MA - Attorney off his medication, man stabs two neighbors

mysteriew

A diamond in process
Reaction score
The Cheney Street man who allegedly busted in on his neighbors and stabbed two of them Thursday night is off his medication and may not know why he is in jail, his attorney and a psychologist said.

Daniel Westbrook has a history of psychiatric problems including schizophrenia and depression and has not taken his prescribed medication -- Zoloft and Zyprexa -- for about six months, according to his parents.

Dr. Frederick Kelso said Westbrook has been hospitalized for his illness in the past and was quiet, distant, depressed and sad Thursday.

"He plainly told me at one point, ’I don’t know why I’m here’" Kelso told Assistant District Attorney Jacqueline Shanahan.

Westbrook, 20, of 25 Cheney St., was charged with home invasion and two counts of armed assault with intent to murder when he was arrested about 2:30 a.m. yesterday, District Attorney spokeswoman Kathryn Norton said.
http://www.dailynewstribune.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=67598

March 2008:

A former Newton resident charged with stabbing his neighbors in front of their daughter in 2005 was found not guilty by reason of insanity in Middlesex Superior Court yesterday...

Prosecutors charged Westbrook with entering Claudia and Jin Chung’s unlocked kitchen at 21 Cheney St on Dec 29, 2005. As the family was sitting down to dinner, Westbrook cut Claudia Chung’s throat with a knife. Westbrook also cut Jin Chung’s throat, who was shielding himself from Westbrook, said prosecutors...

The Chungs eventually recovered physically from the incident after undergoing surgery...

Following a careful review and examination of his history, three doctors hired separately by the prosecution, defense and Bridgewater State hospital agreed that he could not be held responsible for his actions that day, said Kelly. After his arrest, Westbrook was determined to be a paranoid schizophrenic, who could not decipher the “moral wrongfulness of his behavior”, Kelly said.

http://www.arthurlkellylaw.com/PDF/The_Daily_News_Tribune_3_13_08.pdf

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hoist Gracie