1295 users online (286 members and 1009 guests)  

Websleuths News

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Farm View Post
    We all have a right to our own opinions. When i was in school in the 60's I remember what was called the rattan which was basically a bamboo whip across the hand.
    And children were respectful and behaved. Today what we have is a bunch of out of control children killing each other, killing their parents, commiting suicide at 7 years old etc. No rules, no morals, no values. They rule the schools and they rule the teachers. THEY have control.
    I no longer rely on statistics or studies on most things. Usually they end up years later saying ohhhh that's wrong.
    And to the above poster that said this could get heated yes I thought the same thing so this will be my last post on this thread....lol
    Indeed, these "out of control" children are the ones who were raised by the "respectful and behaved" children who were beaten at home and in school.

Just some food for thought.
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    Indeed, these "out of control" children are the ones who were raised by the "respectful and behaved" children who were beaten at home and in school.

Just some food for thought.
    Almost as though they never actually learned social skills and therefore can't teach social skills to their own.
    Unless specified otherwise and linked, my posts are simply random thoughts of mine, in no particular order, not directed at any post or poster, including but not limited to the ones directly above mine. My opinion only, yours may vary. IMO. JMO. IMHO. JMHO. MOO. Disclaimer, small print, asterisk, and etc.

Quote Originally Posted by flourish View Post
    Yes this! Also there seems to frequently be some kind of "revenge" component... Like, "it happened to me so I refuse to spare you" and like it's some kind of basic unspoken requirement to not do better. My grandpa beat the crap out of my dad growing up, but thank goodness my dad recognized that wasn't the best way... Not that there wasn't ever physical punishment, but not nearly like the ones to which he was subjected.
    My daughter's father got the crap beaten out of him too, and his dad stopped once he started hitting back. So all of a sudden hitting was wrong! He spent years teaching him it's okay to hit when you don't get your way, what do you expect? My ex went through years of therapy and learned some self-awareness and he never hit any of his own children, but I think trying to fight with his own dad was when the sky opened and he saw how stupid it all was.

We don't hit because hitting is wrong, but it's okay to hit someone for hitting.

Kind of like killing is wrong unless we're killing someone who killed someone else.

Facts are facts. Opinions aren't facts. Of course you've chosen to discount research so that's just... Swell

And OMG the psychological effects of that period continue to linger... Again if the appearance of good behavior is all that's important then I suppose it seems fine but there are ramifications for creating a generation of scared robots who behave not because they have developed social skills but from fear
    Personally, I like it when my neighbors, for instance, hit me if I do something wrong in their eyes, And of course, having my husband correct my behavior by hitting is the right thing to do.

Oh, wait a minute. Those are crimes. Assault is a crime,

But a person hitting someone who is not even half the size is ok, Hm. Gotta meditate on that.,Won't ask anyone though, Don't want to be considered cheeky and get a swat

I had no idea, I thought it was completely abolished in all states.
    I thought so too and had to look it up.

Blue = Corporal punishment in schools prohibited
    Red = Corporal punishment not prohibited

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School..._United_States

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post

Interesting map... when you really take a minute to look at it...
    "Sell your cleverness and buy bewilderment" - Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by CoolJ View Post
    Interesting map... when you really take a minute to look at it...
    I noticed that too. A lot of USA maps follow a similar pattern: poverty, education level attained, literacy, teen pregnancy, high school graduation rates.

A huge problem is that physical punishment can easily become a way for the parent to vent anger, which helps no one.

What the kid really needs is calm discussion about why the parent is displeased. A "teachable moment" handled well is a thousand times more effective than inflicting pain.

If physical punishment were culturally taboo, then abusive parents wouldn't be able to hide behind that concept as an excuse for their abuse. As it is now, kids who are being abused often aren't even aware that what's happening to them isn't okay. They think it's normal to be hit or slapped or otherwise hurt, because they understand that a lot of parents spank and that it's culturally acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyGirl View Post

I also thought it was abolished. It's abolished in the 3 states I've lived in...all very liberal states (CA, VT and WA).

Quote Originally Posted by bluesneakers View Post
    I noticed that too. A lot of USA maps follow a similar pattern: poverty, education level attained, literacy, teen pregnancy, high school graduation rates.
    Even though most of them are in the South or Midwest, I'm surprised that there are 4 on the West Coast--well, I should just say Colorado surprised me. The others, not really. I expected Alaska to have corporal punishment, for some reason.
    Proverbs 19:17

Buckskin Girl - Facebook page - Websleuths thread
    Arroyo Grande Jane Doe - Facebook page - Websleuths thread

Teachers who will have biases,especially against children of color should not be in a position to physically assault them. I hope no parents go along with this.
    http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_D0HC8RFXZVo/Sm4sWrmXXiI/AAAAAAAAAOs/fe1Urm9FPpQ/s400/mbfashion.gif

We all have a right to our own opinions. When i was in school in the 60's I remember what was called the rattan which was basically a bamboo whip across the hand.
    And children were respectful and behaved. Today what we have is a bunch of out of control children killing each other, killing their parents, commiting suicide at 7 years old etc. No rules, no morals, no values. They rule the schools and they rule the teachers. THEY have control.
    I no longer rely on statistics or studies on most things. Usually they end up years later saying ohhhh that's wrong.
    And to the above poster that said this could get heated yes I thought the same thing so this will be my last post on this thread....lol
    Science has proven, if you had not been beaten as a child, you would be smarter.

Children Who Are Spanked Have Lower IQs, New Research Finds
    https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0924231749.htm

Everyone who posts on FB or says they are ok even though were spanked are people who are not ok. It is sad there is such a lack of self awareness.

Almost as though they never actually learned social skills and therefore can't teach social skills to their own.
    That's why court ordered parenting classes are so important to abusers, many of them have never known of anything different.
    It's been passed down in families and communities for generations.
    Maybe if enough of them are educated through the courts, the ones that get it will pass it on to their friends and the children in their charge and it will catch on.

They poo poo years of studies to defend their own abuse, it takes a village a make that kind of change and those red states are still promoting, "spare the rod, spoil the child".

The red states with corporal punishment of their children also have a much higher rate of punishing disabled children.
    IMG_6651.jpg

http://www.businessinsider.com/19-st...ishment-2014-3

Then there's the Pearl method to "raise up a child".
    I'm sure y'all know about them because of the dead children.

They say you should start hitting them at around 7 months, to train them.

You set them up by putting a toy just out of reach, when they reach for it, you "switch" them. (hit with a branch, caning)
    They say this is how you "gun proof" them. You put a gun just out of reach...

They have a wife training book too.

Quote Originally Posted by modesty blaise View Post
    Teachers who will have biases,especially against children of color should not be in a position to physically assault them. I hope no parents go along with this.
    In the district my children grew up in (West Texas), the principal administered the "paddling." I signed a form at the beginning of the year denying permission to spank them. I don't know what would have happened if the administer felt they ever "needed" to be spanked as it never occurred...they were good kids, despite the fact they were never spanked at home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast