An idea to track missing people

Sherry67

Reaction score
Feel free to tell me if this idea won't work , but when I see all these missing people (children especially ), I just wonder what can be done to find them.

If you can have a microchip inserted into your pet to help them find their way back home.....why can't we take this a step further.

What I suggest is parents having the option of having a GPS trackable chip surgically inserted in their child. It wouldn't be a bad idea for adults as well.
It could be a quick outpatient surgery - much like having ear tubes inserted.
It would of course be very small and not be visible to anyone on the body.

If a child turns up missing a 911 call can be made to "locate" the child.

Think of it as "On-star" for your kids.

Imagine all the questions that would be answered about where these missing children are....I always think about Jacob Wetterling. At the very least the parents could find some closure even if ( God forbid) they find a body instead of a living child/person.

Surely we have the technology to do this in this day and age.
It may also act as a deterent to a potential abductor.

Ok...let me know what you think.

Sherry

Its been done, except with a wrist band...........it costs a fair bit of money, it is the choice of the parents to do this or not.

You would not be able to do this with adults who are the highest percentage of people who go missing.

With a cell phone you can also do this..........last week I knew exactly where my oldest was, I logged onto the computer and could see that he was in the location where he said he was.

I have often wondered why sex offenders couldn't be implanted with a GPS device...oh wait I remember why not...ACLU. :doh:

I think the animal microchips are only to identify pets once they have been found -- I don't think they send out any homing signals. The only homing devices I know of are things like wristbands.

One problem with implanting a microchip homing device, if it even exists, into a child is that it has a great potential to be abused. It's extremely Orwellian -- potentially, the government could, at any time for any reason, find out where any citizen is. Most people, including me, wouldn't want that.

For that matter, if I were a parent I don't know if I would want it for my children either. It screams "I DON'T TRUST YOU" and seems like it could foster a very bad relationship between parent and child. My relationship with my own parents deteriorated markedly after they gave me (more like forced me to accept) a cellular phone which they used as a leash.

I gave my boys a cell to share when they were 12, and they were usually in the neighborhood playing. Once they got driver licenses they each had one. Never know what could happen, and it was more for them to reach me for emergencies. I don't think I called them just to check up on them. They were usually calling to see where I was and when I'd be home to cook! Besides, they are always good about letting me know where they're going without me asking.

So was I -- I always tell people where I'm going and when I'll be back. But I didn't want a cellular phone (I am a bit distrustful of technology) and I told my parents so. They forced me to carry one anyway "for emergencies" but used it instead to check up where I was at. Example:

*ring ring*
"Hello?"
"Where the HELL are you?"
"In a restaurant, Mom. What's the matter?"
"You didn't answer my call three minutes ago!"
"Because it's noisy in here. I didn't hear it."
"Then WHY DON'T I HEAR ANY NOISE IN THE BACKGROUND THEN?"
"Because I'm in the toilet, Mom. What do you want?"
"Nothing. I just wanted to make sure you were all right."

The thing is, I was always where I said I was going to be. But the cell phone thing, them constantly calling, made me want to misbehave and do all the things they thought I was doing. It was dreadful. It lasted until I went to college and refused to take the phone with me.

Cell phones are the greatest thing invented. We know longer worry about anyone being late, the phone rings, we know.

Dog's chips have to be scanned to get the information.

I would like to see something invented small enough to wear on a necklace or in pierced earrings for tracking.

Those things do exist. I remember many years ago when I had some stock in a company called Advanced Digital Solutions, which changed names a few times I think. Their big thing was items such as pins and wrist things that track a child or elderly person. At one point I remember one of their press releases for what they called Digital Angel was for a pin of some sort that a parent can put inside the lining of a jacket so if a child would be abducted it wouldnt be that noticeable that the perp would remove it right away. They also were talking about dog collars that track a missing dog. However, as great as it sounded I think I sold my shares when I found out it was $500.00 and up to get this devise plus would require a monthly service fee and i didnt think it was going to be a large scale sell.. I havent looked into it for a couple years.

Beyond Belief said:
Cell phones are the greatest thing invented. We know longer worry about anyone being late, the phone rings, we know.

Dog's chips have to be scanned to get the information.

I would like to see something invented small enough to wear on a necklace or in pierced earrings for tracking.

I understand the fear of "parent over-control"....but I guess I wasn't referring to something that the parents could just look up at home. This would be something that would require a 911 call to get the ball rolling.....in cases of REAL emergencies....not just checking up on your kids type of thing.

The reason I think it would need to be a small , implantable chip is because it would need to be invisible to any perpetrators. A necklas, wrist band can be easily ripped off and thrown in the garbage...and then what good does it do.
Someone said you couldn't do this to adults....well that would be up to the adult if they wanted to have one implanted or not. Obviously you can't force an adult to do it....but for kids I think it would be very beneficial.
And like I said...it would require the parents placing a call to 911...not just calling and saying, "hey, my kid is 10 minutes late from the dance...find out where he is"

This is really the only thing I think you could do to find kids after they are abducted. It's sooooo easy for an abductor to hide a body ANYWHERE...look at Jacob Wetterling...he's out there SOMEWHERE.

