Multiple Avalanches in US and Europe; Roof collapses on German Ice Rink

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
  • MISSING SKIER FOUND DEAD IN FRENCH ALPS A cross-country skier missing in the French Alps after he was caught in an avalanche at the weekend has been found dead, mountain police said on Monday.
  • Three missing after avalanche in German Alps BERLIN, Jan 2 (Reuters) - Three people are missing after an avalanche overwhelmed 10 skiers in the Bavarian Alps in the south of Germany, mountain rescue services said on Monday.
  • One snowshoer missing, one rescued in Utah avalanche SALT LAKE CITY -- Two snowshoers were caught in an avalanche Saturday high in the mountains of Provo Canyon and one remained missing when heavy snow and the threat of more slides forced rescuers to call off the search.
  • 2 Killed, 1 Missing After Avalanches in 2 States A New Year's Day avalanche killed two men who were snowmobiling near Rocky Mountain National Park northwest of Denver, and a snowshoer was missing and presumed dead after another avalanche in Utah, officials said.

Four dead and a number of others missing in a roof collapse in Germany

BAD REICHENHALL, Germany At least four people are now confirmed dead, and rescuers are looking for more than 20 others still missing after the collapse of a roof on an ice rink in southern Germany.

The roof over the rink in the Bavarian Alps collapsed after a heavy snowfall, with about 50 people inside.

More:

http://www.kbcitv.com/x51828.xml?URL=http://10.56.1.26/APWIREFEED/d8esnea00.xml&NewsSection=InternationalHeadlines

Rescuers Halt Search at German Ice Rink
Rescuers halted their search Tuesday for survivors feared trapped for nearly a full day under the wreckage of a fallen ice rink roof that killed 11 people, including six children, fearing the ruins could collapse further.

Body of 14th Victim Found at German Rink
BAD REICHENHALL, Germany Rescuers pulled three more dead children from the ruins of a skating rink in this Bavarian spa town Wednesday, raising the death toll to 14, and searched the treacherous, shifting rubble for a last missing woman.

Two days after the roof collapsed on people enjoying their Christmas break, a 40-year-old woman was still believed buried in the twisted, snow-covered skeleton of steel and wooden beams. But hope for another miracle _ like the rescue of a 5-year-old girl with only minor injuries the day of the accident _ has dwindled.

Pope Benedict XVI, who grew up nearby, sent a message of sympathy to the grieving town.

Some 50 people were inside Reichenhall's ice rink when the roof collapsed Monday during a heavy snowfall. Many of them were children on the last days of Christmas vacation from school. Eighteen people were injured seriously enough to be hospitalized.

More: http://www.winktv.com/x466.xml?URL=http://localhost/APWIREFEED/d8eu31t82.xml

Death toll in roof collapse hits 15
BAD REICHENHALL, Germany -- Rescue workers early today recovered the body of a woman believed to be the last person missing in the ruins of a skating rink in this Bavarian resort town, bringing the number of dead to 15.
tab.gif
Three days after the roof collapsed on people enjoying their Christmas break, the body a 40-year-old woman was pulled from the twisted, snow-covered skeleton of steel and wooden beams, fire official Rudi Zeif said.
tab.gif
Rescue teams with search dogs and heavy equipment worked through the night yesterday to remove debris from the surface of the ice rink before finding the woman.

More: http://www.southcoasttoday.com/daily/01-06/01-05-06/a12wn377.htm

Thank you for posting about this terrible tragedy. It has been all over the news here, of course.

The sad part is that if the whole thing had happened some 15 minutes later, it would have been half as bad as the ice rink would have been closed by then and people would have left the ice.

Some of the children killed were actually part of a birthday party celebrated by going skating. The birthday girl was killed, too, I believe.

Just imagine wishing your loved ones a happy New Year and two days later they are dead.

Thank you for your concern and for putting attention towards the case.

Wuschel

Wuschel said:
Thank you for posting about this terrible tragedy. It has been all over the news here, of course.

The sad part is that if the whole thing had happened some 15 minutes later, it would have been half as bad as the ice rink would have been closed by then and people would have left the ice.

Some of the children killed were actually part of a birthday party celebrated by going skating. The birthday girl was killed, too, I believe.

Just imagine wishing your loved ones a happy New Year and two days later they are dead.

Wuschel
Thank you for posting more info. I think it's terrible what's happened there. It's like our miners story here. People were waiting to see if there were any survivors, clinging to hope. :( Very sad.

That even more depressing that is was a birthday party for the little girl :(

Prayers to the families and people there dealing with this tragedy.
Bless their hearts and souls.

Mourners remember ice rink victims

HUNDREDS of mourners attended overnight a service of remembrance in the southern German town of Bad Reichenhall for the 15 people, mostly children, who were killed in the collapse of the roof of a local ice rink this week.

Police sealed off the area around the Saint Zeno church, where the interdenominational service was held, preventing television crews and photographers from approaching. "People should have a place set aside for prayer, meditation and a silent time," the priest Rev Helmut Bauer said.

http://www.themercury.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5936,17761196%255E401,00.html

Wuschel said:

Wuschel
What angers me is that I read that they closed the rink for a hockey practice due to the concerns about the roof, yet still continued to let people public skate knowing the dangers!!!:banghead: :mad:

LinasK said:
What angers me is that I read that they closed the rink for a hockey practice due to the concerns about the roof, yet still continued to let people public skate knowing the dangers!!!:banghead: :mad:
I know, that is so bitter. I don't understand how they could leave the ice rink open knowing that they just sent kids home from the practice due to the risk.

Every day, more heartbreaking stories come to light. There is actually a video which was made only like a half hour before the roof collapsed. It shows three girls holding hands, skating together, smiling.

The left and right one made it out on time, the one in the middle did not.

The doctors said that apart from one victim which died because of the cold, everybody was killed immediately, but I am not sure if they are just saying it to console the families of the victims.

Thank you for your attention towards this case.

Wuschel

Wuschel, I think it hits home for me because my little daughter has been taking ice skating lessons for the past six months...

LinasK said:
Wuschel, I think it hits home for me because my little daughter has been taking ice skating lessons for the past six months...
Bless her...and bless you for letting her go out in the world despite all the danger around.

I used to laugh off my parent's worries when I had my teenage party phase and would come home late. I don't have any children now but being a little older and wiser, I can see what went on in their minds.

Wuschel

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
not_just_a_phase
Back