Accountability and the Media

lynie

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
What a tragic turn of events in case of the bad reporting of the the coal miners being alive, then confirmed dead...

Both CNN and MSNBC has been saying that they reported that the miners were alive because of reports from the families. The families reported that as fact because of a lady in the church saying it...

Yet no officials would confirm....

What is the responibility of the press? In high school we learned to check sources again and again, does this not apply anymore? Whose fault is this terrible mistake of reporting?

Now Rita Crosby is saying shame on the officials for not stopping the press and what they were reporting... :doh:

They seem to be blaming everyone but themselves...

lynie said:
Now Rita Crosby is saying shame on the officials for not stopping the press and what they were reporting... :doh:

They seem to be blaming everyone but themselves...
And you're surprised at this?....:waitasec:

Nope...not at all!!

I think it is a definate example of how the press is eager to jump at having the "scoop" first, that they no longer check and double check facts and sources...sadly...

To them it is all a big gamble.Print what they got,if it turns out accurate they roll in cash.....If not,Oh well it was the sources fault they tried....:croc:

I understand that the media has some responsibility in this...
but PLEASE!!
The Governor and Hatfield knew within 20 min
of the reports that it wasn't true!!
Do we not hold Governors to higher standards than the media??
They said that it was announced on the speaker at the mine that all 12 survived by someone on the rescue team!
The Governor made the comment to the media
"Miracles do happen"
The media was reporting what everyone heard ... including the Governor!
Not ONE time did the Governor or Hatfield say it was unconfirmed!
Nor did they say otherwise!

My question is...
Why when the Governor and Hatfield found out it wasn't true didn't they tell the families??
If you want to place blame.... place it where it belongs!!

The "media" doesn't care about anything but selling paper or air time. There is no quality in journalism any more. They figure they'll just issue a correction later if they have to.

Everyone at the church was celebrating, church bells were ringing, the Governor left saying " Miracles do happen" People from inside the church come running out ecstatic that all 12 were found alive. People were crying, hugging and cheering.

Was the press supposed to ignore all of that? They were reporting live. CNN did report that no official confirmation has come yet. I heard it several times. Over at Fox, Rita was reporting that one went to the hospital and the other 11 were going to meet their loved ones at the church...in about 45 minutes!

Personally, I began getting a sinking feeling that something was wrong when no more ambulances left and no press conference was held. At the one hour mark....by the two hour mark...I was getting really worried...by 2:45 am, When the woman ran out of the church with her two children and reported all 11 died, I can say I was still shocked and stunned. You could heard screams coming from the church and she reported a brawl inside the church.

Can't imagine anything more devastating.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
legalpyro74
Back