GUILTY VA - Morgan Young, 21, shot to death, Chesapeake, 2 Jan 2006

Ummm - OK, I'm not nice... but still, those guys are obnoxious! Karma caught up with them. I hate the door to door salesmen, and religious salesmen (no matter what religion) are the worst!

Details said:
Ummm - OK, I'm not nice... but still, those guys are obnoxious! Karma caught up with them. I hate the door to door salesmen, and religious salesmen (no matter what religion) are the worst!

That's some strong karma there. I just don't answer the door and throw their pamplets away.

ETA: Just to clarify, when I said "that's some strong Karma there" I was being sarcastic as in that was a ridiculous comment! I'm sure many knew what I meant, but I would hate to be misunderstood considering what a tragedy this was!

Details said:
I think that if you dont like them open the door and tell them to leave, point blank, there is no need for this kind of violence no matter what!!

Hey, I'm not saying it's right, just that in a black humor kind of way, it's a bit of payback for all the people they've annoyed. They aren't much trouble to me - I say no thanks, and shut the door, but my husband is one of the many people too nice to shut the door on someone who keeps talking - I've had to rescue him a few times.

Details said:
Hey, I'm not saying it's right, just that in a black humor kind of way, it's a bit of payback for all the people they've annoyed. They aren't much trouble to me - I say no thanks, and shut the door, but my husband is one of the many people too nice to shut the door on someone who keeps talking - I've had to rescue him a few times.
oh i know they are annoying everytime i see a boy on a bike with a back pack coming to my house i run, and my hubby isnt nice to them at all....

I think it's a bit harsh to say it's "karma" or "payback." A 21-year-old kid got killed and another is in the hospital with two bullets and a 24 hour guard. They were in the WRONG PLACE at the WRONG TIME. Simple as that.

I understand unwanted visitors are annoying but to call it karma or payback is heartless.

I went back an read the original story on fox news that was posted and it didn't say why they were shot. I live in Utah and our news reported that they had witnessed a shooting. When the shooter saw them, he turned the gun on them. This was not a case of "Let's shoot the annoying Mormons."

They weren't shot on someone's door step. They were shot walking down the street - public property.

Annoying or not, I'm sure that no one is implying it's ok to be shot on our streets.

I don't think it was either - they were in the wrong place - karma isn't direct - it's like if you steal from a store, then later you are running a store and are penalized for not preventing enough shoplifting, or something is stolen from you - karma. Not that I'm a believer, but that's what the term means.

I'm not blaming them for their deaths, nor saying they annoyed enough people that one of them went out and shot them. But it is a little darkly humorous, especially to anyone who has previously been subject to all the annoying people who knock on your door to bring you nothing you have requested nor shown any interest in.

I am totally appalled at reading some of the replies. When a young child is murdered the outcry is loud and strong as well as it should be. These 2 young men were nothing more than boys. They are someone's child. Anytime there is a senseless death we should be outraged. Not that they deserved it or it is kind of funny. I just can't believe that. :furious:

I am a Mormon and I am hoping my young son goes on a mission. He is 15 almost 16 now. I have 2 nephews on missions now. Each of these young men saved their own money and pay their own way in the mission field. This is something they believe in and felt they wanted to spend 2 years of their life and around $400 a month for that 24 months.

I hope your those of you who have replied in an unkind manner take a good look at yourself and think about your children if you have any. Now do you feel the same way?

michelle said:
oh i know they are annoying everytime i see a boy on a bike with a back pack coming to my house i run, and my hubby isnt nice to them at all....
Really? That's very sad, imo.

A polite, no thank you should work! Why, if they're not being RUDE to someone, should they be talked down to?

I am not Mormon, by the way, but know many that are great people. I can think of many worse things these boys could be doing, imo.

imo imo imo:twocents:

They are doing what they feel is the right thing and their calling. I only don't open the door because I am a sucker and would invite them in......I'm not good at saying no and why waste their time when I'm not interested.

Someone shooting them just disgusts me. That's as sick as someone shooting trick or treaters out on Halloween.

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,635173584,00.html

snip

Morgan Young was a graduate of Bountiful High School, where he excelled in computer science. He had spent nearly two years in Virginia on a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was due to return home in March and planned to study computer science at Brigham Young University.
"He was a very outgoing young man and he was as excited as could be to be going on his mission," said Winslow Young, of Centerville, Utah.
The family was in regular contact with Young, who never expressed any concerns about his safety, his grandfather said. He described his grandson as easygoing and happy in his work for the church, and as a leader for the younger children in his extended family.
"Whenever we had the family together, the other grandchildren would be climbing all over him," he said.
Young was the oldest of four children.

Sassygerl said:
They are doing what they feel is the right thing and their calling. I only don't open the door because I am a sucker and would invite them in......I'm not good at saying no and why waste their time when I'm not interested.
Me too! Having teenage sons, I always think I should give these boys a glass of water or something.

This is so sad. My best friend was Mormon, but has left the religion. The rest of her family has not however, and two of her brothers also served as missionaries. I have wondered how safe it is over the years when I see them here and there on their bikes. Just young boys trying to do what was expected of them. I feel so badly for the families involved.

Can't say I would ever encourage my kids to go door to door bothering people either - least of all about religion - that's a private matter - a person will approach someone if they want to learn about a different religion. Girl Scout cookies maybe - only to neighbors we know and talk to.

Yes, of course I'm sorry for the young men and their families. Doesn't mean I like or even tolerate missionaries all that well. If the title was about telemarketers being shot, I'd find that humorous in the same way. It's just like the Darwin awards - dark humor. Finding something funny or ironic in a depressing situation.

I don't think it's very safe - I see them walking around here, on my drive to work every here and there - two guys in white shirts, black pants, nicely dressed. They don't know the area, don't know where it is and isn't safe to go (sad that there are places it isn't safe to go, but true).

IdahoMom said:
Really? That's very sad, imo.

A polite, no thank you should work! Why, if they're not being RUDE to someone, should they be talked down to?

I am not Mormon, by the way, but know many that are great people. I can think of many worse things these boys could be doing, imo.

imo imo imo:twocents:
i am not saying that its right, i replied that in my first post that violence towards anybody is unacceptable, my hubby is a grown man and if someone is persistant at our home our front door he is going to reply how he wants, i on the other hand give them a kind no thanks...and probably a cookie....:innocent:

This is absolutley tragic and I feel terrible for these young mens and their families.

As for opening the door - I don't open the door to anyone I don't know. I go to the window and through the window nicely say "I don't open the door to people I don't know. Please leave". With my phone in hand where it can be seen.
No matter how someone is dressed or what they say they are there for I can't trust that. It is for my own safety not to be rude or disrespectful to anyone.

mic730 said:
This is absolutley tragic and I feel terrible for these young mens and their families.

As for opening the door - I don't open the door to anyone I don't know. I go to the window and through the window nicely say "I don't open the door to people I don't know. Please leave". With my phone in hand where it can be seen.
No matter how someone is dressed or what they say they are there for I can't trust that. It is for my own safety not to be rude or disrespectful to anyone.
that is true, i dont open the door either, i always hold the phone in my hand too, lol....its like i am saying dont mess with me or i will call the police, or better yet crack someone on the head with it if they try anything funny!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
branditau.wareham72@gmail
Back