OK - Cody Adair, 4, mauled to death by dog, Bartlesville, 3 Jan 2006

PrayersForMaura

Help Find Maura Murray
Reaction score
adair-cody.jpg

A pit bull terrier killed a little boy in Bartlesville Friday. 4-year old Cody Adair was killed by his uncle's dog.

More: http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=96418

I love animals to death, especially dogs. But I seem to see so many Pit bull stories in the news. I bet we could have a pit bull forum here at web sleuths with all the death stories posted. :(

It's a shame, too. :(
It doesn't have to be this way.

Pit Bull Terriers Housed At Tulsa Animal Shelter Still In Limbo
The Tulsa Animal Shelter is caring for 50 pit bull terriers [American Staffordshire Terriers] it would like to do something with, but can't. They were evidence in a dog fighting case. That case has been resolved, but without the suspect claiming ownership of the dogs.

As a result, they are taking up space and are costing the shelter money. News on 6 Rick Wells says welcome to limbo, which is where some pit bulls are living. Somewhere between being seized as evidence in a court case and a final resolution of their status.

More
http://www.kotv.com/main/home/stories.asp?whichpage=1&id=96431

This is a two-page article, don't forget to click on page 2!
It's so sad. While these dogs are being kept there, other dogs are being euthanized because there's no place for them.
It's not fair! :(

I feel both ways about pit bulls. The ones I've known have been the MOST adorable dogs. Really, the most adorable. My college boyfriend had a roommate with a pit bull, named Kahlua, and she was the coolest dog on the planet. Sweetest, most loving, smartest. The other pit bull I've known well was owned by the owner of a skate park here in Austin. He was a big old brawny muscular dog, absolutely the sweetest thing on earth. He loved on the kids who paid attention to him, and left the ones alone who didn't initiate contact with him. He put up with being skated into, and skated over, and whooshed by, and loud bangs here and there in the indoor park with great humor. He calmly watched kids zooming past him on bikes and licked the faces of kids who came up from behind him and grabbed him. Amazing dog.

THe thing that gets me, is you can't tell with these dogs. I swear, some have a ticking time bomb inside them and YOU CAN'T TELL if they're about to blow up. Percentage wise it's not many that blow up but when they do, you can't stop their attack easily - usually it takes actually killing them.

I'd love to have one, based on the ones I've known, but I never will because I swear it's like a random brain chip they have. And suddenly, like programmed, BAMM they go off. Or they don't, they live their entire lives as sweet dear dogs. You can't tell. Unlike chows and german shepherds and collies who attack, everyone knows all along the ones that are likely to attack, and an adult with a club can stop the attack.

It's so sad.

A lot of shelters will automatically euthanize them, and the no kill shelters will not accept those dogs. The are not adopted out either, too risky.

Such a shame to read another story of a little kid being killed by a family "pet". These dogs should not be allowed around children, PERIOD. Those than own them should be required to have a very big insurance policy, or face an automatic jail sentence should their "pet" harm someone if they are not insured. Maybe the cost of the premiums will keep the irresponsible riff-raff from owning these dogs. When will people realize these dogs are not pets, they're killers.

SadieMae said:
Those than own them should be required to have a very big insurance policy, or face an automatic jail sentence should their "pet" harm someone if they are not insured.
Many insurance companies will not insure a home if there is a dog of this breed in the house (regardless of previous bites).

To the Uncle's credit - the dog was chained and in a pen. It's not like he allowed the dog run of the house while this boy was there.

It's another sad thing that could have been avoided with parental supervision. Who in their right mind lets a 4 year old outside alone to play without watching them?

gamegirl said:
It's another sad thing that could have been avoided with parental supervision. Who in their right mind lets a 4 year old outside alone to play without watching them?
That is my thoughts exactly!!! I have a 4 1/2 year old and there is NO WAY he is outside out of my sight....

KatherineQ said:
I feel both ways about pit bulls. The ones I've known have been the MOST adorable dogs. Really, the most adorable. My college boyfriend had a roommate with a pit bull, named Kahlua, and she was the coolest dog on the planet. Sweetest, most loving, smartest. The other pit bull I've known well was owned by the owner of a skate park here in Austin. He was a big old brawny muscular dog, absolutely the sweetest thing on earth. He loved on the kids who paid attention to him, and left the ones alone who didn't initiate contact with him. He put up with being skated into, and skated over, and whooshed by, and loud bangs here and there in the indoor park with great humor. He calmly watched kids zooming past him on bikes and licked the faces of kids who came up from behind him and grabbed him. Amazing dog.

THe thing that gets me, is you can't tell with these dogs. I swear, some have a ticking time bomb inside them and YOU CAN'T TELL if they're about to blow up. Percentage wise it's not many that blow up but when they do, you can't stop their attack easily - usually it takes actually killing them.

