IL IL - Shirley McGee or Magee, 12, Chicago, 26 July 1973

JerseyGirl

Forum Coordinator
Staff member
Forum Coordinators
Reaction score
Shirley was last seen in Chicago, IL on July 26, 1973. There are few details in her case.

Missing at 12 years old.
African-American
80 pounds, 5' tall

magee_shirley.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/magee_shirley.html

Annie Montgomery and Percy McGee are the mother and brother of Shirley McGee, who went missing in Chicago in 1973.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension held a DNA collection opportunity for people who are missing a family member. People had the opportunity to provide a DNA sample to be compared with people in the national missing persons database.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/15/bca-dna-collection/

Shirley was last seen in Chicago, IL on July 26, 1973. There are few details in her case.

Missing at 12 years old.
African-American
80 pounds, 5' tall

magee_shirley.jpg

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/m/magee_shirley.html

Annie Montgomery and Percy McGee are the mother and brother of Shirley McGee, who went missing in Chicago in 1973.

The Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension held a DNA collection opportunity for people who are missing a family member. People had the opportunity to provide a DNA sample to be compared with people in the national missing persons database.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2017/07/15/bca-dna-collection/

Once Shirley's family members provided DNA, would she then be added to NAMUS? I ask because I could not find her. Maybe it takes more time to get that all processed?

[h=1]Shirley Magee[/h]
  • shirley_magee_1.jpg
  • shirley_magee_2.jpg
Shirley, circa 1973

• Missing Since 07/26/1973
  • Missing From Chicago, Illinois
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 11/19/1960 (57)
  • Age 12 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'0, 80 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics African-American female. Black hair, brown eyes.

[h=3]Details of Disappearance[/h] Shirley was last seen walking to Harlan High School in Chicago, Illinois on July 26, 1973. She has never been heard from again. Few details are available in her case.

http://charleyproject.org/case/shirley-magee

Dental information / charting is currently not available

DNA Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete

Fingerprint information is currently not available

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27064/

I suspect that Shirley Magee is Compton Jane doe, she's a perfect match but there is no DNA to compare since she was cremated. On nameus her race is listed as "other" although she's Black.

My theory without knowing much ofcourse is that Shirley went from neglect and poverty in Chicago for a better life in L.A, possibly she moved there to relatives or family friends since she was only 12 at the time she went missing and there is no clue of anything really. While in L.A very little for her changed and few authority persons were around here. She joined a street gang like Bloods or Cribs wher she finally was acknowledged by somebody. She felt happy for a while and somebody brought her jewelry. Unfortunately she was either a witness to something or she made a mistake and she had to be silenced. She was shot by somebody she knew. While transported to the crime scene her clothes where removed not to spoil the car with blood but the killer didn't bother removing her jewelry. I feel tis one is solvable but nobody cares.

CA - CA - Compton, BlkFem UP4458, 14-17 Dumped in Industrial Area, Sep'75

Could she possibly have been pregnant? Iowa has a Jane doe found in the Mississippi River near Clinton Iowa. Found in 1975 and believed to be between 12-22 years old. Older detectives thought she might have been from Chicago or Milwaukee.

Illinois Cold Cases Facebook page did a post on her 5/26/2019

Illinois Cold Cases
If you’re able to get to this post, there is a comment that is a year old that is asking if another missing woman’s case is this UID. Maybe someone with a newspapers .com subscription can find an original article.

Attachments

• B3436973-3DFE-4767-9944-51EA5A867F1D.jpeg
    B3436973-3DFE-4767-9944-51EA5A867F1D.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 8
Could she possibly have been pregnant? Iowa has a Jane doe found in the Mississippi River near Clinton Iowa. Found in 1975 and believed to be between 12-22 years old. Older detectives thought she might have been from Chicago or Milwaukee.
I think that may be the case the Facebook commenter is referencing.

http:///wiki/Clinton_County_Jane_Doe_(1975)
http:///wiki/Compton_Jane_Doe_(1975)

So, LE have Shirley's DNA since 2017... Did they establish any comparison? Are there any lists of rule outs of these two unidentified girls?

So, LE have Shirley's DNA since 2017... Did they establish any comparison? Are there any lists of rule outs of these two unidentified girls?
I contacted the Grundy County (Illinois) Coroner's Office recently to ask if there is a possibility that Jane Seneca Doe was Shirley. He had sent me an exclusion list for the Jane Doe and Shirley was not on it. When I brought that up, he looked into it and said Shirley's DNA is in CODIS. (Link below explaining CODIS)

He further explained that she wouldn't show on the exclusion list because the Unidentified DNA would automatically go through CODIS to find possible matches and the exclusion list would essentially include everybody in the national system.

If the body was cremated and no DNA was ever preserved/collected, there is likely no way to 100% confirm anything either way. But any other cold unidentified cases where bodies were exhumed or DNA was preserved/collected and put into CODIS, they would most likely be ruled out.

Law enforcement was much different back then and autopsies were not handled even close to how they are today. The coroner I spoke to said that autopsies were often done in funeral homes or garages rather than a county lab.

Was curious if anybody thought if Valina Magee was related to Shirley. Same last name, 1 year apart in age, both went missing in Chicago on their way to school in the Summer. Very little information on both so it's hard to say but others may be better at looking into things than I am. It could just be an odd coincidence given it's Chicago and has a very high population, but it definitely stood out to me.

Missing Person / #MP27064​

Shirley -- Magee, Female, Black / African American

Demographics
Missing Age:12
Current Age:60
Case Number:MP27064
First Name:Shirley
Middle Name:--
Last Name:Magee
Nickname / Alias:--
Height (feet):5
Height (inches):0
Weight (lbs):80
Race / Ethnicity:Black / African American
Circumstances
Date of Last Contact:1973-07-26
Date Modified:2019-05-24

Last Known Location​

County:Cook County
Circumstances of Disappearance:Shirley was last seen on July 26, 1973.

4234DFIL - Shirley Magee​

4234DFIL.jpg
4234DFIL1.jpg

Name: Shirley Magee
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: July 26, 1973
Location Last Seen: Chicago, Cook County, Illinois

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: November 19, 1960
Race: Black
Height: 5'0"-5'3"
Weight: 80-109 lbs
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Brown

Identifiers​

Dentals: Unknown
Fingerprints: Unknown
DNA: Unknown

Clothing & Personal Items​

Clothing: Unknown
Jewelry: Unknown
Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Shirley was last seen on July 26, 1973. She was walking to Harlan High School with her brother. Her brother arrived at school, but she did not. At the time of her disappearance, her family assumed she had gone to stay with relatives.

Investigating Agency(s)​

Agency Name: Chicago Police Department - Area South
Agency Contact Person: Det. John Bryja
Agency Phone Number: 312-747-5789
Agency E-Mail: N/A
Agency Case Number: M14B8409

NamUs Case Number: 27064
NCMEC Case Number: 1233115

Information Source(s)​

NamUs
NCMEC
Cook CO SO