Found Deceased NJ - Luis Garcia, 27, Jersey City, 15 July 2017

LisaWL7TR

Former Member
Reaction score
Luis Garcia, 27, was last seen at a Downtown Jersey City bar at Second Street and Newark Avenue, his friends say.

At the time he went missing he was wearing a black Paramore shirt and dark khaki pants.
Garcia was not wearing his glasses and did not have his phone when he was last seen at about 3 a.m. on Saturday, according to his sister.
He is about 5 feet 8 inches tall and weighs 170 pounds.

https://articles.nj.com/hudson/inde...es_missing_after_stop_in_jersey_city_frie.amp
ebedefd524ace6bc3633ee94a5e5b96a.jpg

http://hudsoncountyview.com/missing...en-in-jersey-city-bar-early-saturday-morning/

A flyer with another photo and some more info (this one of him wearing the Paramore shirt he was last seen wearing).

The last bar he went missing from, Lucky 7s, had their annual barbecue and music festival block party on the Saturday he went missing (at 3:00 AM after going out Friday night). They were setting up starting early in the day, not that it means anything, just that the block had a lot of activity starting the next morning.

Being near water is always a problem, but he wasn't all that close to the waterfront when he went missing, and if he'd attempted to get on the PATH train he'd walk straight past two entrances nearby on Grove street so I doubt he walked toward the water to try to catch a train somewhere.

That area of downtown Jersey City is *very* active when the bars let out, especially on a weekend. Lots of young people, most of them fairly inebriated.

Map of the general location:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/L...53f8cf95256a9e!8m2!3d40.7229656!4d-74.0474207

Also note he's from Fairview NJ so he may not be particularly familiar with Jersey City.

Still missing and the weather has been pretty hot here. Hoping his info gets out there and someone who may have spotted him after the bar could give searchers a sense of where he may have headed next. I wish we knew if he dropped or forgot his phone somewhere or left it at home by mistake that night.

He reminds me of a friend of my son's.
I mapped this and all I can see is the Hudson River.
On the map it changed Newark to County Road 369.
It seems only about a 23 minute walk to the Hudson River Waterfront Walkway. :(
Just remember I am not a map person.

ecb1baa864bd3023ab38d7e9e000b604.jpg

0a2134e60889e9f9194ef6be66388a65.jpg

Yes, it's about a 25 minute walk to the waterfront. He wasn't really familiar with Jersey City outside of the bars/nightlife according to a friend. Unlike in Hoboken, where there are lots of bars near or on the waterfront, Jersey City's waterways are more isolated from nightlife. The path along the water is mostly surrounded by luxury high-rises and corporate offices. The main strip for bars and activity in Jersey City is the Grove street area, which is where he was last seen. Unfortunately it is possible he wandered off toward the water since the NYC skyline is visible down a lot of streets and he may have gone that way if he was inebriated and/or wanted to take in the view. Also unlike Hoboken there are fewer places where it would be easy to enter the water without a lot of effort to get over a railing, so that's hopeful. I'm assuming that the area hospitals have been checked.

So some social media updates from his friends who are worried sick: he wasn't familiar really with Jersey City outside of going to bars there sometimes with friends. He was drunk when he went missing. The people he travelled with to JC left him there (unclear if they left because they gave up trying to find him, or left because he was too drunk and wouldn't couldn't ride home with them). His friends say they don't think he dabbled regularly in drugs other than alcohol- he did not have a drug addiction and they didn't know him to use drugs at all. Until this point he's not had any mental health issues that they are aware of and has never gone missing before. His friends say he's a "lovable goofball" whose disappearance is a mystery.

He lives with his family. His family is planning to (or has already) visited local hospitals in case he was checked in without ID.

There have been recent suspected sighting of him since the bar early saturday morning:

a potential sighting saturday some time after 4pm in Union City near Bergenline near 30th street (my note: this is a neighboring town, Union City is next to Jersey City Heights. It would have been a long but possible walk. There are a lot of renegade shuttle busses/ that travel between Jersey City and Bergenline via Union City so he may have hopped on one of those if he had any cash still)

a potential sighting at the Jersey City MLK light rail station on Sunday morning (my note: this is in the exact opposite direction/ other end of Jersey City. There is a light rail stop on the Union City/Jersey City border so it's possible he hopped on a light rail train and took it to the last stop. The light rail is an honor system meaning passengers are only checked for tickets sometimes so he could have ridden there without money)

a potential sighting Monday around 3pm in Hackensack NJ at the Quickcheck on main street. (my note: there are a few busses that originate in Jersey City and end in Hackensack)

If this is him it sounds as though he's suffering from a mental health crisis and may be in physical distress. People reporting the sightings said he looked confused and lost but was able to ask people for directions. His friends say he may no longer be wearing his shirt (it's been very hot here). He may be very dehydrated.

