Identified! Il - Forest Pk, Skeletal Remains Up16830, In Tarped Car, Jun17 Janice Petersen-peppers-norsworthy

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
[h=1]Human Bones Found In Abandoned Car In Forest Park: Cops[/h][h=2]The medical examiner confirms the bones are human. Forest Park police chief say they are treating the grisly find as a homicide.[/h]
The grisly discovery was made around 7:50 p.m. June 28 in the 1000 block of Lathrop Avenue, according to the Forest Park Police Department. A resident rented a parking space to the vehicle’s owner who apparently abandoned it on the property.

The owner of the parking space had arranged to have the car towed off the property, Chief Tom Aftanas said. The resident broke the window to clean out the car and observed a garbage can in the back seat. The garbage can contained what appeared to be skeletal remains.
At this time, the age, sex and cause of death of the remains has not been determined. The medical examiner said it could take up to a month to identify the deceased. Forest Park police and the West Suburban Major Crimes Task Force are investigating. Aftanas said that investigators are waiting to see if the human remains can be identified, reported Jean Lotus of the Cook County Chronicle. .

Neighbors said the car had been parked in the spot long-term, always covered by a tarp.

“I remember that car being there under the tarp for years,” Forest Park resident Thomas Flanagan told the Chronicle. “In the winter, there were cinder blocks on the tarp to keep it from blowing off.”
https://patch.com/illinois/forestpark/human-bones-found-abandoned-car-forest-park-cops

Wait! Just today I read a thread about a Mom, Chicago area. Her kids came home from school to find a locked house.

Dad (accused abuser, drug dealer) was seen leaving the house with a large trash can & returned maybe 36 hours later.

Wouldn't sleep in the bed he had shared with his wife, took his own life 6 months later.

OK, I"ll try to remember her name, IIRC her thread was just started this morning!

Delores Griffin:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-33-Romeoville-24-Oct-1975&highlight=Chicago

Older model sedan. poss Oldsmobile

I looked that up, WOW. But she went missing in 1975. And it was a monte carlo she had. From reading that I think he buried her. Since he was covered in mud. MOO.

Wait! Just today I read a thread about a Mom, Chicago area. Her kids came home from school to find a locked house.

Dad (accused abuser, drug dealer) was seen leaving the house with a large trash can & returned maybe 36 hours later.

Wouldn't sleep in the bed he had shared with his wife, took his own life 6 months later.

OK, I"ll try to remember her name, IIRC her thread was just started this morning!

Delores Griffin:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...n-33-Romeoville-24-Oct-1975&highlight=Chicago

Oh that's so sad. The article above doesn't say what year the car was. It just says an older model Oldmobile in poor condition.

Uhm. I have several questions.

Doesn't the resident know who he rented it to?

Isn't the car registered?

Are we talking a few years like 3 years or like 20 years? Why did it take so many years to do anything about it?

How many bones? All bones? A femur? How big was the trash can?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think this is the NamUs page: https://identifyus.org/en/cases/16830

Not much info there. It says: "found in a garbage can wrapped in blankets, towels and a tarp" And there is an x-ray picture of an "artificial body part" that is not identified:

The actual identity of the car owner might be elusive. He was only renting a parking space so there's a chance he never had to show identification and they just had a "gentlemen's agreement" that he would mail or deliver the monthly payment in person.

It's also possible he might be guilty of nothing other than being sentimental over a car that wasn't likely to return to the road. I can think of several local cars and boats that are perennially tarped-over, complete with the cinder blocks at the corners to keep the tarps from blowing off. Depending on how old the Oldsmobile really was, it may have had the type of door locks that could easily be opened with a coat hanger. That would have given anyone relatively quick access to the interior of the car to hide the trash can inside.

IMHO it's more likely the car owner isn't involved, because why would he stop paying rent for the parking spot, knowing that the car would be towed and the body discovered either by the spot's owner or the owners of the junkyard? IMHO if the car owner is guilty, he only stopped paying because he died, became incapacitated, fled town or the car wasn't actually registered in his name and he was banking on the fact that neither it nor the rented parking space could be traced back to him.

It would be helpful to see images of the trash can itself and the blankets and towels, both for their designs and the manufacturer's tags. Those would provide some idea of when the items were made, i.e. an earliest possible date the UID was placed in the car.

its also possible that the "owner" didn't own it, that the car was stolen and the body inside, and the parking lot was not visible from the street and this was the hood. he prob paid for a time but eventually left the area and stopped paying because he knew the person was never reported or thought the person couldnt be linked back to him.

The actual identity of the car owner might be elusive. He was only renting a parking space so there's a chance he never had to show identification and they just had a "gentlemen's agreement" that he would mail or deliver the monthly payment in person.

It's also possible he might be guilty of nothing other than being sentimental over a car that wasn't likely to return to the road. I can think of several local cars and boats that are perennially tarped-over, complete with the cinder blocks at the corners to keep the tarps from blowing off. Depending on how old the Oldsmobile really was, it may have had the type of door locks that could easily be opened with a coat hanger. That would have given anyone relatively quick access to the interior of the car to hide the trash can inside.

IMHO it's more likely the car owner isn't involved, because why would he stop paying rent for the parking spot, knowing that the car would be towed and the body discovered either by the spot's owner or the owners of the junkyard? IMHO if the car owner is guilty, he only stopped paying because he died, became incapacitated, fled town or the car wasn't actually registered in his name and he was banking on the fact that neither it nor the rented parking space could be traced back to him.

It would be helpful to see images of the trash can itself and the blankets and towels, both for their designs and the manufacturer's tags. Those would provide some idea of when the items were made, i.e. an earliest possible date the UID was placed in the car.

Forest Park, Illinois isn't "the hood". It's actually a more affordable alternative to its more expensive neighboring Oak Park.

The photo is a dental 'partial' with what looks like 4 teeth attached. Two teeth in the back with one on each end and two side by side teeth in the front. The hooks hold the partial denture to the adjacent intact teeth.

It's hard to be sure as I'm no expert on dental partials, but I would guess this is an upper denture. We should be looking for a MP with 4 missing teeth.

I agree it would have been far more helpful if more information was given about the sheets and towels. As well as confirmation if this is an upper or lower partial. The ME's office could have definately added more identifying information.

thanks for the clarification! but maybe the area was not visible to the street.

Forest Park, Illinois isn't "the hood". It's actually a more affordable alternative to its more expensive neighboring Oak Park.

The photo is a dental 'partial' with what looks like 4 teeth attached. Two teeth in the back with one on each end and two side by side teeth in the front. The hooks hold the partial denture to the adjacent intact teeth.

It's hard to be sure as I'm no expert on dental partials, but I would guess this is an upper denture. We should be looking for a MP with 4 missing teeth.

I agree it would have been far more helpful if more information was given about the sheets and towels. As well as confirmation if this is an upper or lower partial. The ME's office could have definately added more identifying information.

I don't know how to add a map via the tablet, but if you look at 1000 Lathrop Forest Park, Il. you'll see that an alley runs between streets and garages are at the back of the property lot. Access to parking and garages are only accessible from the alley and that would give someone driving through the alley a fair amount of privacy.

ok here is a crazy thought.. well the person that was paying for the parking spot stopped paying and disappeared?? Could that be who is in the trash Can and that is the reason they stopped paying?

Sounds as plausible as anything else. There's no way to know whether the barrel was there the whole time the car was.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back