1013 users online (196 members and 817 guests)  

Websleuths News

IL - Art Mattson, 63, Chicago, Aug 2005

Remains Are Those Of Missing SW Side Man

Man Disappeared Last August

(CBS) CHICAGO The Cook County Medical Examiner's office says the skeletal remains found Monday along railroad tracks on the Southwest Side have been identified as those of 63-year-old Art Mattson, who disappeared last August.

WBBM Newsradio 780's Steve Miller reports Mattson's wife filed a missing persons report with Chicago police on August 10. The remains were found along the tracks at 77th and Central Park Avenue a block from the family's home.

More: http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/lo...003190417.html
    Rest in Peace to my best buddy and baby, Buster ~ He crossed the Rainbow Bridge on Jan. 3, 2011. I miss you, Buster and love you with all my being.

the beautiful SF Bay area

How does this happen

Found that close to his home? How can cases like these happen? I see it all the time. Surely they should have searched that close to the home of the person who is missing....

Exerpt (bolding and underlining is mine):

Carol Mattson says her husband disappeared August 9. She told police her husband had been drinking and that she she told police to check the railroad tracks near the home.

But she says they did not.

"They said he's an alcoholic, 63 years old, he's a manic depressive, and when they find bones some place they'll let me know."

Chicago police say they have carried on a thorough investigation into the disappearance of Art Mattson and did check the area where he was reported missing.