I live in the area. It is more like a 10 min walk to the river from where he was last seen. I could see it being a challenge if unfamiliar with the area as of how to get to the river itself, however with close proximity to NYC, and the holland tunnel approach nearby from where last seen, the travel possibilities are endless. PATH train (to NYC, Hoboken, and Newark) is close to where he was last seen. He could have gone anywhere. Anyway, I'm following the story and hopeful that he is found unharmed and gets the help he needs and gets home.

I live in the area. It is more like a 10 min walk to the river from where he was last seen. I could see it being a challenge if unfamiliar with the area as of how to get to the river itself, however with close proximity to NYC, and the holland tunnel approach nearby from where last seen, the travel possibilities are endless. PATH train (to NYC, Hoboken, and Newark) is close to where he was last seen. He could have gone anywhere. Anyway, I'm following the story and hopeful that he is found unharmed and gets the help he needs and gets home.
Thanks, I noticed they mentioned another possible location last seen which was closer to the water. Also, I suck at maps! Lol

I immediately think water since so many seem to end up there.

I always hope that the missing person chose to go home with someone that night and returns safe.

Luis's loved ones are doing an amazing job of getting flyers posted throughout Jersey City. This afternoon almost every telephone pole on Palisade Ave. which is a major bus thoroughfare in the heights section has a missing poster on it.

Yesterday I searched down under the overpass off Newark avenue behind the playing fields and skateboard rink where there's a lot of overgrown areas. Unfortunately the foliage is very dense right now and there are a lot of new fenced off sections around the highway bridge structures so I didn't get very far in, but I don't think he would have ended up very far into the bush either. This was before I found out about the possible sightings in Union City and Hackensack.

I'm hoping someone comes across him wandering soon. It's another very hot day here.

Another scorcher of a day and Luis is still missing. Posters are going up in all the right places.

Where are you Luis?

Recovered

My heart hurts-

The body of a Fairview man was found near the Bergen Arches in Jersey City late last week, authorities have confirmed.

Cops found Garcia's lifeless body on Thursday at about 2:40 p.m. near the lower Route 139 highway that leads into the Holland Tunnel, according to a police report. Garcia was found face down in a small body of water, the report says.

Family members were notified of Garcia's death today, according to Fairview Police Chief Martin Kahn.

A spokesman for the Hudson County Prosecutor's Office said Garcia's death is not considered suspicious.

https://articles.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2017/07/body_of_fairview_man_found_in_jersey_city.amp

RIP Luis [emoji257]

oh no! I had a feeling but still. he reminded me a little of one of my sons. RIP Luis

:rose: RIP Luis :rose:

oh no! I had a feeling but still. he reminded me a little of one of my sons. RIP Luis
Luis reminded me of a friend my sons knew growing up in military housing in Jersey. :(

That is why as soon as I saw this young man was missing I posted hoping...he would be found safe that he possibly went home with someone for the night/weekend.[emoji174]

This is so sad.

There was nothing in the media *at all* about a body being found last Thursday. They kept it very quiet. His friends and family were still posting fliers and desperately reaching out on social media over the weekend.

I looked for him from overpasses above the arches down into the path that runs through them last week from both Palisade and Baldwin avenues but didn't see him. It sounds like he was a few blocks further away, closer to Tonnelle. I hope he didn't suffer and I feel so badly for his loved ones.

This is so sad.

There was nothing in the media *at all* about a body being found last Thursday. They kept it very quiet. His friends and family were still posting fliers and desperately reaching out on social media over the weekend.

I looked for him from overpasses above the arches down into the path that runs through them last week from both Palisade and Baldwin avenues but didn't see him. It sounds like he was a few blocks further away, closer to Tonnelle. I hope he didn't suffer and I feel so badly for his loved ones.
I agree it was kept strangely quiet. I feel for the family.

This is so sad.

I agree it was kept strangely quiet. It really hurts to think the family was out searching still and it seems LE didn't alert them on a body found. :(

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆
Back