757 users online (82 members and 675 guests)  

Websleuths News

MO - Sarah Weese Charged with Child Endangerment, Greene County, 2006

http://www.kolr10.com/news/default.a...ownews&id=4489

"For the first time, a Greene County mother is charged with child endangerment for allegedly doing meth while pregnant.
    19-year-old Sarah Weese was charged earlier this week with one count of first degree endangering the welfare of a child. That`s a class C felony punishable by up to seven years in prison.

A toxicology report found that Weese had meth in her system when she gave birth to her daughter in May. Police say Weese admitted to smoking about a gram of meth three days before the baby was born."

This needs to happen more often, for any illegal drug. If it did, we wouldn't be reading about these poor babies' deaths.
    You put the light in me...

Good! I think a drug screen should be run on every pregnant woman.
    Just when I think that I have seen the most depraved things a human can do to another human, somebody posts a new story...........

Why is it that when a custodial parent fails to provide for a child it is called neglect and is a criminal matter. But when a non custodial parent fails to provide it is called failure to support and is a civil matter?

"Just when the caterpillar thought its world was over, it became a butterfly" ~ Michelle Knight

I think that if a drug screening was done on every pregnant women then it would increase the instances of these women not seeking medical care at all for their unborn children.

Quote Originally Posted by Amraann
    I think that if a drug screening was done on every pregnant women then it would increase the instances of these women not seeking medical care at all for their unborn children.
    Unfortunately you have a good point.

Unfortunately, most of them don't seek prenatal care to start with. I work in L&D and the vast majority of our moms who have a positive drug screen have either had no prenatal care or very little (1 or 2 office/health department visits). We were just talking about this at work a week or so ago and it's amazing how our numbers of these moms has increased dramatically over the last 2-3 years. Many of these moms have already had children taken from them by DCS, just to get pregnant again. I swear, there's times I truly believe in involuntary sterilization for some of these people. It's horrible what these little babies have to endure as they go through withdrawals. Many of them are premature because of the drug use and God only knows what the long term outcomes for some of these babies are, if they even survive.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but this is just something that angers me, that I see every day I work.
    You put the light in me...

If anyone ever watches Oprah - she did a story on this ( actually it was a story on that program "Intervention" ) it's unbelievable what Methamphetamine does to these people. She showed a before and after picture of a woman on Meth....I think it was only a year difference between the pictures.....you could hardly tell it was the same person. She literally aged 30 years from that crap- rotten teeth, scratches all over her face ( I guess the drug makes you pick at yourself and cause sores - ick) hair was falling out, etc. Methamphetamine is the most horribly addictive drug there is and it's use is growing by leaps and bounds....awful.

I'm afraid we are going to hear about a lot more babies born to this drug.

Quote Originally Posted by Alice253
    Unfortunately, most of them don't seek prenatal care to start with. I work in L&D and the vast majority of our moms who have a positive drug screen have either had no prenatal care or very little (1 or 2 office/health department visits). We were just talking about this at work a week or so ago and it's amazing how our numbers of these moms has increased dramatically over the last 2-3 years. Many of these moms have already had children taken from them by DCS, just to get pregnant again. I swear, there's times I truly believe in involuntary sterilization for some of these people. It's horrible what these little babies have to endure as they go through withdrawals. Many of them are premature because of the drug use and God only knows what the long term outcomes for some of these babies are, if they even survive.

Sorry, didn't mean to rant, but this is just something that angers me, that I see every day I work.
    I feel your pain, Alice. : ( I worked with pregnant teens or moms on welfare for years, and let me tell you, it's disheartening. You get to the point where you think there are no babies born in "normal" families. You just see it daily, day in and day out, babies born to women who don't want them, fathers who don't want them, mothers who don't have any interest/knowledge/desire for how to take care of them, and on and on. Women who come to the delivery room with no one with them, no one to call when the baby is born, and no way to get back home with the newborn. I had to quit.