I'd love to have one, based on the ones I've known, but I never will because I swear it's like a random brain chip they have. And suddenly, like programmed, BAMM they go off. Or they don't, they live their entire lives as sweet dear dogs. You can't tell. Unlike chows and german shepherds and collies who attack, everyone knows all along the ones that are likely to attack, and an adult with a club can stop the attack.

It's so sad.
I know what you mean. I've been around some very friendly pit bulls, but, you just can't tell which ones will decide to attack. What a shame, too.
So so very sad about the little boy. I'm sure the uncle was completely in shock over losing his nephew and his beloved animal on the same day.

GreenEyedGirl said:
I know what you mean. I've been around some very friendly pit bulls, but, you just can't tell which ones will decide to attack. What a shame, too.
So so very sad about the little boy. I'm sure the uncle was completely in shock over losing his nephew and his beloved animal on the same day.

It was his fault, so hopefully the "shock" will wear off soon and the realization that you cannot safely keep a pit bull will sink in.

gamegirl said:

Exactly

You know.... working as a dispatcher in my county, I got a call om 911 about a year ago from the neighbor of a pitbull owner. This call originated from MY NEIGHBORHOOD, so you can imagine my horror. This neighbor called to say that her small children had been in THEIR OWN FENCED IN YARD when the neighbors pit bull came under the fence. The mother was out hanging clothes on the line, and noticed the dog coming under the fence. She got the children inside and called 911 when the dog started tearing up the stuffed animals were playing with in the yard. CAN you imagine what that dog would have done with the children? Animal control took the dog because the owner was not home and they said the dog was emaciated and hungry.... I've since driven by the house where the dog is/was, and there is not a dog there, so I assume the owners did not get the dog from the shelter. SCARY.

mssheila said:
You know.... working as a dispatcher in my county, I got a call om 911 about a year ago from the neighbor of a pitbull owner. This call originated from MY NEIGHBORHOOD, so you can imagine my horror. This neighbor called to say that her small children had been in THEIR OWN FENCED IN YARD when the neighbors pit bull came under the fence. The mother was out hanging clothes on the line, and noticed the dog coming under the fence. She got the children inside and called 911 when the dog started tearing up the stuffed animals were playing with in the yard. CAN you imagine what that dog would have done with the children? Animal control took the dog because the owner was not home and they said the dog was emaciated and hungry.... I've since driven by the house where the dog is/was, and there is not a dog there, so I assume the owners did not get the dog from the shelter. SCARY.
That is very scary, and that woman is very lucky she saw the dog under the fence. Very close call, in my opinion. How sad is it that one would have to run inside because of a dog? These dogs should be banned. MOO

Snip from news article
(Bartlesville has always had an ordinance requiring dogs be kept in a fence or on a short leash. The dangerous dog ordinance doesn't take effect until the end of the month. It wouldn't have had an effect on this case, because the dog didn't have a history of biting anyone. Lt Mike Richardson: "We had no, the police had no calls or contact, regarding that dog."

The previous attacks on children have largely been dogs running loose. This one was a family pet, which police were told had never been aggressive)

>>>>
How many times have we heard that a pitbull that attacked has NEVER BEEN AGRESSIVE before.I am so tired of hearing it and sick of kids and adults paying with their lives .I love dogs and I have seen some pitbulls that are very loving dogs but I would never risk owning one .:mad:
And I would NEVER leave my 4 yr old in a yard playing on their own even if there was no pitbull.

mssheila said:

Wow. That is scary, but a quick reaction by the mother probably saved her children's lives.

The faullt in this case lies not with the dog,but with the person responsible for the child.It is said the dog had no violent history,obviously no one was watching the child,and the attack was not witnessed.It seems quite possible that the child could have in some way antagonized the dog,maybe he pulled its tail or was poking it ...The dog was tied/confined,so the child did have to venture into its territory.No real way of knowing what rally happened here its all speculation at best.BUT there is no speculation in the simple FACT that someone is an unfit gaurdian here.Should have euthanized them and let the dog live....IMO

I've got to say, I would never allow my children in a home with a pitbull, no matter how nice the dog might be. They snap... it's been proven time and time again. I wouldnt allow my children around one.

proadvocate said:
The faullt in this case lies not with the dog,but with the person responsible for the child.It is said the dog had no violent history,obviously no one was watching the child,and the attack was not witnessed.It seems quite possible that the child could have in some way antagonized the dog,maybe he pulled its tail or was poking it ...The dog was tied/confined,so the child did have to venture into its territory.No real way of knowing what rally happened here its all speculation at best.BUT there is no speculation in the simple FACT that someone is an unfit gaurdian here.Should have euthanized them and let the dog live....IMO
You gotta be kidding. Blaming the four year old victim. I guessed he deserved it messing with such a sweet dog. Pit bulls do not belong in city limits, caged or on chains. What kind of life is that even for a dog. The majority of people who own dogs, shouldn't and this guy is one of them.

The child will naturally go toward a dog. Of course, dont all children want to "pet the puppy"? I am sure there was a lack of supervision, but dang, this kid just did what all kids would...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow
Back