SadieMae said:
I have often wondered why sex offenders couldn't be implanted with a GPS device...oh wait I remember why not...ACLU. :doh:
I don't know how anyone else here feels about the ACLU...but to me, the ACLU can kiss my A$$.

They don't care about kids.....they are basically on the wrong side of every issue.....ie, support for NAMBLA.:furious:

Sherry67 said:
I understand the fear of "parent over-control"....but I guess I wasn't referring to something that the parents could just look up at home. This would be something that would require a 911 call to get the ball rolling.....in cases of REAL emergencies....not just checking up on your kids type of thing.

The reason I think it would need to be a small , implantable chip is because it would need to be invisible to any perpetrators. A necklas, wrist band can be easily ripped off and thrown in the garbage...and then what good does it do.
Someone said you couldn't do this to adults....well that would be up to the adult if they wanted to have one implanted or not. Obviously you can't force an adult to do it....but for kids I think it would be very beneficial.
And like I said...it would require the parents placing a call to 911...not just calling and saying, "hey, my kid is 10 minutes late from the dance...find out where he is"

This is really the only thing I think you could do to find kids after they are abducted. It's sooooo easy for an abductor to hide a body ANYWHERE...look at Jacob Wetterling...he's out there SOMEWHERE.

I like this idea Sherry, and have actually thought of this idea too. I also agree it would only be able to be used in a real emergency. As far as it being expensive, I cant imagine any of the parents, at least on this forum, balking at the cost. $500 initial investment and a monthly charge? Most people probably pay more monthly for their cell phones, cigs, booze, cable and internet bills. I cant see many people griping about the cost, when protecting thier children. Wouldnt it be wonderful if this had been possible to do years ago, and people, like the mother of those two siblings who were murdererd by their father and buried off a highway, would not have had the horrible heartwrenching experience of taking summer vacations and searching off every exit of the highway for her dead children.

CyberLaw said:
Its been done, except with a wrist band...........it costs a fair bit of money, it is the choice of the parents to do this or not.

You would not be able to do this with adults who are the highest percentage of people who go missing.

With a cell phone you can also do this..........last week I knew exactly where my oldest was, I logged onto the computer and could see that he was in the location where he said he was.
I'm not sure why you think that you wouldn't be able to do this with adults. As an adult, people could decide if they want one or not.
When a child becomes an adult they could chose to have it removed.

I don't know...I just think it would solve so many cases and quite possibly prevent abductions ( with Perps not knowing if a child has one or if they are being tracked or not)

lostfaith said:
I like this idea Sherry, and have actually thought of this idea too. I also agree it would only be able to be used in a real emergency. As far as it being expensive, I cant imagine any of the parents, at least on this forum, balking at the cost. $500 initial investment and a monthly charge? Most people probably pay more monthly for their cell phones, cigs, booze, cable and internet bills. I cant see many people griping about the cost, when protecting thier children. Wouldnt it be wonderful if this had been possible to do years ago, and people, like the mother of those two siblings who were murdererd by their father and buried off a highway, would not have had the horrible heartwrenching experience of taking summer vacations and searching off every exit of the highway for her dead children.
exactly...and I can't see it being abused..any more that people abuse calling 911 now.

Sherry67 said:
I'm not sure why you think that you wouldn't be able to do this with adults. As an adult, people could decide if they want one or not.
Well, it couldn't be a mandatory thing with adults.
I still don't like the idea. While it sounds wonderful in theory, I can see all sorts of nightmarish situations cropping up from it: i.e. the government using the chips without our knowledge to monitor our children's every move, or kidnappers chopping limbs off live children in an effort to get rid of the chip.

meggilyweggily said:
Well, it couldn't be a mandatory thing with adults.
I still don't like the idea. While it sounds wonderful in theory, I can see all sorts of nightmarish situations cropping up from it: i.e. the government using the chips without our knowledge to monitor our children's every move, or kidnappers chopping limbs off live children in an effort to get rid of the chip.

Like with anything, problems could arise, of course. But, I really cant see a reason that the gov. would care where little jenny is at 3 years of age. It can always be removed at adult hood, or any time a parents wants it removed. It would not be mandatory, it would be up to each parent weather they wanted it for their child or not. As far as a kidnapper chopping of a limb for it, how many kidnappers return a child alive? They are probably gonna kill the child anyway, what is there to loose?

This doesnt have to be controlled by the gov. anyway. It could be a private monitoring system. I think it is a great idea!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060213/ap_on_hi_te/security_chips

"It's a passive chip. It emits no signal whatsoever," Darks said. "It's the same thing as a keycard."

<snip>

The technology predates World War II, but has appeared in numerous modern adaptations, such as tracking pets, vehicles and commercial goods at warehouses.

Although these two chips do not emit a signal, based on the "numerous modern adaptions" of tracking pets, vehicles and goods, it does not seem far fetched to believe the technology to track humans will soon be available at some cost

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe the microchips implanted in pets don't "track" them and are only to identify them if they are located. As for the car devices, I know they are certainly not microchip-sized. There are all sorts of bulky bracelets and stuff to track human beings but I have never heard of one for sale that could be implanted under the skin and would actually work.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zipperoni
Back