girl became pregnant after she and the boy engaged in sex in October 2003.
    State authorities filed delinquency petitions in July 2004, alleging that each had committed sexual abuse of a child, a second-degree felony if committed by an adult.
    The girl appealed the petition, saying her constitutional right to be treated equally under the law had been violated.
    http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3358959
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

OneLostGrl is offline I'm going against the grain- I'm going sane
    Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Appeals court: But she is also a victim; a boy, then 12, fathered her baby, and he is also a victim and perpetrator

An appeals court on Friday upheld a judge's refusal to dismiss a sexual abuse allegation against a 13-year-old Ogden girl who became pregnant by her 12-year-old boyfriend.
    The Utah Court of Appeals says the law's "rigorous protections" for younger minors include protecting them from each other.
    The decision leaves the teens in the odd position of each being both a victim and a perpetrator in the same offense.
    "The Legislature certainly may act to protect the health and safety of children, and may more vigorously protect those of more tender years," Judge Gregory Orme wrote for a three-member panel of the court, which made its decision "with some reluctance."
    The girl's Ogden attorneys, Randall Richards and Dee Smith, are considering an appeal to the Utah Supreme Court.
    Richards pointed out that Utah law says minors under age 14 do not have the ability to consent to sexual activity.
    "It's a paradox," he said. "How can they be old enough to commit an offense if they're not old enough to consent to it?"
    According to the court decision, the girl became pregnant after she and the boy engaged in sex in October 2003.
    State authorities filed delinquency petitions in July 2004, alleging that each had committed sexual abuse of a child, a second-degree felony if committed by an adult.
    The girl appealed the petition, saying her constitutional right to be treated equally under the law had been violated.
    http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_3358959
    Messed up! When a GROWN UP has sex with a child THEY get a slap on the wrist. But when 2 children are being children, they will be scarred for life with such a thing on their records.

This just seem stupid. Both those kids need more supervision, and maybe even court intervention to help their families supervise them better.

I know 12 year old girls who get pregnant by guys in their 20's and nothing is done. Nothing. The law in these cases is so spotty, as to be stupid.

Sounds to me like neither of them committed a crime - their parents did. Child endangerment and neglect.

They were two kids. Two kids who experimented too early, and she got pregnant. There were options as to how to handle this situation, and this option should never have been one of them.
    What are we doing to our kids, when they do something wrong at an early age- as far as I could tell it was consensual, now they have a record that will hang over them all their lives. If it had been a forceful rape- then I could understand. But, this was consensual. Wrong, yes, but they both consented to it. Instead of telling the kids hey, you did something wrong, you thought you were old enough, now you have to make some hard decisions, and think of someone else and what is best for the baby. You have to act like the adult you thought you were when you made the baby. Instead of forcing the kids to take responsibility for their actions, they just make them criminals. How will this benefit them, the child, or society?
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

Most states have laws that recognize sexual activity between participants whoa re underage but within 3 years of one another's age is not child moelstatation/abuse. Usually there has to be a 5 year difference for that to apply. Utah is pretty screwed up, period, when it comes to sex abuse/child molestation cases, anyway.

Too young to consent but old enough to offend.... hmmmm yes, something very wrong with that picture and the dollars spent on prosecuting this type of case ("consentual" minors). How about going after the true sex offenders instead of telling children they are criminals?

According to the article, Utah also has such a law for children over 13. In children under the age of 13 though, there is not provision for it. And actually that kind of makes sense, if you think of a 12 year old with say a 9 year old. A big difference though with a 12 year old and an 11 year old.

I didn't even know that you could get a girl pregnant at 12!

Girls mature at different ages. Girls as young as 10 have been known to get pregnant. It all depends on the physical maturity of the child. And getting pregnant at such an early age is very hard on the girl and the baby also.

In 1939, a man from a small village in the Andes mountains carried his five-year-old daughter Lina into a hospital in the town of Pisco, Peru. He indicated to the doctors there that the shamans in his village had been unable to cure the large tumor that was developing in her abdomen. Upon examination, the doctors learned that the swelling was not actually a tumor.

Dr. Gérado Lozada was told by Lina's father that she had been having regular periods since age three, but they had stopped about 7 1/2 months prior to the visit. He listened to the young girl's abdomen with a stethoscope, and heart a tiny second heartbeat. An X-Ray was also performed, after which there could be no doubt… to the doctors' astonishment, five-year-old Lina Medina was about seven months pregnant.

http://www.damninteresting.com/?p=236

I already checked out this story at snopes.com it is true

Quote Originally Posted by mysteriew
    Girls mature at different ages. Girls as young as 10 have been known to get pregnant. It all depends on the physical maturity of the child. And getting pregnant at such an early age is very hard on the girl and the baby also.
    Retired 08/03/03

There is a condition of girls going to premature puberty, I read an article last week and they have now developed a treatment to stop or slow down a young girl going into puberty.

So who was the Father of the little girls baby.

It really, really, upsets me of children having children and then the first child is no longer a child and an adult has to look after two kids now. Or worse.........

Gee I guess this children did not learn about sex ed or birth control in school and with the way things are going now, there are so many children absused, neglected, killed that is now seems so common place..........which disgusts me to no end.

Cyberlaw, the article said that they suspected the little girls father as being the father of the baby but it was never proven.
    Retired 08/03/03

Quote Originally Posted by CyberLaw
    There is a condition of girls going to premature puberty, I read an article last week and they have now developed a treatment to stop or slow down a young girl going into puberty.

So who was the Father of the little girls baby.

It really, really, upsets me of children having children and then the first child is no longer a child and an adult has to look after two kids now. Or worse.........

Gee I guess this children did not learn about sex ed or birth control in school and with the way things are going now, there are so many children absused, neglected, killed that is now seems so common place..........which disgusts me to no end.
    One of the horrible side effects of extremely precocious puberty (such as the 3 year old who got a period and was pregnant at 5!) is that such children tend to age prematurely and usually don't live to be more than 30. It's a form of Progeria, a disease that spends up the body's aging metabolism.